Another From Adelaide

Grey

Hi All,

I discovered this forum while searching for straight razor forums. I thought it good to see some local content and a couple of the threads immediately resonated with me: one on the feather AS-D2 and another on filobiblic's journey into straight shaving.

I've been using a DE razor for about a year, currently using a Feather AS-D2 with Feather blades, and have just branched out with a Dovo shavette and then straight.

I started with a Edwin Jagger DE-89 after seeing them in Shaver Shop and thinking to myself, "they look pretty cool, what are they like?" After staring out with Wilkinson Sword blades, I tried a few samples and settled on feather blades. After a while, I had a bit of a look at other DEs and after reading a few reviews I thought that the Feather AS-D2 was the most appealing for me. I bought one and am absolutely delighted. I'm wondering if its the last DE I'll ever buy. As was said on another thread, sharp blade in a mild razor is a good combo, and one that works for me. I find that the satin-chrome finish glides very nicely over the skin.

I've also recently started using a Dovo shavette. Initially I tried a feather blade, and got snagged on my stubble very quickly. I then put in the long blade that came with the razor. Much better. After a couple of goes, staying WTG, I'm pretty happy. A little touch-up on the chin with my DE, but that's it. For early days, I'm pleased with the shave that it provides.

That lead me to a Dovo straight. Much more of a challenge. Technique is always a factor, though I'm not convinced that they leave the factory especially sharp. It removes arm hairs OK (when contacting the skin), though the stubble presents a bit more resistance. I can "shave" with this razor without cutting myself (had a few tries now), though I can't get a close shave. Maybe time to send it to an experienced honer: good to eliminate the razor as a variable, then it's all down to me from there.

Brush-wise, I have an EJ Silver Tip. Quite happy with the bulb shape: it works well for me lathering in a bowl.

I started out with Proraso green soap, and continue to use that and also a bit of the red. I've also purchased a TOBS sampler, and followed up with a full tub of Jermyn St. I really like that scent, and it has a nice linger throughout the morning. I also liked Eton and Mr Tayor from that range, and will probably purchase full sized tubs of those over time. But first, I must get through the GFT sampler...

I've enjoyed catching up on the posts in this forum. In a world dominated by carts and electric razors, having a forum like this is really helpful to understand technique and to see reviews of products.

Welcome mate :)

Welcome Mr Grey...

There's getting to be a little gang of Feather R2-D2 shavers!!! Mild and yet sharp fellas. [emoji6]

Great to hear you're keen to give your Dovo str8 a fair crack. I reckon you need to get it honed and try again. That way, you know you're starting from a good foundation.

Sounds like you need to try an Artisan soap or two. Plenty recommended but with a few Barrister & Mann Lathas that will be up for grabs shortly... Well, let's just say don't wait around to be told twice! [emoji14]

Plenty recommended but with a few Barrister & Mann Lathas that will be up for grabs shortly...

What are they like for brush loading? I tried a Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap once, and really struggled to load the brush, even after taking to the soap with cheese grater. Since then I've kept to creams/croaps as they tend to be pretty user-friendly in terms of loading.

What are they like for brush loading? I tried a Edwin Jagger sandalwood soap once, and really struggled to load the brush, even after taking to the soap with cheese grater. Since then I've kept to creams/croaps as they tend to be pretty user-friendly in terms of loading.

Dangerously easy to load your brush with B&M.

A few hard soaps are like that - Cade, DR Harris, the crap they sell in Crabrtree and Evelyn... More to do with the specific soap.

Then there's Tabac, which is rock hard and latthers brilliantly. BM soaps come off the puck very easily.

Damn, seems like most of our members are coming from Adelaide at the moment. Perth, you are letting us down!

If only I could get the same number of new members from Melbourne & Brisbane. They are two cities that are severely under-represented in our membership. Melbourne I can understand because they are a bunch of beard-growing hipsters.

Damn, seems like most of our members are coming from Adelaide at the moment. Perth, you are letting us down!

If only I could get the same number of new members from Melbourne & Brisbane. They are two cities that are severely under-represented in our membership. Melbourne I can understand because they are a bunch of beard-growing hipsters.
Yeah, yet what else is there to do in Perth/Adelaide ?

Welcome from a fellow Adelaidean! We are starting to take this place over :D :D :D

Please PM @khun_diddy , @bald as or myself for our get together next Sunday!

Welcome Grey

The more straight shavers around the better.

I too struggled to load a few hard soaps, which put me onto creams like tobs, then moved onto to croaps like Strop Shoppe and Nannys Dr Jons etc, but after getting a couple of tubs of B&M and running a few mm of hot water on top of the soap while stropping it softens hard soaps and then really lathers too easily. Everyone would do something different but that's worked for me. I don't think I'd buy cream now.

Enjoy your stay mate