Review Australian Private Reserve - The Soap

I thought I would share this photograph and review from a friend of mine Tom Morin in CT. He posted this today on a FB group where we are members, his photography of both wet-shaving SOTD and also wildlife in Africa and around the world is nothing short of amazing...I take pictures as many of us do, but Tom is a proper Photographer and bloody hell he takes good pictures!

Tom borrowed this set from a friend in the US and posted the picture and the review as his SOTD - I had no idea this was coming, I woke up to it this morning. I have copied and pasted it without his permission or him knowing cause that's how I roll.... There are no edits to the text aside from hotlinks to protect privacy.

Q3yGIdx.jpg

I have been very fortunate to have tried several of the scents from Australian Private Reserve.
To this point - "General Ledger" had been my runaway favorite. "Coeur de Vert" has, at the very least, matched it.
The performance of APR is on par or exceeds every metric that we have come to expect from the top artisan tallow based soaps. The soap loads and lathers easily, provides a very protective shave and has an above average post shave feel. There is nothing to complain about or criticize.

Dan really shines when it comes to his mastery of scenting. Everything in "Coeur de Vert" just seems to fit effortlessly.
I was a little apprehensive about this scent because I am normally turned off by most florals (with the exception of lavender) but here they support the blend so nicely that I hardly even noticed.
The description -
Top Notes Include: Rose, Violet, Mousse de Saxe, Fresh French Grasses & Clover
Heart Notes Include: Clover, Violet, Rose, Lavender & Sweet Basil
Base Notes Include: French Hay Absolute, Tonka Bean, Oakmoss & Mousse de Saxe
Dan's interpretation of Mousse de Saxe is very pleasant and supports what is one of the best modern fougères out there.
I think it was Matt a few days ago that described it as a cousin to B&M Beaudelaire . I totally agree. Possibly just more lighthearted with a trademark Aussie twist.
The splash matches beautifully and lasts well into the day.
Packaging and artwork are stellar.

I think we all understand the cost of doing business on a global level.
Offering Australian high-end products to a North American market is not cheap.
Australian Private Reserve products are currently available in the USA from Maggard Razor and in Canada from Groomatorium.

Sadly, I do not see this worthy artisan becoming a staple in many of our dens until someone can figure out a way to make it more affordable and competitive north of the equator.

*Post Ends*

So a nice review and an astute comment on the retail price of AP Reserve in the US (We pay a lot more for Barrister and Mann here for the same reason - Airfreight is painfully expensive). Groomatorium is the latest AP Reserve stockist (Many of you will know Ron the perfumer and artisan behind Chiseled Face and the Zoologist collabs) and his store is in SoCal and not Canada. I am currently in talks with a couple of large Canadian outlets at the moment to have AP Reserve stocked in Canada :)

I thought I would share this photograph and review from a friend of mine Tom Morin in CT. He posted this today on a FB group where we are members, his photography of both wet-shaving SOTD and also wildlife in Africa and around the world is nothing short of amazing...I take pictures as many of us do, but Tom is a proper Photographer and bloody hell he takes good pictures!

Tom borrowed this set from a friend in the US and posted the picture and the review as his SOTD - I had no idea this was coming, I woke up to it this morning. I have copied and pasted it without his permission or him knowing cause that's how I roll.... There are no edits to the text aside from hotlinks to protect privacy.

Q3yGIdx.jpg

I have been very fortunate to have tried several of the scents from Australian Private Reserve.
To this point - "General Ledger" had been my runaway favorite. "Coeur de Vert" has, at the very least, matched it.
The performance of APR is on par or exceeds every metric that we have come to expect from the top artisan tallow based soaps. The soap loads and lathers easily, provides a very protective shave and has an above average post shave feel. There is nothing to complain about or criticize.

Dan really shines when it comes to his mastery of scenting. Everything in "Coeur de Vert" just seems to fit effortlessly.
I was a little apprehensive about this scent because I am normally turned off by most florals (with the exception of lavender) but here they support the blend so nicely that I hardly even noticed.
The description -
Dan's interpretation of Mousse de Saxe is very pleasant and supports what is one of the best modern fougères out there.
I think it was Matt a few days ago that described it as a cousin to B&M Beaudelaire . I totally agree. Possibly just more lighthearted with a trademark Aussie twist.

Australian Private Reserve products are currently available in the USA from Maggard Razor and in Canada from Groomatorium.

