A Big frickin boar

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
I posted a way back that I couldn't resist the Vintage Scent sale. The Semogue 2000 turned up today and I gave it a wash over. I haven't ditched the pigs, even though I've got a few Simmo's which I really like.

I still break out the 830 very regularly, the 1305 less so, I think the handle can be a little unwieldy at times, and I love to wield. What I like about boar lather is it's a bit easier to get wet, slick, creamy lather. Badgers will do it too, but I find it takes a bit longer and a bit more water, as I think they aerate it noticeably more.

I remember now why I sold my owners club though; this is a big brush. But I wanted to give a big boar another go. They do go soft - all of them. I sort of prefer them midway through break in, where they still have some firmness through the knot.

But this time I'm not going to stuff around with it. The conventional wisdom was they needed a good soak, even once broken in, and that just made for a noodly brush. Also the break in thing is overstated (even by me, in my break-in thread. I still think my tips are helpful though, if people haven't used a boar before). When you get used to how boars work, break in is purely a softening up process. I lathered up some soap and cream to start this one off, and I'd have plenty of decent lather for 3 pass shave with either.

So all those big forum fuckwits that go on and on (and they still do) about lathering the bastards for 2 weeks in a bowl without using it and blow-drying it, before you're 'ready' for it - tell them they're big forum fuckwits.

full.jpg

Last edited:
My SOC is still firm. Really really surprised.
I mean my EJ best badger is so soft now it's unusable, my 1305 is comfortably soft and at the point it can hold lots of lather so better than ever.
My SOC is still firm to the point of being abrasive but holds heaps of lather (and of course has no problem generating it). Lovely!
Think I should ebay it as a rare specimen of a boar?!

Think I should ebay it as a rare specimen of a boar?!

I'm guessing you don't oversoak it? Now I just run the 830 under the tap - just wet enough to make sure it loads soap, then it goes useably soft as I lather up. When they're broken in, they've got masses of give, so you're not going to poke holes in your face.

I think I just got into the habit of really soaking them, and they became hopeless for loading up enough soap, way too floppy.

Other than wetting it prior to attacking the soap or cream I think the brush pre-soak is a complete waste of time. It makes no discernable difference to any badger I've used and after two seconds of lathering ditto with a boar, and I've had/have some roughies in the latter department. Brushes are utilitrian objects rather than the heirlooms that wet shavers like to think they are. They will die. You can slow that down by having a few in rotation but they'll konk out eventually. I've had one die on me in the relatively short time I've been wet shaving. Admittedly the knot, although virtually unused, was 30 yrs old, but nonetheless.

By the way that is a big brush you've got there Drubbing. I suspect lathering now will cover the entire sink and mirror too.

Other than wetting it prior to attacking the soap or cream I think the brush pre-soak is a complete waste of time...

Brushes are utilitrian objects rather than the heirlooms that wet shavers like to think they are.

If there was a B&B prison, you'd be in solitary for life. And made to shave with a $1500 Plisson every day as penance.

Yes the 2000 is a big pig. Probably not the smartest move, but then that was never my strong point.

........Yes the 2000 is a big pig. Probably not the smartest move, but then that was never my strong point.

Just face it, you're a Semoque junkie. I managed to jail break out of B&B before I was hung, drawn and quartered. Not using smilies killed me. And not being religious or a gun collector didn't help either. I've yet to meet a yank, in person or in cyberspace, who can read or has got a sense of humour.

The real problem is, is you don't make it obvious it's humour, they don't get it. That, and genuflecting at military people, is particularly nauseating. I met some great yanks when I went over there, but as a collective, they do conform to stereotypes a lot - especially when it comes to religion and beating up on developing countries.

Gave the 2000 a run this morning. Useable, but we'll see how it softens up. It wasn't quite dry from yesterday, so that may be a fair indicator anyway. Does get to my sweet spot a bit quicker than the badger, like the others so. Can't see it becoming a fave, but it was an impulse buy.

Just face it, you're a Semoque junkie. I managed to jail break out of B&B before I was hung, drawn and quartered. Not using smilies killed me. And not being religious or a gun collector didn't help either. I've yet to meet a yank, in person or in cyberspace, who can read or has got a sense of humour.

Plenty in the chilli forum world, but they have to use smilies a lot just so they get it's actually a joke and not get offended.

Plenty in the chilli forum world, but they have to use smilies a lot just so they get it's actually a joke and not get offended.

Another yankee forum. I last 3 months at best on any of them. One day on a fishing rod building forum, one month on a headphone forum and three on B&B. I don't even want to try my luck on a gardening/chilli forum.

Another yankee forum. I last 3 months at best on any of them. One day on a fishing rod building forum, one month on a headphone forum and three on B&B. I don't even want to try my luck on a gardening/chilli forum.

Chilli growers are pretty different though, none of us are quite right in the head.
Think of what we're doing, growing something that hurts going in, and coming out, but do it again and again. Not only that, but want a hotter and hotter chilli!
The people in trinidad that cultivate these super hots don't even want anything to do with the super hot chillies. So chilli forums have been very easy going, no one there is uptight.
My first post at one forum, chilli grower, was giving a moderator a dig, didn't get banned.

Last edited:
........hurts........coming out.........

My first big batch of preserved chillies were effectionately (?) known as Double Dumps as a few serves would induce a rather prolonged morning constitutional. Have we ever taken this thread off course now!

Off course?

Was it ever going anywhere? It was just a rant.
"Not that there's anything wrong with that."
Always amusing.

Last edited:
Alrighty, get his barge back on course...

The Big Pig is going all right at the moment. Everyone, even Bruno at VS say this thing is too big to face lather, but I'm doing it anyway, I'm a wild child livin on the edge...

When it gets too much water onboard it can get a bit soft, but it makes good, big boar lather; wet, slick, creamy and lots of it in double quick time.

I've stuck mostly with creams or soft soap and it goes alright. The handle a lot more user friendly than the SOC.

Last edited:
I'm still liking this. Not bad for a brush bought on a whim.

It's big, there's no getting around that. So long as it stays as firm as it is, it's usuably big. So far, it seems better than the Semogue premium hair for firmness, and also the budget grade in the cheap brushes, which aren't dense enough to work well IMO.

I've used it a fair bit on the hard Arlington and it does very well. Bit of a mismatch of big brush and small bowl with hard soap makes a bit of a mess, but works to get this soap going.

So, are you still using this brush ?

I've just ordered the 2000 and an omega 48, because I started feeling my boars arent quite big enough. I have small ones like the semogue 1470 the omega 10029 and the vulfix vs3.

I'm hoping I can work out face lathering with these two, otherwise, it will be the start of my wifes legshaving kit. ( No more mystery blunt blades, or finding her rubbing my cherished Imperial Leather shave stick all over her legs...gotta love 'em, its in the vows )

I've just ordered the 2000 and an omega 48, because I started feeling my boars arent quite big enough. I have small ones like the semogue 1470 the omega 10029 and the vulfix vs3.

I do, but it's definitely as big as I'd go for a face latherer, it's not really that suitable. But in typical Semogue style, it's big and soft and bloomy. The Omegas are 'straighter' knots and bloom a lot less, so I'd expect the 48 to be firmer in the knot, even though it's bigger.

I have a Omega 102 incoming, which is 27/65 and I expect it to work and feel a lot smaller than the Sem 2000.

Last edited:

I'm hoping I can work out face lathering with these two.....

I like smaller brushes for face lathering. With a big brush like the Omega 48 you just end up with lather all over the place. Actually having said that I like small brushes full stop.

Last edited: