Battlefield 3!!!!

Got on my Korean Air flight on Monday night to unlock it. Finally got my extra pack last night.

Loving it, although the lag on Tehran is awful, plus I am getting Microstutter from my SLi'd GTX460's. The GTX560Ti's also have issues with the game too.

I did play BF2 fairly heavily, but I have been a big COD4/WaW/MW2/Black Ops player.

20011022_Monsta1.png

20011022_Monsta2.png

20011022_Monsta3.png

I play with TOG.... Origin ID is Monsta_AU if you want to add me.

You could activate it on Monday by adding a Proxy in South Korea in order for it to unlock. It was known as 'The Korean Airlines Flight' in order to get around some forum restrictions on cracking protections etc.

It was supposed to unlock here on the 27th, but due to the mass proxy activations and also EB/GAME/JB all breaking street date, EA bought it forward to 10pm on Wednesday anyway (and the servers went down for maintenance at 10.30pm too lol).

Anyway, I can't say I LOVE the game, although it is good. I think MW3 will be my main timewaster.

I pre-purchased via OzGameshop in June or July, for $40.

I got an email on the 27th stating that it has now been released, and shipped, to allow 4-12 days for delivery.

sigh.

Shoulda bought it through EA online.

My PC is pretty old though; I had no luck at all playing it in Beta and it pissed me off greatly.

AMD 4400+, 2GB of ram, DFI UT Lanparty board, ATI 5750 1GB DDR5.

I might TOG up once I get my new pc, for now I'm not gonna try to clan, just go solo once I get the damned game.

I haven't bought a decent graphics card is years, even though I do upgrade everything else. Maybe the last one I bought was a 4770.
Tried to find something s/h half decent on ocau a month or so back, but gave up and stopped caring.
What's a cheap but decent enough one to run this game?
I don't really game much, and when I do it's old old stuff, but need something newer sooner or later, can't even play GTA4 with what I have got.

You could get an ATI 6850 for $180 new.

That would probably be ok.

Depends on your budget really, you could drop double that and get something that will last you a few years.

You could get an ATI 6850 for $180 new.

That would probably be ok.

Depends on your budget really, you could drop double that and get something that will last you a few years.
Depends on silence ;) Budget not that important. edit: well power consumption matters a lot too.
Got a lian li full tower, massive fans for the case, massive heat sinks for CPU, chipset and GPU, all running low RPM fans, even the old GPU has a large heatsink and slow 80mm fan.
I love a silent PC. That was the sticking point for GPU upgrade in the past, hoping someone has a quiet-ish card now that does the job.

Best car at the moment is the most powerful single card you can afford. I am getting microstutter on my SLi'd 460's and there are reports that Crossfire is worse at the moment.

As long as you aren't doing anything like multiple monitors, then even a single GXT460 with a bit of an overclock will do the trick for a single 1680x1050 monitor.

6850 should be fine, and a GTX50Ti would be slightly better. A 6870 would be better again.

I would also say to get 8GB for this game. 4 seems to struggle a bit.

I got 8GB (like I said, I have upgraded everything except GPU)

I've been looking at vid cards, seems the 6870 is the replacement for the 5850, and the 6850 may be slower than the 5850?
Only got a corsair 450W PSU too, only one 6 pin pcie lead. The 6870 requires two 6 pin plugs, so scratching that off the list. I don't know if it's worth getting a 6850, might wait until next year and see what's out with 1 6 pin pcie plug.

Well Flanders, duh!

As soon as I am authorised for such a purchase I will be upgrading.

Well Flanders, duh!

As soon as I am authorised for such a purchase I will be upgrading.

Maybe if you promised the budget controller no more shaving stuff for one month they might relent and let you upgrade that memory. I am sure the rest of us here can keep you supplied in whatever you need that runs out in those four weeks.
(Unless of course its money) :)

Sadly my friend paying for a wedding I a higher priority than a new pc. Well not really sadly but you get my point.

Last edited by a moderator: