American Button Company (ABC) Pocket Editions

stillshunter

a man of resolve, a man of conviction
State Convenor - ACT
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical Fail
Now that I've had a chance to shave with an ABC Pocket for a week - daily shaves can be viewed on the 2015 SOTDs - I thought I would share my impressions.

ifV2Krr.jpg

I'm tempted to write a little on their history but why repeat what is amplified very nicely here. I believe the ABC Pocket I've been using - thanks to @Mark1966 - is a pre-WWI razor. When this fact has a chance to sink in then you really come to appreciate what has gone before your shave.

The build quality is pretty darn impressive for something 100+ years old. ABC obviously spent some time and took great pride in fashioning the handle...and this is not the most flourished of there line-up either. The handle has an incredible weight considering its size and it actually feels weightier than you could imagine it size to betray. The shape is great in the hand. It can be a little slippery, but once your fingers find their groove then all is well. The razor is head-light/handle-heavy but this does make for good control. The head has a very low profile and can get into those awkward little places. I've not used anything better for doing away with rogue hairs in difficult spots under the nose and under the chin. Brilliant!!!

The shave is relatively smooth. You can feel the teeth of the open comb but as a fan of OCs this is not an unpleasant feeling at all. I found it smoothens up nicely with a sharper blade - preference was certainly for a Feather over the Polsilvers. I was not asked to pay any blood to this razor - not a single cut or nick. I reckon you could whiz this razor around your face with little mindfulness. Having said that, the downside of the ABC IMHO is the closeness. Even with a sharp blade the razor takes a little extra work to achieve complete ATG unstubbling. I found two-ATG passes was necessary to get where many other OCs - e.g., Fatip, NEW LC - will be first time around. Having said that, I found no irritation with having to employ these extra passes so you can certainly achieve an irritation-free BBS but it comes at the expense of a little more time and patience.

Would I buy one?
...YES!

These are a thing of beauty and utility. I can see the attraction of collecting these artworks....and it's art with a purpose - I'd certainly crack every one of them out of their cases to enjoy a slow smooth shave.

Great write up mate - glad you enjoyed it!

Great review Stillsy. So how much does a little razor like this cost these days- hmmmm?

Amazing how a 100+ year old can still have all his teeth intact! [emoji6]