A beginner's journey to straight razors

might stick with this method, unless I find I need the extra angles to be worth the learning curve
That's the best way. Get comfortable with using a straight first, whether it is only using one hand or both. After a while when you are comfortable with the basics and realise that it's not as scary as you think, then start learning different techniques. It's not a race and there really isn't any right or wrong way. Well, ok there is a wrong way but just take your time :D

@StratMan, I started my SR journey shave just with my dominant hand. After a year or so I taught myself to shave with both hands, thinking that it would be better for me. I found that there was no improvement for me when shaving with both hands. Of course others are different.

I now predominantly shave with just my dominant hand but spend about a week once every month or two shaving with both hands. I do this so that I don't forget the skill that I have developed in case I loose the use of my dominant hand.

I don't think over confidence will be a problem for me, right now grave concern is an emotion I'm going through.. when the blade is on my face it will transfer to 'shitting bricks'
I'd suggest getting your brickshitting done before your shave. ;) Then relax and breathe. It's not that scary really, just don't look forward to the result you get from your Wolfie too soon.

That's the best way. Get comfortable with using a straight first, whether it is only using one hand or both. After a while when you are comfortable with the basics and realise that it's not as scary as you think, then start learning different techniques. It's not a race and there really isn't any right or wrong way. Well, ok there is a wrong way but just take your time :D
cheers good advice, will take time but i'll enjoy the journey (I hope)

@StratMan, I started my SR journey shave just with my dominant hand. After a year or so I taught myself to shave with both hands, thinking that it would be better for me. I found that there was no improvement for me when shaving with both hands. Of course others are different.

I now predominantly shave with just my dominant hand but spend about a week once every month or two shaving with both hands. I do this so that I don't forget the skill that I have developed in case I loose the use of my dominant hand.
thanks, sounds like a skill i'll never need (unless I lose feeling in my right hand)

I'd suggest getting your brickshitting done before your shave. ;) Then relax and breathe. It's not that scary really, just don't look forward to the result you get from your Wolfie too soon.
my problem is that I chase and expect bbs, and aiming for that with the SR off the bat but will only start with the cheeks till I get comfy.. for now the BB and wolf will sort the neck out, business as usual

...thanks, sounds like a skill i'll never need (unless I lose feeling in my right hand)
my problem is that I chase and expect bbs, and aiming for that with the SR off the bat but will only start with the cheeks till I get comfy.. for now the BB and wolf will sort the neck out, business as usual
It doesn't take losing feeling in your hand. Just a fall the wrong way can fuck up a shoulder so you can't raise your arm. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

If you're already getting BBS, DBS or GBS with your safety razors, don't expect a straight to magically do better. It's a nice way of getting there, and the exercise is fun, but there are physical limits to how close you can shave with any blade.

reading your posts with a lot of interest, I will be giving SE shaving a go shortly myself

one of my concerns was using my left hand as it's pretty useless especially for something that will need so much precision both with angle and pressure
I think I said this elsewhere, but I don't use my left hand for shaving due to a motorcycle accident (more of an attempted murder) where I shattered my shoulder. I can raise it to shave, but it is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I shave only with my right hand and have no issues, so don't let that bother you. A lot of people only use one hand anyway.

Also, I started the first two shaves down strokes only. Then, I added up strokes on neck and face. When I got comfortable with that, I added across the face and neck. It didn't take long, but I didn't push it.

Use light pressure and short strokes. And do not fall into the temptation of using the whole blade. Use only the front or back portion at a time. I use the heel for close to my mustache as it is easier for me. I use the toe elsewhere. You will figure it out.

Use light pressure and short strokes. And do not fall into the temptation of using the whole blade. Use only the front or back portion at a time. I use the heel for close to my mustache as it is easier for me. I use the toe elsewhere. You will figure it out.
This ^^^

Is Good advice.

You see in the movies actors are using the whole length of the blade everywhere on their face. This isn't quite the way it is in real life. As Doc Dan said, most of the time you are only using the heel or toe of the blade. It really is on the main part of the cheek and neck where you get to use the whole blade.

It doesn't take losing feeling in your hand. Just a fall the wrong way can fuck up a shoulder so you can't raise your arm. Ask me how I know... :rolleyes:

If you're already getting BBS, DBS or GBS with your safety razors, don't expect a straight to magically do better. It's a nice way of getting there, and the exercise is fun, but there are physical limits to how close you can shave with any blade.

I feel that I have taken DE shaving to as good as it gets, can now build an incredible lather that will allow me to use my DE's of choice to get me to the holy BBS land every time I shave. I just cant see how a SR will take me beyond this.

I am now starting this SR journey for a few reasons and obviously getting a closer shave is one of them, but also for the experience of a new technique to learn and enjoy, also the chance to learn to sharpen/hone blades which will also come in quite handy when I start sharpening my fishing knives for a super sharp knife for fish filleting. Not expecting the shave result to be much different from DE shaving, but def the journey

I think I said this elsewhere, but I don't use my left hand for shaving due to a motorcycle accident (more of an attempted murder) where I shattered my shoulder. I can raise it to shave, but it is uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I shave only with my right hand and have no issues, so don't let that bother you. A lot of people only use one hand anyway.

Also, I started the first two shaves down strokes only. Then, I added up strokes on neck and face. When I got comfortable with that, I added across the face and neck. It didn't take long, but I didn't push it.

light pressure and short strokes is how I shave now so easy to transfer this to SR but didnt even consider the portion of blade to use, just assumed you use the entire length.. this I need to look into.. cheers