What other hobbies [past or present] do you have?

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
The title really says it all - what else do you spend your time and money on? I know we have knife fans, BBQ-ers, coffee roasters, watch collectors - what are your other passions, or ones you had in the past and have maybe let go?

I'll start by confessing that I was a war-gamer, WWII tabletop games using 1/72 scale models.

It will probably surprise nobody to find out that I ended up with a few ...

ehjNZ5hl.jpg

AiwnPovl.jpg

... these pics were taken before I sold them all to the local wargaming group in CBR when I realised they were just sitting around in boxes. (Click on any of the links for bigger pics)

(Click on any of the links for bigger pics)

Last edited:
Oh dear, where should I start.

I would define wet-shaving and restoring straight razors as being one hobby with multiple aspects

I love skiing, try to go at least once a year.

I love sailing, but this I do far less than I'd like.

I love photography.

I try to refrain from spending too much in the last two, although I will admitI just bought myself a new camera a few months ago.

I also used to play guitar, I still can but haven't done it for ages.

That looks SOOOO cool @bernie01! I did a flight as a pax out of Cooma a few years back - great fun.

Viking @Bucephalus wearing thigh high boots - it conjures up images ;)

Sailing - now people talk about the money I've spent ...

Enjoy @Mastropiero !

I've played the guitar on and off; I never really committed long enough to get somewhere with it. Someday I'll pick it up again.
Exactly this as well

+ Metallica - both collecting and travelling around to world to see them (which I can't wait to do again)

+ Scuba Diving - which is now also a new career, but I love to dive for fun as well (mostly in caves)

Was a very keen spearfisherman in my day, but fitness and ear issues has hampered this.
Also hunted in the outback, but strickly on the basis that I kept and used the meat.
Loved playing, then coaching both football (round ball) and cricket.
A very enthusiatic amateur cook.
Regular international travel with my work has allowed me to immerse myself in other cultures - a wonderful experience.

Collecting and using:
  • Watches, pocket watches, and clocks
  • Fountain Pens
  • Knives

Last edited:
Always music: played violin and double-bass at professional level until arthritis put a stop to that. Doesn't stop me listening though. (Classical and jazz.) Also, in no particular order, computer programming (I was a sysprog for years) sailing, diving, blacksmithing (another career path for some 15 years or so), cheese making, jewellery making, woodwork, reading, fishing...

Never enough time... :rolleyes:

Always music: played violin and double-bass at professional level until arthritis put a stop to that. Doesn't stop me listening though. (Classical and jazz.) Also, in no particular order, computer programming (I was a sysprog for years) sailing, diving, blacksmithing (another career path for some 15 years or so), cheese making, jewellery making, woodwork, reading, fishing...

Tired just reading the list ...

Tired just reading the list ...
You mentioned in your OP the interests we've let go, and I'd forgotten about those: restoring vintage British motorcycles, motorcycle racing, cooking (this was a job in my late teens) - I still cook a lot (~60% of our meals), but I now leave most of the really creative stuff to Mrs G who is really good at it. I do, however, still make a damn fine pretzel and loaf of bread, even though I say so myself. Restoring veteran cars, breeding marron, distilling illicit spirits...

That is a mighty impressive list.

Did you get to work as a professional musician? I am asking because that's actually my job, I've been an orchestra violinist for 20 years now.

I did forget to add cooking to my list, particularly baking. There's a lot of austro-hungarian blood on my mother's side, and they basically own the world as far as baking goes, IMO. I've grown watching the elder women in my mom's family baking, my mom, my aunt also.... so I decided it should be me the one to carry the torch, considering it took my brother the better part of forty years to learn not to charr water in a saucepan.

edit: I just noticed you're in Tasmania. Fun fact, I went at the same school and studied with the same teacher as the TSO's concertmaster, about 22 years ago.

Tell you what, my 'who would you invite to join you on a dessert island' list is being filled out by some of the talented folk around here!