Anzac Day 2013

JugV2

Simply boring.
I would like to make a post commemorating the men and women who have served this country in our armed forces, many giving their lives.

Today is not a celebration of war, rather it is a day to remember the fallen and those who continue to put themselves in harm's way for everyone living in this country regardless of how you got here or where you came from.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Lest We Forget

Good post, Jug. If there are any vets here, thanks for your service and sacrifices.

Last edited:
Haha, I had two threads open and got mixed up. Fixed...

Last edited:
Hunnymonster that's a great thing to do. Few remember how many were lost before they were even sent. I remember a neighbor who told me about his service in WW1. His company was struck by the 'Spanish Flu' right before they were to be sent to Europe. They lost so many that the survivors were never sent.

Hunnymonster that's a great thing to do. Few remember how many were lost before they were even sent. I remember a neighbor who told me about his service in WW1. His company was struck by the 'Spanish Flu' right before they were to be sent to Europe. They lost so many that the survivors were never sent.

My nana's cousin survived the fighting but died 5 days after the Armistice from influenza

From what I've read it was actually the flu that ended the War. So many were lost to it that they weren't able to field sufficient forces to engage any longer.
Must have been a terrible time.

Saw a Foxtel doco the other day related to Turkey's role in WW1

After turning the allies back at Gallipoli they attempted to invade Russia via a mountain range and 100,000 of them froze to death

German agents tried to get Turkey and other Islamic nations to invade India with the aim of destroying the British Empire

Last edited:
Saw a Foxtel doco the other day related to Turkey's role in WW1

After turning the allies back at Gallipoli they attempted to invade Russia via a mountain range and 100,000 of them froze to death

German agents tried to get Turkey and other Islamic nations to invade India with the aim of destroying the British Empire

WWI was really the last hurrah of the ailing Ottoman empire. Kemal Ataturk, who took us to school at Gallipoli, went on to found modern day Turkey out of the remains of the empire around 1922.

Ottomans took names and kicked ass for several hundred years. Some french bloke once wrote "The only power who with justification can lay claim to the title of universal ruler is the Ottoman Sultan. Only he can justifiably claim to be the descendant of the Roman Emperor."

Some truly amazing history through that part of the world.

WWI was really the last hurrah of the ailing Ottoman empire. Kemal Ataturk, who took us to school at Gallipoli, went on to found modern day Turkey out of the remains of the empire around 1922.

Ottomans took names and kicked ass for several hundred years. Some french bloke once wrote "The only power who with justification can lay claim to the title of universal ruler is the Ottoman Sultan. Only he can justifiably claim to be the descendant of the Roman Emperor."

Some truly amazing history through that part of the world.

I did an honours paper on the role of the mlitary in Turkey - Ataturk featured prominently - Turkeys equivalent of Nelson Mandela.

Not sure exactly when the day is commemorated in Australia but here in the US, VE Day is the 8th.

Victory in Europe Day—known as V-E Day or VE Day—was the public holiday celebrated on 8 May 1945 (in Commonwealth countries, 7 May 1945) to mark the date when the World War II Allies formally accepted the unconditional surrender of the armed forces of Nazi Germany and the end of Adolf Hitler's Third Reich, thus ending the war in Europe. The formal surrender of the occupying German forces in the Channel Islands was not until 9 May 1945. On 30 April Hitler committed suicide during the Battle of Berlin, and so the surrender of Germany was authorized by his successor, President of Germany Karl Dönitz. The administration headed by Dönitz was known as the Flensburg government. The act of military surrender was signed on 7 May in Reims, France, and on 8 May in Berlin, Germany.

Looks like I've just found another antipodean casualty nearby.

I shall have to take a ride up there some time and look him out.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2812350/LYON, JAMES HENRY SCOTT (strange place for him to be laid to rest... Not aware of any WW2 RAF bases that weren't closer to other burial grounds)

I've had a chance to get up there now... Stranger and stranger he is laid to rest in a regular plot (most others laid to rest in a civilian cemetery are in a wee area set aside).

Also seems that someone at the Royal British Legion Scotland already takes an interest.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368387498304.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368387498304.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 9