Sadly, I do not see this worthy artisan becoming a staple in many of our dens until someone can figure out a way to make it more affordable and competitive north of the equator.

*Post Ends*

So a nice review and an astute comment on the retail price of AP Reserve in the US (We pay a lot more for Barrister and Mann here for the same reason - Airfreight is painfully expensive). Groomatorium is the latest AP Reserve stockist (Many of you will know Ron the perfumer and artisan behind Chiseled Face and the Zoologist collabs) and his store is in SoCal and not Canada. I am currently in talks with a couple of large Canadian outlets at the moment to have AP Reserve stocked in Canada :)
Congratulations @todras ! Great review and well deserved! You need to set up a manufacturing base in the USA to reduce APR freight costs... holiday anyone??:sneaky:

Congratulations @todras ! Great review and well deserved! You need to set up a manufacturing base in the USA to reduce APR freight costs... holiday anyone??:sneaky:

Same here, congratulations too. Considering you have achieved all this in such a small amount of time shows that you are well deserving of being called an artisan.
Looking forward to the future and what it brings.

Q3yGIdx.jpg

*Post Ends*

I am currently in talks with a couple of large Canadian outlets at the moment to have AP Reserve stocked in Canada :)

That’s a lovely photograph from Tom and a nice review. I concur with a lot of what he says.
Tom’s hit the nail on the head with his last paragraph to be honest, but, for us in the UK with the added hurdle of no alcohol shipping, Maggards won’t do it, Groomatorium won’t do it either. (I know, who gives a f***)
I bang a pretty much solitary drum for APR in the UK, it’s alright for me, I now have a work around for the above issue. The fact that in the past me having it in the UK has given people sad faces is beyond me, I’m just a bloke who wants nice kit to shave with.
@todras I do hope one of the Canadian outlets is siriannic at topofthechain.ca as he offers 6-30 days ground shipping from Canada to the UK including splashes at a very reasonable rate.

Dan,

Mate, as you would full well know, it's easy to wax lyrical and afford glowing feedback, yet it is in the results that lies the truth.
From my perspective, it appears both align and to me, this is a fair reflection of your products, let alone your passion to produce the very best you can.
Then there is your thirst for knowledge towards achieving excellence in the pursuit of the unobtainable, perfection.
Congratulations upon all you've achieved in such limited time and I look forward to witnessing the results of above my friend :)

That’s a lovely photograph from Tom and a nice review. I concur with a lot of what he says.
Tom’s hit the nail on the head with his last paragraph to be honest, but, for us in the UK with the added hurdle of no alcohol shipping, Maggards won’t do it, Groomatorium won’t do it either. (I know, who gives a f***)
I bang a pretty much solitary drum for APR in the UK, it’s alright for me, I now have a work around for the above issue. The fact that in the past me having it in the UK has given people sad faces is beyond me, I’m just a bloke who wants nice kit to shave with.
@todras I do hope one of the Canadian outlets is siriannic at topofthechain.ca as he offers 6-30 days ground shipping from Canada to the UK including splashes at a very reasonable rate.

I cannot stock my products in the UK or EU until they undergo expensive accreditation for compliance that necessitates compiling a roughly 300 page intelligence dossier for each individual aftershave and soap, the US market does not require this accreditation as Australian standards and legislation are recognised as being of a sufficient standard and quality to not require special certification.

The UK is a whole other ballgame due to the EU agreements, the process for accreditation is bloody expensive and frankly really f*ucking unnecessary when the origin of the products (mine) is a commonwealth nation where we use the exact same CAS for chemical compounds and equivalent standards for cosmetic products. The standards and legislation for what is permitted to be in cosmetic products in Australia where it concerns shaving soaps and aftershaves is identical to that of the UK and we are a Commonwealth too, the Queen is our head of state ffs!

I was going to go through the EU accreditation process, but the UK voted for brexit meaning that the money and time I would spend to be able to sell my stuff in the UK may result in an accreditation that effectively becomes useless in the not to distant future.

If and when I become stocked in Canada, I will let everyone know but I can't and won't drop names until I have an agreement in place, it's not professional to do so :)

I cannot stock my products in the UK or EU until they undergo expensive accreditation for compliance that necessitates compiling a roughly 300 page intelligence dossier for each individual aftershave and soap, the US market does not require this accreditation as Australian standards and legislation are recognised as being of a sufficient standard and quality to not require special certification.

