Review ATT Product and Service

Draco Noir

Gone but not forgotten...
In Memoriam
Over the last year or so I have acquired an almost full kit of Above the Tie razors. For those of you who don't know much about them, they are an artisan producer of seriously well designed and beautifully crafted stainless steel DE razors.

Aside from the obviously extreme quality of their razors, they also distinguish themselves by taking a rather "modular" approach to DE razors. This is expressed through having different baseplates for Open Comb or Safety Bar configurations, as well as user selectable levels of mildness/aggression (M, R or H). The upside to this great approach is that the same handle and top plate can become a quite different razor just by changing the base plate : from Safety Bar to Open Comb or vice versa in seconds, or from rather mild to quite aggressive in the same few seconds.

It doesn't stop at cool design though - the performance of the different combinations is absolutely stellar, and is accompanied by wonderful audible feedback. It's one of the most vocal razors I've ever tried, which I really enjoy. And the piece de resistance of their marketing is the offer of being able to exchange baseplates free if you happen to choose one that doesn't suit you. No other razor maker offers this level of commitment to customer satisfaction, or this level of confidence in their product.

Relatively recently I bought their newest offering, the S1 slant razor. This is the only razor in their lineup that has a different cap as well as baseplate - the slant is achieved by torquing the blade, not by the very simple expedient of mounting the head of the razor at an angle to its handle. For the first and only time I found myself rather disappointed in the razor's performance : it shaved noticeably worse than the safety bar model, a situation confirmed by both @Lifes a Peach and @alfredus who both tried out the whole suite of ATT hardware.

I emailed Stan Hickam, the principal and visionary behind ATT and outlined my problem and disappointment to him. He replied to me promptly and told me that some of the symptoms were normal, but that he would be happy to make an exchange if I insisted on it. I decided to try the razor out again and have a think about what I wanted to do.

That's as far as I got! In less than a fortnight from my email to Stan, I checked my mailbox the other morning only to find a padded envelope from ATT. Inside the envelop was a replacement cap for the S1 razor, before I'd even had the chance to accept Stan's offer of a replacement.

In a world where quality is often questionable and customer service almost extinct, it's enormously satisfying and reassuring to deal with a company that so obviously cares about its products and about its customers. That's the kind of company Above the Tie is. ATT products aren't cheap, but from every point of view they represent fantastic value for money.

If you haven't put their products on your shortlist, do yourself a big favour and check out their brilliant offerings.

Thanks @Draco Noir for your comments. From my observation (rather than direct experience) the ATT razor system is great value for what you get.

Hi Draco,what is the closest ATT to the EJ 89 head,thanks.

tameshigiri_zpspmllwm9e.gif

Sorry @tullfan, I'm not really familiar with the EJ 89, but I would think that the M1 (mildest safety bar) or R1(medium safety bar) would be the ticket, depending on your preference. You can comfortably run a very sharp blade like a Polsilver SI or a Feather in the M1and it shaves very well. The R1 is a little bit more aggressive, but still shaves very comfortably too.

I know that @Lifes a Peach and @alfredus have used the ATT quite a bit, and highly likely the EJ 89 too. Guys, mind chiming in with an opinion for tullfan?

No experience with the EJ89 sorry but I was listening to a podcast review of the EJ89 this morning. The host described it as a very mild razor, milder than an 34C, which I have a fair bit of experience with. This makes me think that a M1 plate would be the closest match.

I've only used the 'H' in the ATT but having used the EJ89 I can confirm that it is pretty mild and would suggest that the M1 is probably it.

Great news @Draco Noir - I have heard so many good things about Stan and I am so glad he came through for you as well!

I have tried the EJ89 and from my (limited) experience I would say the M1 is a bit milder and the R1 is a bit more aggressive...

Have you experienced any other razors @tullfan ? If the EJ89 is your first razor, I would probably recommend the R1...it has for me a fantastic balance between smoothness and closeness.

You can always dial up and down the razor with different blades of course and don't forget the 30 day exchange possibility offered by ATT if you are truly unhappy with your choice (although I highly doubt it).

This is worthy of a thread.
This is a perfect guide to all all artisans, resellers and retailers as to the value of positive customer service.