What other hobbies [past or present] do you have?

Exactly this as well

+ Metallica - both collecting and travelling around to world to see them (which I can't wait to do again)

+ Scuba Diving - which is now also a new career, but I love to dive for fun as well (mostly in caves)

saw Metallica live at the Big Day Out in adelaide few years back.. awesome show and ended with 'One' if i recall correctly

Started playing bouzouki back in the day around 30 odd years ago but poor quality instruments put a stop to that couple years into it. Picked it up again around 12 years ago and been at it since quite regularly, also started the guitar around 10 years ago and ended up with quite a collection of both instruments.. I'll take some pics and post them later today. Play these quite regularly and find its an excellent way to just relax and chill or go a bit nuts :p depending on what I'm playing

Used to play football (round ball) for many years, finally hung up the boots and took to coaching once my kid go into the sport.

Absolutely love getting away for some fishing (boat and surf) as much as possible. As much as I 'take' from the sea I 'give' back with the three aquariums I keep at home :)

Also a keen gardener with many fruit trees and roses, and looking forward to my olive making when the olive tree begins to bear fruit (y)

Man there is some really diverse stuff in here, from War models to gliders!

I feel inferior with my hobby of smoking meat for 12 hours just to get fatter.

OHHHHHHH, BBQ - nice :)

Started playing bouzouki back in the day around 30 odd years ago but poor quality instruments put a stop to that couple years into it. Picked it up again around 12 years ago and been at it since quite regularly, also started the guitar around 10 years ago and ended up with quite a collection of both instruments.. I'll take some pics and post them later today. Play these quite regularly and find its an excellent way to just relax and chill or go a bit nuts :p depending on what I'm playing

Used to play football (round ball) for many years, finally hung up the boots and took to coaching once my kid go into the sport.

Absolutely love getting away for some fishing (boat and surf) as much as possible. As much as I 'take' from the sea I 'give' back with the three aquariums I keep at home :)

Also a keen gardener with many fruit trees and roses, and looking forward to my olive making when the olive tree begins to bear fruit (y)

These fruit trees you speak of.. Any of them Apple or Apricot? they make some brilliant bbq wood. Especially for Chicken or Pork, both of those woods infuse a beautiful sweet flavour.

These fruit trees you speak of.. Any of them Apple or Apricot? they make some brilliant bbq wood. Especially for Chicken or Pork, both of those woods infuse a beautiful sweet flavour.

yeah got two apple trees, but only just planted them this winter.. both dwarf trees, one fuji and one Royal Gala for the cross pollination.. Also have one Apricot tree that was grafted for three fruits.

Awesome to know about the wood smoking qualities, cos I love smoking meats also. I thought the tree would provide fruit for eating, and if in abundance would also make cider :) (forgot to mention another hobby is making booze) but can also use the wood from pruning to smoke my meats.. thanks mate (y)

That is a mighty impressive list.

Did you get to work as a professional musician? I am asking because that's actually my job, I've been an orchestra violinist for 20 years now.

edit: I just noticed you're in Tasmania. Fun fact, I went at the same school and studied with the same teacher as the TSO's concertmaster, about 22 years ago.
Yes I did, but only for about 8 years after I finished at the RCM in the early 80s. I mostly played in chamber ensembles in the UK, France and occasionally Germany. It's hard work, but a great life, and I think I envy you. :D Though truth to be told, it was never a way to earn much in the way of a living. But of course no-one really does that for the money, do they? :rolleyes:

It was a bit disheartening to spend all those years building up a solid technique only to have it all fall apart because my fingers wouldn't work properly, but you have to move on.

I really admire Emma McGrath, she's a fantastic musician and a lovely person. The TSO is lucky to have her, though having said that, for a little provincial orchestra, it punches well above its weight with all the talent it has on board.

saw Metallica live at the Big Day Out in adelaide few years back.. awesome show and ended with 'One' if i recall correctly
Soundwave 2013 at Bonython Park? What a hot day it was and Slayer playing beforehand made it an even better day 😁
Last song was Seek&Destroy

Or do you mean BDO 2004 at the Showgrounds? I saw that tour only in Brisvegas and met them for the first time...last song was Sandman, One before that...fantastic times 👍

Yes I did, but only for about 8 years after I finished at the RCM in the early 80s. I mostly played in chamber ensembles in the UK, France and occasionally Germany. It's hard work, but a great life, and I think I envy you. :D Though truth to be told, it was never a way to earn much in the way of a living. But of course no-one really does that for the money, do they? :rolleyes:

What a small world this is! I took my PG Dip at the RCM in the early 00's, that's when I met Emma, obviously I knew her by her maiden name back then.

It is a good life. It is an even better life in Spain, which is where I got my first job after finishing my studies. We desperately wanted to remain in London, we loved it there, I even auditioned for the LSO, but it wasn't meant to be..... fortunately. It's a much easier life in Spain.

It was a bit disheartening to spend all those years building up a solid technique only to have it all fall apart because my fingers wouldn't work properly, but you have to move on.

I am really sorry you had to stop for such reason. I sort of relate, I had a work related injury a couple of years ago, in the long run it could've been career ending. Fortunately surgery took care of it, I am truly sorry there wasn't such an easy fix for you.

I really admire Emma McGrath, she's a fantastic musician and a lovely person. The TSO is lucky to have her, though having said that, for a little provincial orchestra, it punches well above its weight with all the talent it has on board.