The UK is a whole other ballgame due to the EU agreements, the process for accreditation is bloody expensive and frankly really f*ucking unnecessary when the origin of the products (mine) is a commonwealth nation where we use the exact same CAS for chemical compounds and equivalent standards for cosmetic products. The standards and legislation for what is permitted to be in cosmetic products in Australia where it concerns shaving soaps and aftershaves is identical to that of the UK and we are a Commonwealth too, the Queen is our head of state ffs!

I was going to go through the EU accreditation process, but the UK voted for brexit meaning that the money and time I would spend to be able to sell my stuff in the UK may result in an accreditation that effectively becomes useless in the not to distant future.

If and when I become stocked in Canada, I will let everyone know but I can't and won't drop names until I have an agreement in place, it's not professional to do so :)
*rightfully hands you a soapbox*
Linked thread covers majority of my opinion upon this.

It’s absurd, I agree, a large proportion of the population are sick of EU directives in all areas of life, hence...

The Australian Capital Territory is a mini EU ...

Adult films and firecrackers ?

No more firecrackers - adult films (what is left of that industry post internet) still here but think of some of the red light districts in EUR!

I'm talking about 400k people having duplicate legislation to every other jurisdiction, regulatory schemes being created which are similar, but ever so slightly different to those in NSW, tradies having to have TWO sets of licences and different building regulations. Clearly a house in the ACT needs to be built to different standards to those 1 kilometre down the road in Queanbeyan. We have a 'human rights compliant' jail which now needs to be enlarged a few years after construction and which costs the ACT ratepayers 3-4 times the costs of housing those prisoners in NSW jails as was the previous practice.

An enlarged local Assembly a couple of years ago means MORE Ministers doing something, anything, to justify their existence and even further waste and duplication and regulation etc

[/rant]

Q3yGIdx.jpg

The description -

*Post Ends*

Congratulations! Fantastic review with an equally beautiful photo to match (y)

The translation is "interesting" in some ways - using Chrome it should auto-detect and offer to translate for you.

Again, a great review putting the AS ahead of Fine Products and also B&M, with an overall
"General assessment: optimal, both soap and after, is a product clearly recommended"

I tried to avoid too much slang to make automated translators get the best of it, but yes, sometimes look weird. An english version will eventually appear in an US based forum, so I will link it to here.
And yes, it is a very positive review of a product, but it is as objective as it can be (unfortunately, when I have reviewed other soaps, like wolfpack, I was not able to be as positive - now, I realize I didn't place it here, I will soon). CdV is my most regular soap on my daily shaves for last months, maybe a bit less lately because of Fresca and the sometimes warm summer, and I wouldn't use regularly something that I didn't consider a top notch of my den.

I tried to avoid too much slang to make automated translators get the best of it, but yes, sometimes look weird. An english version will eventually appear in an US based forum, so I will link it to here.
And yes, it is a very positive review of a product, but it is as objective as it can be (unfortunately, when I have reviewed other soaps, like wolfpack, I was not able to be as positive - now, I realize I didn't place it here, I will soon). CdV is my most regular soap on my daily shaves for last months, maybe a bit less lately because of Fresca and the sometimes warm summer, and I wouldn't use regularly something that I didn't consider a top notch of my den.
The mystery reviewer revealed! Great review what I could make out with translate. I actually checked out your Wolfpac review too. (y)

The mystery reviewer revealed! Great review what I could make out with translate. I actually checked out your Wolfpac review too. (y)
As I am bringing some attention about Australian made stuff, a friend asked me about the 'cheap' software that can be bought locally. So far, I got Foulding shave, palmolive cream and stick, and I hope to get soon a winsdor stick. Probably I will divide my face in 4 sections and shave each one with a different stuff on the same day. Actually, I have used faulding shave a few times after some missing software while being south.... never used after that incident was fixed xD

The translation is "interesting" in some ways - using Chrome it should auto-detect and offer to translate for you.

Again, a great review putting the AS ahead of Fine Products and also B&M, with an overall
Indeed, as I've only became aware @todras once made rafts ;)

Indeed, as I've only became aware @todras once made rafts ;)
:ROFLMAO: I assumed he did and I wasn't aware, or it was a bad translation.

This is from the Wolfpac review:
I have used 3 artisan soaps without bacon, and two of them have not fulfilled as I would like, but the faun was a champion, an aroma and performance. The lemon will be next, I also have a little sample that I have spent in Australia...
I like to think this is a fairy tale involving a Faun and something to do with Bacon, threatening a Lemon.