Review Blackland Blackbird SS

StratMan

First shave with the bird, and it was love at first sight :love:

Soon as I took opened the box I was in awe of its beauty, its mirror finish polish was quite impressive.. Once I picked it up and held it I knew I had made the right choice with the SS. The weight was perfect for me and it was very well balanced, the razor felt quite nimble in the hand... but the real test was to come with the shave.

First pass WTG was super smooth and boy was it efficient, this continued with the second pass XTG. The real test was to come with the ATG pass and OMG it was still super smooth, so smooth in fact I performed a second ATG without a problem.

You def feel the blade but not once did I feel like it was going to bite, mind you I was certainly paying attention.

I didnt expect my first shave to go this well.. no nicks, weepers or any hint of irritation and the splash went on without any sting, i was truly blown away!!

To summarize.. To me, he bird had the efficiency of the Muhle R41 with the smoothness of a DE89

52354878634_ac887e76df_h.jpg

52354558561_045d3c5fd5_h.jpg

Soon as I took opened the box I was in awe of its beauty, its mirror finish polish was quite impressive.. Once I picked it up and held it I knew I had made the right choice with the SS. The weight was perfect for me and it was very well balanced, the razor felt quite nimble in the hand... but the real test was to come with the shave.

First pass WTG was super smooth and boy was it efficient, this continued with the second pass XTG. The real test was to come with the ATG pass and OMG it was still super smooth, so smooth in fact I performed a second ATG without a problem.

You def feel the blade but not once did I feel like it was going to bite, mind you I was certainly paying attention.

I didnt expect my first shave to go this well.. no nicks, weepers or any hint of irritation and the splash went on without any sting, i was truly blown away!!

To summarize.. To me, he bird had the efficiency of the Muhle R41 with the smoothness of a DE89

Great review, @StratMan.
Such a good razor, I own two!
Many razors claim to be extremely efficient yet smooth/comfortable. For me, the Blackbird delivers this.
I recently purchased a Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB - like the Blackbird, superb design and build quality. For me, it is one notch higher on the efficiency scale, and smooth, but my “Celtic curse” beard/skin cannot quite handle it without minor irritation, so will be heading to BST one of these days.

Excrement I mean Excellent! I'm really glad you found a perfect partner like that. Matches made in Heaven. Or something like that... :p

Great review, @StratMan.
Such a good razor, I own two!
Many razors claim to be extremely efficient yet smooth/comfortable. For me, the Blackbird delivers this.
I recently purchased a Tatara Masamune Nodachi SB - like the Blackbird, superb design and build quality. For me, it is one notch higher on the efficiency scale, and smooth, but my “Celtic curse” beard/skin cannot quite handle it without minor irritation, so will be heading to BST one of these days.

Feeling my face next morning and it feels fresh ready for a shave, only problem is there is nothing to shave still practically BBS.. that's 11hrs later. I was hoping the bird would be a daily driver but there might not be enough to shave off the next day :p

Persnally don't think any extra efficiency is required

I've been eyeing one of these off for ages. I believe there is one still for sale in the market thread. I've been so close to snapping it up but right now I've been trying to build my computer flight console so no new shaving gear for a while now.

I've been eyeing one of these off for ages. I believe there is one still for sale in the market thread. I've been so close to snapping it up but right now I've been trying to build my computer flight console so no new shaving gear for a while now.

It's a killer razor and pretty cheap, I paid $400 for mine which included express international postage.. cant wait to shave tonight, but still not much there to shave off, might go straight for atg passes

It's a killer razor and pretty cheap, I paid $400 for mine which included express international postage.. cant wait to shave tonight, but still not much there to shave off, might go straight for atg passes

pretty cheap - $400!

you could get a lot of vintage for that …

Congrats on the latest addition and a well written review.

I've always been intrigued by the Blackbird and almost purchased one in Brass when they first released but was put off by mixed reviews stating it had too much blade feel so its encouraging to see its shaves both efficiently and comfortably. (y)

Congratulations!
I am wondering though, as I get a way closer shave with the R41 and don't rank the Blackbird SB THAT high on efficiency!

To get the efficiency of the Mühle R41, I have to use the OC plate and that one isn't smooth anymore.
I would rather compare the Blackbird SB to a Game Changer .84P SB. Which is not a slight, as it is an excellent razor. Bot are in the low to mid of medium aggression level and quite efficient for that. Seems to be the maximum for many what their skin can endure.

The Blackbird is much smoother than the Mühle R41, and also delivers a very good shave. So does the Game Changer .84. Or the Lupo .95 OC. OC, for some reason I don't like the Lupo SB as much.
I seem to like the Wolfman clone razors a lot, the Yaqi WR2 clone is also a very good razor.

I rather take the Timeless Slim OC, but this is often seen as too aggressive and harsh by many. As is the Blackbird OC. Many refer to "the Blackbird" exclusively meaning the SB version, the somewhat pointy and more aggressive OC is often found on sales forums.