I am very happy you have such a good ensemble and led by such a great musician. Do you know her personally?

Sorry guys for derailing this a bit....🙃

Last edited by a moderator:
I collect military bits and pieces, unfortunately I can't post a pic because the majority of my collection is WW1 & 2 German which can be a little distasteful for people which is fully understandable.

in all honesty, I'd still love to see it. The past is the past, as long as we remember history it assures we don't repeat it.

yeah got two apple trees, but only just planted them this winter.. both dwarf trees, one fuji and one Royal Gala for the cross pollination.. Also have one Apricot tree that was grafted for three fruits.

Awesome to know about the wood smoking qualities, cos I love smoking meats also. I thought the tree would provide fruit for eating, and if in abundance would also make cider :) (forgot to mention another hobby is making booze) but can also use the wood from pruning to smoke my meats.. thanks mate (y)

Ahh Cider. For the beer hater (me), Cider is brilliant. Don't laugh at me, but I'm a big fan of Somersby Cider.

What a small world this is! I took my PG Dip at the RCM in the early 00's, that's when I met Emma, obviously I knew her by her maiden name back then.

It is a good life. It is an even better life in Spain, which is where I got my first job after finishing my studies. We desperately wanted to remain in London, we loved it there, I even auditioned for the LSO, but it wasn't meant to be..... fortunately. It's a much easier life in Spain.

I am really sorry you had to stop for such reason. I sort of relate, I had a work related injury a couple of years ago, in the long run it could've been career ending. Fortunately surgery took care of it, I am truly sorry there wasn't such an easy fix for you.
I am very happy you have such a good ensemble and led by such a great musician. Do you know her personally?
I'm just trying to think who were profs of violin at the RCM in the noughties. I had the good fortune to study under Hugh Bean. But there has always been a huge crowd of great people there.
Injuries are always a hazard for musicians, who are particularly prone to them for some reason. I knew a trumpeter who had his front teeth knocked out by a random drunk, and that put paid to his career. Tomasz Stańko managed through sheer force of will to recover his embouchure after losing his teeth, but I think he's an exception. If I had remained as a musician, I would never have had time to do anything else, so I don't bother with regrets.
I've met Emma, along with a number of the TSO crowd, but can't make any claim to knowing her well.

Soundwave 2013 at Bonython Park? What a hot day it was and Slayer playing beforehand made it an even better day 😁
Last song was Seek&Destroy

Or do you mean BDO 2004 at the Showgrounds? I saw that tour only in Brisvegas and met them for the first time...last song was Sandman, One before that...fantastic times 👍

BDO at the showgrounds... yeah that was a kick ass concert, so much energy. Heaps cool you got to meet them, how did you find them? down to earth? and more importantly did you go backstage for some fun? :)

Ahh Cider. For the beer hater (me), Cider is brilliant. Don't laugh at me, but I'm a big fan of Somersby Cider.

def not a beer hater (me) but a connoisseur, I hold no prejudice and enjoy diversity

From memory Somersby tasted fantastic, but more of an apple juice? couldnt taste any alcohol.. for me in purchased ciders it has to be Mercury Hard Cider, love the taste and not so sweet so you can knock a few back no worries.. did I say comes with 6.9% Alc/Vol :love:

I'm just trying to think who were profs of violin at the RCM in the noughties. I had the good fortune to study under Hugh Bean. But there has always been a huge crowd of great people there.
Injuries are always a hazard for musicians, who are particularly prone to them for some reason. I knew a trumpeter who had his front teeth knocked out by a random drunk, and that put paid to his career. Tomasz Stańko managed through sheer force of will to recover his embouchure after losing his teeth, but I think he's an exception. If I had remained as a musician, I would never have had time to do anything else, so I don't bother with regrets.
I've met Emma, along with a number of the TSO crowd, but can't make any claim to knowing her well.

That must be rough mate, even though its not really about makin money (if you have another income source) but you would know how nice it feels to play something you love.. I was never a professional player but understand how difficult it is to develop the skills needed in your choice of instrument

in all honesty, I'd still love to see it. The past is the past, as long as we remember history it assures we don't repeat it.

That's the way I view it as well so I do sometimes forget how some items can offend. I have put pics up on here before of some of my collection and it has upset, so I don't do it any more.

Hugh Bean was head of strings when I got there, Sept 2000. Perhaps the most sought after teacher in the violin department was Felix Andrievsky, whom I studied my first year with. We were not a good match so I decided to go in another direction with Ani Schnarch, former pupil of his. Best professional decision I ever made, along with quitting my first orchestra to auditipn for my current one.

Felix is still there, as well as Ani, Itzak Rashkovsky, Madeleine Mitchell, Natalia Boyarsky, Mark Messenger and Yossi Zivoni. These are the ones I knew that are still teching there, I'd have to go have a look at the 2000 RCM booklet, that I probably still have somewhere, to see who else was there.

Was Julia Champion working in the secretary while you were there? I imagine yes, since she was about 273 years old back in 2000.

Injuries are always a hazard for musicians, who are particularly prone to them for some reason.

Well, no instrument has a comfortable. natural grip, not to mention the postures we must adopt, you know that full well.

When I got injured they told me one particular arm movement that could affect me in a negative way. Well, that's a movement that I probably make two or three hundred times in a slow morning.

In any case, nowadays we are more aware of the dangers and we watch much better the way we seat, our posture..... Back in the days orchestra musicians would play until their arms fell.