Another Newb

jest

Just getting into the wet shaving scene so thought I should join here for some local action. I'm up in Far North Queensland, and already active on some other forums but mostly in IRC since I prefer to lurk.

Hoping to hunt down some nice straights to get started with and already found a few I'm desperately in love with but probably can't have for a long time/ever haha

Welcome mate!

So do you use DEs or straights?

Both popular here and lots of info.

Favourite soaps and creams?

Welcome to Paste & Cut, @jest

Lot's of Straight Razor masters on here to help you on your way.

At the moment I have a few DE and a shavette @Mark1966 ... Waiting on some vintage 'shave ready' straight from ebay but not too hopeful on shavability out of the box. Honestly, I actually really like the shavette except for those pesky corners waiting for a moment of inattention.

Haven't tried that many creams yet- lots of entry level stuff like GFT and Crabtree since they are available locally and easy to get samples for. My next I'd like to try is occams, since its Australian and seems to be well reviewed. Shaver heaven also looks good haha. Internationally, I'd really like to try chiselledface and mickey lee's stuff as they are both pretty good for a chat and their offerings sound interesting and well regarded.

Still trying to up my brush game- currently have a few boars coming, and hope to eventually get the Omega 11047 mixed midget.

At the moment I have a few DE and a shavette @Mark1966 ... Waiting on some vintage 'shave ready' straight from ebay but not too hopeful on shavability out of the box. Honestly, I actually really like the shavette except for those pesky corners waiting for a moment of inattention.

I have a few DE too ...

While I'm not very knowledgable on straights I'm told they are very different to shavettes AND you can probably be assured that the vintage 'shave ready' straight from eBay is NOT shave ready unless from a few of the regular sellers of quality stuff. We have a few guys here who can give hints on honing or @Mark has an excellent reputation for his professional work in the area!

Haven't tried that many creams yet- lots of entry level stuff like GFT and Crabtree since they are available locally and easy to get samples for. My next I'd like to try is occams, since its Australian and seems to be well reviewed. Shaver heaven also looks good haha. Internationally, I'd really like to try chiselledface and mickey lee's stuff as they are both pretty good for a chat and their offerings sound interesting and well regarded.

Occams and Shaver Heaven are great stuff. TOBS and GFT are decent creams, C&E not often loved. Between the Aussie ones you may not need to look overseas! @Anthony from Shaver Heaven is active here and has a thread (see here) about some stock changes coming up - might want to get in quick and/or check out his Scratch 'n' Dent section.

Still trying to up my brush game- currently have a few boars coming, and hope to eventually get the Omega 11047 mixed midget.

Lot of love for boars around here - and some synthetics too BTW. I'm a badger man mainly myself with a synthetic as a travel brush.

Anyway, welcome again - enjoy poking around!

Welcome mate. Stick around and post a while...

I'm up in Far North Queensland...
Hoping to hunt down some nice straights to get started with and already found a few I'm desperately in love with but probably can't have for a long time/ever haha
@Dale.Whiley lives around Townsville and is a str8 shooter of repute. He'll help you out if you need anything local.

But as suggested, @Mark will help you source great quality str8s for whatever price you want. He will send it to you with a super keen edge.

Thank you very much @Anthony, @Dale.Whiley, @filobiblic I'm from around the Townsville area also, so good to know there are other locals. I almost don't want to message @Mark - It seems like just about everyone on these boards is chasing him for something!
Everybody is chasing @Mark, but I can tell you that as soon as he gets a spare minute, he'll be chasing you. He is all about the art of straights and @Mark will want to make sure you head along the right path, not give up through poor equipment or bad advice. @Mark is your man.

Thank you very much @Anthony, @Dale.Whiley, @filobiblic I'm from around the Townsville area also, so good to know there are other locals. I almost don't want to message @Mark - It seems like just about everyone on these boards is chasing him for something!
Nah. He's good. Very chilled. He just about lives and breathes straights...

Welcome @jest - hope you will enjoy the journey!