Anyone here a gym goer?

Ferret619

Foolish Possums are not Grand Poobahs
2018 Sabbatical
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
I've had an on again off again relationship with the gym for ages, I've always seen it as a supplement to whatever sport I was doing at the time but now I'm a bit older and sport just isn't as important as it was so the gym is fulfilling most of my intentional exercise these days, how about you?

Oh I wish ...

Yes and no. I have a bench thingy downstairs that allows me to do most exercises. At my age I have to work around the injuries but I'm getting there. I've found that going VERY slowly and getting the right advise is key. So if I move to a higher weight I'll start off on 5 reps x3/4 then bump up the reps every couple of weeks until I get to 15x 3/4. Then put on an extra 1kg and start again. :)

I did find a great program this year which seems to be working well, I'll link it here, costs about $20 though but I'm making great gains with it.
http://oldschoolnewbody.com/v5/index.php

Protip: Take care of your rotator cuffs, I injured mine years ago by doing the usual chest exercises but not training the rotator cuffs, only just starting to come good in the last few months after getting some advice from my local osteo guy.

All the best.

I setup a home gym a few years ago, free weights with squat cage, bench etc. but haven't used it for a while now. Weekends are pretty active for me as I work on a rural property so that keeps me reasonably strong. But as I'm getting older I'm finding some areas need a little extra help to prevent problems(ie. back!), so I'm looking to dust off the gym and get back into it soon!

It's been a while since I was really on it but I just hit 100kg dead lifts again so that's nice :)

+1 on the squat cage/ bench/ free weights set up.
With two young kids i now find myself getting up earlier and earlier to get a work out in. 5 x 30min sessions is sill achievable even though some of them are at 4:30am which isn't fun.

I carry my weight set around with me wherever I go, (Others call it my stomach but that's just their opinion), All I know is it weighs a lot and I have to lift it every time I stand up or walk around. :)

didn't went to a gym even when I was dating a girl whose parents owned one :D
I reckon my 40 mins walk each way to my office help me keeping reasonably fit, but in the past I almost reached 100 Kg

Joined the local gym 1 1/2 weeks ago and started back doing some weights. Now I just have really sore muscles all the time. :ROFLMAO:

Joined the local gym 1 1/2 weeks ago and started back doing some weights. Now I just have really sore muscles all the time. :ROFLMAO:
I hear that, I work out befor work so I do weights then sit... a combination of not enough protein and the prolonged sitting afterwards is to blame but now that I Sussed that it's much better

I carry my weight set around with me wherever I go, (Others call it my stomach but that's just their opinion), All I know is it weighs a lot and I have to lift it every time I stand up or walk around. :)

:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Bahahaha

I've gone in stages throughout the last 15 years. When I'd join, I'd go all out like 6 days a week and full commitment.

I had a weights bench, bike and cross trainer at home for the last few years but sold them off last year.

I will start up again soon as i do enjoy it and am out of shape right now as sports is too much risk for my right knee which has already had two surgeries!

I'm not into the whole showoff "lift more than i can manage" thing that most of my friends are into (along with weird injuries!!)! I feel i have perfected my technique and I like to calculate my own lifting program.

My overall routine would be something like 30 mins cardio per workout (bike, cross trainer and rowing machine. No treadmill).

If i have time, I'd do complimentary muscles groups such as
Chest & triceps
Back & biceps
Legs & shoulders (not complimentary of course)

If short on time, just 1 muscle group per workout.

Just typing it out here makes me want to start now!!

They have supplements for that. :)
I have a drink of WPI after a workout with 2.5gms of creatine which makes for no muscle soreness. Sometimes I'll take some 'pre-workout' BCAA's beforehand to help as well. At my age I need all the help I can get. :)

I hear that, I work out befor work so I do weights then sit... a combination of not enough protein and the prolonged sitting afterwards is to blame but now that I Sussed that it's much better

I have a drink of WPI after a workout with 2.5gms of creatine which makes for no muscle soreness. Sometimes I'll take some 'pre-workout' BCAA's beforehand to help as well. At my age I need all the help I can get. :)

Cheers guys! I'm not worried, I know that my body will catch up and the soreness will pass soon enough. For medical reasons, I can't take supplements and protein shakes. So, I just need to make sure I eat well.

Can't do it. Too boring. Too much like hard work, with no real motivation other that 'get stronger, fitter'. But give me a ball or opponent to chase and I'll run til I drop. I'll even go to training and run laps n shit.

I started playing Hockey this year and get all the cardio I need doing that. My team was made up of 70% newbies, and a few very handy guys who hadn't picked up a stick in 20 years. We had a few losses and draws in the first half of the season, then starting winning, and made the finals. We went out in the prelim, but we made the other team work hard for it.

The summer social comp start next month, and with 7 a side on a half pitch, the workload intensity cranks up. It's the no brainer fitness lead in to winter grass league. For me, it doesn't compare to the grind of getting to the gym and lifting stuff.

Cheers guys! I'm not worried, I know that my body will catch up and the soreness will pass soon enough. For medical reasons, I can't take supplements and protein shakes. So, I just need to make sure I eat well.

Absolutely!
I experience DOMS for about a 2-4 week period after restarting weight training but once the muscles adapt, i get much less soreness.

I don't bother with WPI or creatine or BCAA. I do it for overall health and cos it's fun. I'm not at all bothered about putting on huge bulk.
I do take many supplements for health/preventative medicine purposes. I also buy organic where possible, try to avoid chemical exposure in my personal products (this includes smoking and drinking), use an air purifier in my bedroom at night etc etc. Just little things which i hope will pay off over the long run :)

Just based on how creatine is utilised, I'd suggest you try this:

Take 2.5g creatine just before your workout and then another 2.5g "shot" of creatine about half way through.
This would go far to replenish the expended creatine/ATP during the first half.

A couple of my friends provided feedback that they felt it helped them in their workouts and are using this method ever since i told them to give it a go.

Have to say its a great feeling when your workout goes well, your making progress and you get a great pump just befor work, really sets the day off on the right foot.