2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Another "non-acquisition" acquisition...

Yet another of my favourite products got discontinued, this time it was my hair styling clay.

So after much research and MANY trial runs, I've just about got it to where I like it. It's high hold with a very matte finish along with a nice defined texture.

It's very difficult to find styling clays like this here. The one I was using for the last two years was the only one being made domestically and they changed the formula which is medium hold with high shine and a veryv strong sickly honey/vanilla scent!

I now control all characteristics of the clay just like I do with my DIY soap, aftershave and serum!

Received these three 125g tubes of VI-John shaving cream from a good friend in Malaysia this morning's mail.
dvh0efw.jpg

VI-John shaving cream is a very popular shaving cream in south and south-east Asia. It is available on eBay but at a ridiculous high price. It sells for just a few dollars in S & SE Asia.

Received these three 125g tubes of VI-John shaving cream from a good friend in Malaysia this morning's mail.
dvh0efw.jpg

VI-John shaving cream is a very popular shaving cream in south and south-east Asia. It is available on eBay but at a ridiculous high price. It sells for just a few dollars in S & SE Asia.
Their blades are not too bade either.

Excuse me old fart elite straight razor, I’ve used this crap for two years.

I know how to make my lather super slick and hydrated without any glyce crap.
Who really needs this stupid glyce sh 💩 t!
I gotta say @SpeedyPC its not shit mate, I have never been big on pre-shave but do have a few in the den Proraso and TOBS Jermyn Street and have noticed the improved performance when using them.
8/10 I shower before shaving but there are the odd days when I am in a rush and need the quickest possible shave without a shower, and that is what the Glyce is for.
Used it tonight and mighty impressed, the first lather was way slicker than all others that followed, this stuff is like Pears on steroids and makes me want to buy some of the other Ach.Brito products Musgo, Mogno, and Lavanda
2 x (y) (y) from me

I gotta say @SpeedyPC its not shit mate, I have never been big on pre-shave but do have a few in the den Proraso and TOBS Jermyn Street and have noticed the improved performance when using them.
8/10 I shower before shaving but there are the odd days when I am in a rush and need the quickest possible shave without a shower, and that is what the Glyce is for.
Used it tonight and mighty impressed, the first lather was way slicker than all others that followed, this stuff is like Pears on steroids and makes me want to buy some of the other Ach.Brito products Musgo, Mogno, and Lavanda
2 x (y) (y) from me
Musgo is very similar. I believe they used to have a number of scents available too.
Soaps such as this are great to prepare the skin and face before accepting a shave as you are cleansing your face and removing off layers of excess skin oils, dirt and dead skin which also results in the blade gliding over your skin better, glycerin is a great ingredient to help your skin absorb moisture so you skin may improve in elasticity and also soften the hair.
You do you and if it works well for you then that's great. SpeedyPC likely has his own system too such as his homemade aftershaves which is packed with good ingredients which likely helps his subsequent shaves the following day.

It also depends on skin types, some people have more oily skin, dry skin or combination skin that can be affected by the elements so it never really hurts to give it a shot if you feel like your skin and shave can benefit from it. At the very least you're spending a little bit of extra time to indulge yourself in something you enjoy so...

I gotta say @SpeedyPC ... stuff is like Pears on steroids and makes me want to buy some of the other Ach.Brito products Musgo, Mogno, and Lavanda
2 x (y) (y) from me
Hmmm, Pears on 'roids? :unsure: Say it isn't so... Hmmm, hmmm, dang, where's that instabuy button, I'll have to try it now. Or at least in 5 weeks time, I'm missing home already. I wonder if the Lavanda is as good as the Glyce...

For now, I'm stuck with a pre-shave of hot water followed by scrubbing with the DRH (Windsor) stick. It works very well, even if the approach is a bit agricultural, but I'm missing being able to take a long, indulgent solitary shave.

Musgo is very similar. I believe they used to have a number of scents available too.
Soaps such as this are great to prepare the skin and face before accepting a shave as you are cleansing your face and removing off layers of excess skin oils, dirt and dead skin which also results in the blade gliding over your skin better, glycerin is a great ingredient to help your skin absorb moisture so you skin may improve in elasticity and also soften the hair.
You do you and if it works well for you then that's great. SpeedyPC likely has his own system too such as his homemade aftershaves which is packed with good ingredients which likely helps his subsequent shaves the following day.

It also depends on skin types, some people have more oily skin, dry skin or combination skin that can be affected by the elements so it never really hurts to give it a shot if you feel like your skin and shave can benefit from it. At the very least you're spending a little bit of extra time to indulge yourself in something you enjoy so...

+1

This is the reason I pack my own shaving soap with a lot of glycerine!

I have literally felt the difference, especially in the very dry harsh winters here.
The glycerine really helps the skin remain supple and elastic, which I find are fundamental for a close and comfortable shave.

I even made my latest soap with LESS butters but MORE glycerine and it's performing superbly...Even better than my previous high butter soap!

+1

This is the reason I pack my own shaving soap with a lot of glycerine!

I have literally felt the difference, especially in the very dry harsh winters here.
The glycerine really helps the skin remain supple and elastic, which I find are fundamental for a close and comfortable shave.

I even made my latest soap with LESS butters but MORE glycerine and it's performing superbly...Even better than my previous high butter soap!
That makes total sense and I appreciate your input as I know you have been privately dabbling in the soap making scene for quite some time now.
I recall in the older days it was popular to add a drop of glycerine to our soaps lather to boost it. At some point that dropped off as soaps got better and have since not really heard of anyone ever doing that anymore. Glycerin is underrated imho.

That makes total sense and I appreciate your input as I know you have been privately dabbling in the soap making scene for quite some time now.
I recall in the older days it was popular to add a drop of glycerine to our soaps lather to boost it. At some point that dropped off as soaps got better and have since not really heard of anyone ever doing that anymore. Glycerin is underrated imho.

Absolutely underrated!
As an experiment, I made a soap which was 85% butters, with no added glycerine.

My base with 25% butters plus glycerine outperforms the 85% butters soap!

Yeah I remember guys adding glycerine as a lather booster. I think it was called super lather or uber lather or something like that.

Absolutely underrated!
As an experiment, I made a soap which was 85% butters, with no added glycerine.

My base with 25% butters plus glycerine outperforms the 85% butters soap!

Yeah I remember guys adding glycerine as a lather booster. I think it was called super lather or uber lather or something like that.
That sounds really interesting.
The great thing about glycerine is that it is very accessible and easy to work with.
Haha yep, those were the terms I remember too.

Picked up from the PO this morning from @mark123abc0, 20 new Gold Dollar 66 straight razors. These razors have been donated to the SR PIF cause.

brCp8Gg.jpg

These GD 66s are are a few years old so have the troublesome (to some) stabilizer grind. Before PIFfing these razors on P&C, I will be re-profiling the stabilizers on each blade. Half of the razors will then be honed to shave-read. Once done, the razors will be PIFed in pairs (ten pairs), with one honed and the other not honed. This will allow the winners to develop their honing skills while having an identical shave-ready razor to compare against. It is also good to have two identical SRs when later trying out different honing techniques.

I am expecting these PIFs to become available sometime from December 2023 into 2024.