2 razors per shave?

I will sometimes use two if I'm using my slant razor. No matter how careful I am with a slant, I always seem to nick my neck so I'll use a second razor just to finish that area off. It really annoys me because I can whip a straight razor across my face without a care, but my slant seems to get me every time.

I use to use a traditional straight razor for all passes except the final ATG on my neck (growth is horizontal outward from the throat). For my final neck pass I would use a shavette, typically with a Feather half-DE blade.

Now I have perfected my technique enough that I can do all my passes with just one traditional straight razor and get same result without any skin damage or irritation.

For a couple of months was using straight for first pass and DE for 2nd pass. Produced good results but have now moved on to vintage SE injectors. Will definitely go back the Str8/DE routine after have tested some new hardware.

Well, I can add a bit more now.
I'm still using 2 razors per shave...but this time I've had to do the 1st pass with a (gasp) electric foil shaver!
Followed by a pass with the Razorock Mamba 53.
Was having skin problems...not a rash. I think it's a skin 'thing' from my time in the Army (gotta love Agent Orange). The Govt begrudgingly pay me a small pittance each fortnight to make me feel good about it.
So for last couple of weeks I've gone from my usual two DE razors to the electric and the Mamba.
The final result is just OK, but it's helping my skin heal.
The electric is a Panasonic wet & dry thing, and I still soap up and use a brush to apply soap as per a normal shave. Only tried once to use the shaver in the shower.
It was OK, and just used the Pears soap for a lather. But not as nice as the brush and Whispers from the Woods soap, or Blue Devil (glad I bought 4 of those before he shut shop).
I can't just not shave...it's not in my DNA.
Can't wait to get back to the Karve and 'E' or 'F' plate again though.
I usually pair that with my Timeless .95 OC (what a lovely razor they are).
Hope all you folks are fit and well, and not being ravaged by the floods or bush fires.
Stay safe guys.

Well, I can add a bit more now.
I'm still using 2 razors per shave...but this time I've had to do the 1st pass with a (gasp) electric foil shaver!
Followed by a pass with the Razorock Mamba 53.
Was having skin problems...not a rash. I think it's a skin 'thing' from my time in the Army (gotta love Agent Orange). The Govt begrudgingly pay me a small pittance each fortnight to make me feel good about it.
So for last couple of weeks I've gone from my usual two DE razors to the electric and the Mamba.
The final result is just OK, but it's helping my skin heal.
The electric is a Panasonic wet & dry thing, and I still soap up and use a brush to apply soap as per a normal shave. Only tried once to use the shaver in the shower.
It was OK, and just used the Pears soap for a lather. But not as nice as the brush and Whispers from the Woods soap, or Blue Devil (glad I bought 4 of those before he shut shop).
Can't wait to get back to the Karve and 'E' or 'F' plate again though.
I usually pair that with my Timeless .95 OC (what a lovely razor they are).
Hope all you folks are fit and well, and not being ravaged by the floods or bush fires.
Stay safe guys.

Happy new year @Blackie

I got a mate who developed sensitive skin from covid and as a result soaps and his razors became an issue

Long story short he’s the guy along with Errol who got me onto the blackbird

It’s amazingly gentle but very efficient with blade feel, but so safe to use no nicks or cuts and excels in the ATG pass

Just sayin u might want to give one more razor a crack 👍

I'm glad to hear that. There are times when I wonder about living in Tasmania. Whenever I pass a country pub or roadworks, I find it slightly sad to see all those "workers" (you know, those whose job it is to stand around chugging on cigarettes) who appear to imagine the pinnacle of male comportment is modelled on a feral goat. :rolleyes: I keep hoping we might have passed peak beard, but apparently not...

But back to the point, you might consider trying one of the Castle Forbes shaving "creams" (really more a soft soap). They were designed at the outset to be non-irritant. Not cheap to buy, but OK value as they last a long time.

Happy new year @Blackie

I got a mate who developed sensitive skin from covid and as a result soaps and his razors became an issue

Long story short he’s the guy along with Errol who got me onto the blackbird

It’s amazingly gentle but very efficient with blade feel, but so safe to use no nicks or cuts and excels in the ATG pass

Just sayin u might want to give one more razor a crack 👍
Yes, thank you and happy New Year to you too @StratMan
I had a Black Oxide Blackbird. Sold it on BST some time ago. Had both the SB and OC plates (in both polished and Black finish).
It was fine, and shaved close but wasn't what I wanted.
I am pleased to say that my new regime is working already. The wee tender spots have gone (or are not playing up as they were before).
Thanks too @Gargravarr re the soap. Last two days I've used Lea (it's in a tin and it's called a 'shaving cream').
That seems to have helped too.

What is the general consensus over the sequence of aggressiveness for the below scenarios if using multiple or adjustable razors?

- When you are doing daily shaves?
- When shaving every second or third day?

I generally use a DE Razor for my cheeks and under my chin and a shavette for around my goatee... So that technically counts as two I guess :) I generally wash all the soap out of my beard before I trim that and use the shavette with nothing but water on my face - although by that time my bristles have softened up a bit.