Which is your favourite GEM or Schick razor?

bald as

ARKO! dealer & walking ECG
From my quick search it appears most on here are DE shavers but maybe there are some who regularly use a GEM or Schick - which and why is it your razor of choice?

I have DE razors but they re not my first choice for a daily shave.

Steve

From my quick search it appears most on here are DE shavers............

Tell me about it! Including you there are exactly three, one of which uses one in conjunction with a DE razor (don't ask!).

........GEM or Schick - which and why is it your razor of choice?......

Having tried all the SE razors (no Schicks as yet) out there including the numerous versions of the 1912s, I've settled on three:
  1. Ever Ready (GEM also did an equivalent) Featherweight. Mainly because it is mild and very light and is a safe shave with a fresh GEM SS blade.
  2. GEM Micromatic Bullet tip. Again, the milder one of the Micromatic series but makes up for that as it's fairly hefty and it looks cool! I use this one and my Ever Ready Streamline (see below) for the second and consecutive shaves with a GEM SS blade.
  3. Ever Ready Streamline, the GEM equivalent of a Jewel. Some consider it to be an aggressive beast. I get on with it just fine and it's the most amazing looking and built razor out there.

Last edited:
I was gifted a 1912 and from the very first shave that was basically it. The shaving methodology compared to a DE is very different but oh so satisfying.

I have a 1912, 1924 [brass version] a Micromatic Clog Puf [Brass version and a Nickel version] A FW and a Contour push button.

I don't think I'm a collector :) but I'm on the look out for a brass 1912 and a brass Micromatic open comb.

Even though there are limited SE users here it seems a great place to give and receive general shaving knowledge.

Steve

Schick Krona, mild and vastly underrated.

Do you guys strop your SE blades prior to first use? I heard that hey can be harsh on first shave and then smooth out on subsequent shaves.

Do you guys strop your SE blades prior to first use? I heard that hey can be harsh on first shave and then smooth out on subsequent shaves.

Yes, they are harsh on the first shave. I guess using a decent leather strop might work. Tried just hand stropping which made no difference and also on the mildest sharpening stone I've got and that just stuffed the blade up. Doesn't worry me too much but I do use the lightest SE razor for the first shave because of that.

Sorry borked, never knew you used a Schick. That makes four SE users here.
Whoa! Hang on! I could be mistaken, but I think @borked is referring to the Schick Krona which is a DE. He is getting confused with the Schick Injector SE razor.

The SE blade can be a bit harsh but an old school trick taught to me by my father and grandfather was to "gently" cork a blade. Run the edge of the blade very lightly though either a cork or a piece of Styrene foam. Once in each direction. Some say it dulls a blade others swear by it. I'm in the latter camp. You can also hand strop a blade. Also don't mistake really sharp though as harsh. Just use minimal to no pressure and short strokes.

Also you can use a mild SE razor like the Featherweight or the Contour until you think the blade is smooth. Lots of guys do that.

Steve

The SE blade can be a bit harsh but an old school trick taught to me by my father and grandfather was to "gently" cork a blade. Run the edge of the blade very lightly though either a cork or a piece of Styrene foam. Once in each direction. Some say it dulls a blade others swear by it. I'm in the latter camp. You can also hand strop a blade. Also don't mistake really sharp though as harsh. Just use minimal to no pressure and short strokes.

Also you can use a mild SE razor like the Featherweight or the Contour until you think the blade is smooth. Lots of guys do that.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. Never knew using an FW first up was standard practice. I thought I'd discovered that all by myself.

Man it's nice talking SE again.

Yes, they are harsh on the first shave. I guess using a decent leather strop might work. Tried just hand stropping which made no difference and also on the mildest sharpening stone I've got and that just stuffed the blade up. Doesn't worry me too much but I do use the lightest SE razor for the first shave because of that.

Steve

Thanks for the tips, guys. The GEM blades arrived this afternoon. Razor may be next week. It's a standard Gem 1912.

I've got a nice leather strop just in case the blades need a little touch up. I'll try to source a cork and give that a go too.

@Lifes a Peach , Just for the first shave try the blade as is. the 1912 may feel harsh but the shave result is very smooth. If you do attempt to cork a blade do it no deeper than the bevel of the blade and no pressure - you aren't trying to cut the cork in half. Enjoy your shave and :) it isn't a race or a contest.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. Never knew using an FW first up was standard practice. I thought I'd discovered that all by myself.

Man it's nice talking SE again.

I have to confess it isn't my idea but I have used it as a practise for awhile and it is very effective. :) Following that logic we should go FW through to MMOC by the finish of the blade life. I'm getting a MMOC next week so I will let you know my experience and whether it is as vicious as people say. I have a 1924 which people say is almost as agressive but I find it a really nice shave - and I'm a wimp !! :)

Steve

Sorry borked, never knew you used a Schick. That makes four SE users here.
That's ok, as it appears you're still mistaken, I've a gold, silver and black tip version ;)
Thought I'd throw that in to see who's observant enough to pick it up... ;)
Congrats @filobiblic :)
Kronas_1_1.jpg

That's ok, as it appears you're still mistaken, I've a gold, silver and black tip version ;)
Thought I'd throw that in to see who's observant enough to pick it up... ;)
Congrats @filobiblic :)
Kronas_1_1.jpg
Wow! Nice collection there Borked. They're smooth shavers those Kronas...

Think I've the grey handle one to still acquire, yet you are right, smooth razors that are great for a person new to traditional shaving.
Apparenrly the gold one was released only in 1976 as a celebration of their bicentenary!

Schick Injectors are definitely SE razors. My earliest one is a Type E Schick from 1937 or 39 [?]. An amazingly good shave. Lots of blade but a smooth shave.