What is the most important part of a shave?

The most important ingredient for a GREAT shave is the

• environment and 'atmosphere'

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • pre-shave preperation

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • choice of brush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • soap/cream (the lather)

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • razor/blade (or combination thereof)

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • technique, how you shave

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • post shave products (after shave splash, balm etc)

• cologne at the end

• chiselled, yet boyish, good looks - like hunnymonster

• Total voters
I vote soap/cream (the lather) having a real good lather and slickness with a enough for your safety & straight razor to glide as much as possible to prevent any irritation throughout you're shave is very important.

Really interesting to hear different perspectives!

@Mark1966 why did you change you're avatar :p what are you try to say the most important part of a shaving? that people nick people :D:p

Just a variation on a theme ...

Guns-Dont-Kill-People.jpg

Seems to be a consistent theme in the poll votes...

I'd say that learning that my beard grows in a pattern that changes from each zone of my face - and therefore the direction of the razor strokes I need to use on each portion of my own face will not match the videos I watched when I first began.

Along with this beard - pattern thing is that a good close shave results from more that just a single pass. So first stroke follows the grain patterns of my face. Then re-wet/re-strop/re-lather and take next pass across the grain.

Well that's how it works for me...I'm now a straight razor guy since I found that disposables clog so quick due to my beard/skin/fast growth rate.

Really interested in reading he views here - the different perspectives are fascinating.

It's funny how the views differ, and talks to the whole DSDF thing. For me, I can shave with an ok lather provided my technique is good. However if my technique lapses (like it did 3 weeks ago now), I'll suffer from ingrowns on my neck which take (what seems like) an eternity to heal. Both are undoubtedly very important, but the ramifications of poor technique are a lot worse for me.

25 votes so far...
Lather - 9 votes
Technique - 8 votes
Pre-Shave - 7 votes

IMO (since we're asking) is that technique trumps. Why?
- Lather provides slickness and cushion and yet you could use high end artisan, oil, foam or Arko!!! and still be able to have a great shave.
- Preparation (Pre-Shave) is important, but not critical. You could miss the shower or the glycerine pre-shave soap or hot face towel and the lather you prepare (especially if you face lather) is enough to hydrate your whiskers.
Lather and Preparation are important to a great shave. But technique is critical for a great shave because it comes down to acquiring and using skills.
Skills must be learnt. For without learning certain skills (the critical angle for example) you will never have a great shave (that removes whiskers cleanly, completely and without pain). You can have everything else, but without technique you can't have a great shave.

I guess we can all debate (and we have!) the point, but it all hinges on how you define "a great shave".

They are all important, but in my opinion if you have a dud blade, you got a dud blade and nothing will help.

They are all important, but in my opinion if you have a dud blade, you got a dud blade and nothing will help.

True, but you can always change blades!

Environment, as if distracted or not in a place of zen, every other step will suffer, resulting in a substandard shave experience.
It's how I managed to butcher my upper lip the day of the Sydney meeting, impromptu visitor to the bathroom while shaving, so I'm talking from experience ;)

Mrs came into the bathroom today whilst I was shaving and asked me how I was going. This is a platitude and typically she will hope for a "good, you?" type reply so she can get something off her chest. Today the reply was "shaving". She sat there on the loo for a few seconds before working out that meant "now is not the time"!