Another Perthite - Feather AC?

Thanks for the tips!

Going by the shaves more recently now that I've learnt more and seen some youtube videos etc, it seems most of my problems were from too much pressure and not working the lather for long enough. I've been face lathering with a shave stick for a decade now - even I could work out on my own that canned goo was way inferior to that! But the lather shots thread here has got me putting in that bit more time into working up a good lather - really just an extra 30 seconds is all it took - and the results have surprised me. A much better feel on the skin... both during and after.

But by far the biggest help has been backing off the pressure with the disposable as well as using WTG / ATG passes.

OK gents - you have me spending money already!

I was browsing Feather options on ebay and it appears this model of teak handle folding DX may be getting or has been discontinued (a UK site said discontinued for that product code anyway) and is on serious special.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FEATHER-...993490?hash=item2a6c250b52:g:LRgAAOSw0kNXhGne

The DX teak is apparently the top of the wazza in Feathers and retails for 280USD at Shave Nation for example (https://shavenation.com/collections...-dx-artist-club-folding-razor-teakwood-handle) but in this case is 50AUD delivered in Australia. From a US seller with a decent rating so I have pulled the trigger and will see what happens. Just thought I should post it here in case anyone wanted one of these - I wanted the non-folding version but beggars can't be choosers and I wasn't about to walk past that price! Caveat emptor of course (no association to me other than placing an order!) and the shipping isn't quick but they say patience is a virtue!

I hope this helps someone...

Now I have some time to research brushes and soaps - there seem to be a few threads about those... :)

Well - as per my other thread about it - that ebay purchase did turn out to be "too good to be true". Refund received.

So I ended up buying @Draco Noir 's non-folding DX Feather, which should be on its way to me now. Thanks mate! If I'm going to give this shavette gig a go I may as well go straight to the top and see what happens. If it doesn't work out I'll be asking for DE advice but I'm going to give it a red hot go.

Meanwhile, while I have been researching the right razor to buy over the last couple of weeks, I have been working more on my technique just with my existing twin blade disposables - hot prep (shower), good wet lather (Mennen shave stick + body shop brush), 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG), very light touch, small strokes - it takes as long as it takes, cold rinse and Bulldog balm. The result is that today I have my first ever BBS shave with no irritation, everywhere except my lower neck (the usual trouble area)! I'm very pleased with this result and didn't think it was possible with those tools. It is truly amazing what difference just having the right technique makes - and how it still takes a little while to get the right result with that technique - a good shave seems to improve the quality of the next one somehow. It doesn't even end up taking that much longer than when I was rushing it without thinking but the results are soooo much better that it's definitely worth a bit more time and concentration!

To think, I have spent over 20 years shaving mindlessly with poor results and it just takes a bit of knowledge of what to do. Thanks to this forum and others for all the tips spread through the various threads...

Welcome mate.

To think, I have spent over 20 years shaving mindlessly with poor results and it just takes a bit of knowledge of what to do. Thanks to this forum and others for all the tips spread through the various threads...
Well done! ;)

Hi guys... Sorry to hijack this thread, it seems to have "lured" a lot of Feather shavette users.
What sort of mileage should I expect with these Feather Professional Blades, let's say the standard Pros?
Currently, I get 3 shaves with each half DE blade (Gillette Sharp Edge or Personna Red), and 2 shaves with Shark Stainless, two passes.
Double that ?

Hi guys... Sorry to hijack this thread, it seems to have "lured" a lot of Feather shavette users.
What sort of mileage should I expect with these Feather Professional Blades, let's say the standard Pros?
Currently, I get 3 shaves with each half DE blade (Gillette Sharp Edge or Personna Red), and 2 shaves with Shark Stainless, two passes.
Double that ?
@FrankF I get 8-10 shaves from my Feather Pro Super blades in my Feather SS non-folding - (was getting a similar amount when I used them in my Mongoose). Blades work out around $22 for pack of 20

Double that ?
I got 10 shaves each out of 2 Kai Guarded Blades in my Feather AC DX. Only had one shave with a Professional blade so far...