Review APR Ozymandias ~ My Initial Thoughts

UKSteve

doesn't like banners
Cg8KvNCl.jpg

Ozymandias is the Greek name for Pharaoh Ramesses II, lauded as the most powerful ruler of one of the greatest civilisations of antiquity, the Egyptian Empire.

It’s also the title of the most critically acclaimed episode of the globally popular television series, Breaking Bad. Bryan Cranston (Walt) recites Percy Shelley’s sonnet Ozymandias in the trailer for the final 8 episodes, which oversee Walt’s demise. The sonnet itself relates to collapse following greatness. So, is it ‘King of Kings’ for Ozymandias or a Collossall wreck?

Cranston recites Shelley’s Sonnet

The opening. The cherry itself isn’t too sweet or sharp, it’s actually rounded and smooth. The booziness is a rum note and not just ‘alcohol’ it cuts through the cold air enveloping you in warm harmonious cherry liqueur accord that just sings. This accord gets muted a little by the Oud which is a damp and mouldy Oud with a very slight anti-septic medicinal edge to me. The musks are definitely helping in giving it a ‘dirty’ edge here too.

hY2aNKsl.jpg

SOTD post from testing

The booziness of the top is the first to go on me as it drifts into the base. The vanilla which can certainly have a boozey aspect of its own links everything beautifully, anchoring the creamy woody base and enhancing the boozy opening. The Oud and musks being ever present.

The base is creamy, woody, rich and warm. It’s the star of the show. There is an echo of the cherry opening throughout the life of the perfume. Like the statues, monuments and pyramids left standing today, a hint of the opulence and indulgence that once was.

I don’t know if Dan has done any deliberate and conscious lactone work or it’s simply coming as a result of the lactonic qualities present in the vanilla, sandalwood and musks but it’s It’s complex. Dan probably won’t reveal, but at the end of the day it’s not important. I’ll just simplify it by stating that the base evokes a feeling of warmth and sustenance, an enveloping deep creamy cuddle of the soul. Combined with the damp, mouldy, dirty edge of the Oud and musks which by now have softened a little, there’s none of the esoteric barnyard notes that so many find off putting with Oud, it’s just delightful, complex, opulent and intoxicating for the many hours it lasts. If you get there after many many hours later, this finishes a whispy dry woody spicy skin scent.

RWvUMhxl.jpg

The rich creamy APR lather, much like the scent

King of Kings? That would be a bold claim, but I can certainly say it has a definite air of regality.
I can certainly picture a young Ramsesses II engulfed in an air of exotic woods and musks.

Great review, had me hook, line and sinker. Felt like I was on a magical journey of scents and emotions. Complex review with a lot of thought and experience showing through. Men of scents we thank you both.
Cherry, wood and musk sounds intoxicatingly good and can't wait to smell this in person.

I will be eager to see what Steve thinks of the 'Fenchurch' samples which I will be sending him in the next week :cool:

King of Kings? That would be a bold claim, but I can certainly say it has a definite air of regality.

Kingslayer was a name I was kicking around during development, but well you know, HBO and all that!

You know that cuddle your mother gave you as a child, yeah you know the one, well it’s that one...

In all seriousness I’m not one for writing or reviewing and this is just my initial thoughts. I’m aware of the attention span of the average forum user so I’ve tried to make it ‘appropriate’. There’ll be more little ‘dittys’ like the cuddle to come.

There’s a stage where it smells like someone took a discarded old broken liquor aging barrel that had been left to go a little mouldy in a damp cellar and brought it into the warm sunshine and it’s now drying out, leaching lactonic vanilla notes and I’m sat down wind picking it up on the breeze.

Thanks for the enabling part @UKSteve (was not really necessary, I need to experience this kind of fragances, and No scent coming from APR has ever ben unpleasant or un-nice, though some took my time to enjoy, as I am a naive nose).

Certainly another unique work of @todras , who will certainly take my money too :D

cheers

Put Ozymandias on tonight. It’s a little warmer, for some reason initially it seams a smidgen sweeter than before. It’s a double buy for me in June for sure. I’m going to wear this tomorrow in the say when it’s a little warmer still because that’s how I roll

Put Ozymandias on tonight. It’s a little warmer, for some reason initially it seams a smidgen sweeter than before. It’s a double buy for me in June for sure. I’m going to wear this tomorrow in the say when it’s a little warmer still because that’s how I roll

Its very complicated and it takes a lot of time to get to know it. There is a sweetness there initially without a doubt but it's another of my 'long slow drydown' designs :)

When @UKSteve says "a little warmer" he means one degree above freezing :ROFLMAO: