Another fresh face from Brisbane

belarki

Hi all, just checking in for the first time to do some research before making the plunge and moving to a DE razor. I found this place via the enormous shaving thread over on the OCAU forums :)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good beginners FAQs for technique and for buying equipment/soaps/etc? I'm tempted to just get a starter kit from men's biz but if I can save a lot of money buying internationally then I'm willing to investigate that too.

Kind regards,

belarki

Hi

Mantic59 on YT is a decent reference. He's a complete geek, but he teaches and demo's well. Although his soap lathering demo is pathetic.

You can hunt and peck for items OS, but MB's budget and standard kit are great value, and have included items most people would already recommend. I don't think you'd save a great deal now, after adding postage from elsewhere.

About the only thing I'd change on the kits is the brushes, and I believe they'll swap them out for one of your choice now.

As far as a source of technique goes, this forum is a fantastic place to learn. Everyone has something to offer in the way of technique and advice. Just ask away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. Okay I might go with a Mens biz kit and change the brush :) Happier to support an Aussie business too.

Thanks guys. Okay I might go with a Mens biz kit and change the brush :) Happier to support an Aussie business too.

Good on you. They don't take it for granted either. More than one member here has ended up with some generous surprises from them.

Good on you. They don't take it for granted either. More than one member here has ended up with some generous surprises from them.

+1

Google pricing global, purchase local.

Mens Biz are well worth supporting.

Well thanks to a PIF from the very kindly mr626, I don't need the men's biz starter kit just yet. I have a razor and brush on the way form him instead and some Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street Shaving Cream & Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel Toner coming from men's biz. I'll report back after my first couple of shaves.

Cheers for the assistance so far everyone!

Hi, and good luck with this journey. On your first shaves, don't overdo the closeness of shave. There will be some time until you get the muscle memory doing the thinking for you.

Another welcome!

Relax and enjoy the ride. Lots of good advice here - so ask lots of questions - there are no dumb questions!