A "Genuinely Awesome Stuff" thread, anyone?

Gargravarr

Our resident snake charmer
...and I use the word "awesome" in the sense that it inspires awe, as opposed to being mildly cool. I discovered two amazing things almost in my backyard today. (Actually about 130km away from home, including about 80km of gravel roads, pretty much par for the course in TAS.)

The first I had known about for a while, but had shrugged off as "whatever..." rather than visiting: The Wall in the Wilderness, a 3m high, 100m+ long relief sculpture in huon pine by Greg Duncan. A work in progress since 2005, pictures just do not do justice to the literally poignant detail. I demurred briefly at the $20 entrance fee, but it's worth every last cent.

the-wall-tasmania-huon-pine1.jpg

The second thing that totally blew me away on the way back when we took a little side trip to Laughing Jack Lagoon (gotta love these Tasmanian place names like Awesome Wells, Nowhere Else or my favourite, Lovely Bottom but I digress :rolleyes:)...
...was this.

276.jpg

This, my dear Giant Lemons, is part of Northern Tasmania's hydro power network. There are miles and miles of this wooden-stave pipeline (just like a gigantic barrel) still in use after 90+ years. The sheer effort and incredible craftsmanship involved in such a project, often in terrible conditions dwarfs the imagination.

...and I use the word "awesome" in the sense that it inspires awe, as opposed to being mildly cool. I discovered two amazing things almost in my backyard today. (Actually about 130km away from home, including about 80km of gravel roads, pretty much par for the course in TAS.)

The first I had known about for a while, but had shrugged off as "whatever..." rather than visiting: The Wall in the Wilderness, a 3m high, 100m+ long relief sculpture in huon pine by Greg Duncan. A work in progress since 2005, pictures just do not do justice to the literally poignant detail. I demurred briefly at the $20 entrance fee, but it's worth every last cent.

the-wall-tasmania-huon-pine1.jpg

The second thing that totally blew me away on the way back when we took a little side trip to Laughing Jack Lagoon (gotta love these Tasmanian place names like Awesome Wells, Nowhere Else or my favourite, Lovely Bottom but I digress :rolleyes:)...
...was this.

276.jpg

This, my dear Giant Lemons, is part of Northern Tasmania's hydro power network. There are miles and miles of this wooden-stave pipeline (just like a gigantic barrel) still in use after 90+ years. The sheer effort and incredible craftsmanship involved in such a project, often in terrible conditions dwarfs the imagination.

l‘m looking at a trip to Tassie towards the end of the year so I’ll put the Wall on The Wilderness o the to do list.

I'd love to get back there. I had a place overlooking Sulphur Creek nestled between the farms there with my ex wife. I'm trying to convince my wife now to retire there when we are ready.

... (Actually about 130km away from home, including about 80km of gravel roads, pretty much par for the course in TAS.).
I'm trying to work out where you live, it must be the middle of nowhere. 130km from Derwent Bridge with the Lake Margaret pipeline enroute?
Over near Tullah?

I'm trying to work out where you live, it must be the middle of nowhere. 130km from Derwent Bridge with the Lake Margaret pipeline enroute?
Over near Tullah?
Not quite, I made the mistake of using Google to check the distance, forgetting that Google are total wimps and can't cope with gravel roads. :rolleyes: It's actually a bit less distance than I said. I don't want to dox myself, but let's just say somewhere between Launceston and Deloraine...

But you're right about one thing, we're miles from nowhere. :cool:

Not entirely sure whether "genuinely awesome" is an apposite term for this, but it's definitely a cloud formation I've never seen before...

PXL-20230630-023154747-1.jpg

I took this picture through a car window this morning, hence the streaks and reflections, but you get the idea...

Not entirely sure whether "genuinely awesome" is an apposite term for this, but it's definitely a cloud formation I've never seen before...

I took this picture through a car window this morning, hence the streaks and reflections, but you get the idea...

Holy crap!
Geoengineering anyone?

Wow! mother nature is so AMAZING!

Two nipples and who milking the cloud for free water