Just a bit surprised that the Blackbird always generates so much love! No offense intended, the love for the Blackbird exceeds its efficiency by far.

Deviating somewhat from the BB:
Blackland supposedly will re-release the DART, which is, unlike the Bird, a steep angle shaver. I would love to hear from people who own both a Blackbird and a Dart.

Because the few comparisons I have are rather questionable.
Blackbird SB: Shaves like a Rocca
Rocca: Dart and Rocca are equal
Dart: Shaves like a R41.

So, Blackbird, Dart and R41 shave alike? :jimlad:o_O
Nooo, not really. Not at all. At least for R41 and Blackbird I can say that. And that's why I don't watch Shaving Youtubers much anymore.
But then, I don't have to deal with pissed off subscribers! :)

thanks @Morholt (y)

but have to say, I am a bit surprised at your assessment on the efficiency of the BB and comparisons to other razors

I own a Rocca and for me, the shave is not the same as BB. The Rocca I find smooth with very little blade feel (if any) whereas the BB excels in blade feel... I also have a R41 and have to say the efficiency of the R41 SB is on par to the BB SB (unless we are talking about pre 2011 I think where the R41 was known to be very aggressive)

I have used a GC 84p in the past, and agree it has a low-mid aggression level but there is no chance that the BB is in this category, not even close. The GC OC JAWS, which I own, gets closer but certainly doesn't have the smoothness or the safety of the BB SB

What I really love about the blackbird is is is very high in efficiency, but retains a super smooth shave and I suffer no cuts/weepers or irritation at all and there isn't even a hint of any danger coming from this razor but at the same time you can certainly feel the blade on your face

the only reason I can think all this is possible is that the BB is quite blade forward while retaining a small blade gap

There is good reason for the BBs popularity

Last edited:
thanks @Morholt (y)

but have to say, I am a bit surprised at your assessment on the efficiency of the BB and comparisons to other razors

I own a Rocca and for me, the shave is not the same as BB. The Rocca I find smooth with very little blade feel (if any) whereas the BB excels in blade feel... I also have a R41 and have to say the efficiency of the R41 SB is on par to the BB SB (unless we are talking about pre 2011 I think where the R41 was known to be very aggressive)

Ah, there is a misunderstanding. For me, Rocca and Blackbird have nothing in common. They are very different. (And to be blunt, I don't like the Rocca much...)
I just quoted some of the confusing statements I read about Dart and Blackbird that I had a hard time to understand.

Sure, we all have different preferences and perceptions, statements like Rocca, R41, Blackbird and Dart being rather similar make me wonder though.

What you just said about R41 and BB also makes me wonder. Same efficiency? Have you next day touched your neck and cheeks and still think so? Didn't work out for me as nicely. 😯
The Blackbird SB doesn't come close to the R41 there, I can with quite some more effort achieve a similar glassy/marble skin with the Blackbird OC. :finger:
Blackbird SB and R41 in the same efficiency ballpark isn't my experience.

I just don't quite get the same results and excitement with my Blackbird plates. Maybe it is also just because it has a slightly shallower shave angle, I usually go steep. Does not work out nicely with the OC plate, I have to make an active effort to remind myself to keep the angle shallower than I am used to.

Don't you just love this shaving caper? I read someone's comment about how much they love this razor, so I start thinking about buying one, then someone comes along and contradicts them, but with good arguments, leaving me confused and deciding it's probably just easier to stick with what I've got and serves me well... Good times! :sneaky:

...What I really love about the blackbird is is is very high in efficiency, but retains a super smooth shave and I suffer no cuts/weepers or irritation at all and there isn't even a hint of any danger coming from this razor but at the same time you can certainly feel the blade on your face
This seems to be a common characteristic of Blackland razors. Although I've only tried two, there seems to be a running theme of efficiency and total safety. He's obviously a bloody good engineer.

This seems to be a common characteristic of Blackland razors. Although I've only tried two, there seems to be a running theme of efficiency and total safety. He's obviously a bloody good engineer.

exactly right.. even the feather I tried last night was fully tamed no hint of anything but high efficiency and smoothness

Have had this razor for 4-5 months now and thought would be good to come back to this topic and reflect on my earlier comments regarding this razor

Overall thoughts: Still absolutely love this razor, it is the #1 in my den but the WR2 is an extremely close second.

Blade feel: The razor def has blade feel but in an excellent way. I personally love feeling the blade as it allows me to know exactly where the blade is and allows me to get the angles spot on. The blade feel is not menacing at all, and very gentle and smooth on the face, this razor does not bite at all

Efficiency: Have to readdress this. It is not as efficient as the R41 or even the WR2 1.25 but I reckon its the blade gap that allows for such a close and smooth shave. The WR2 is very efficient and smooth but you need to take some care when shaving, or you can def nick yourself, and I believe it is due to the large gap itself. The BB small gap and positive blade feel is the magic mix that sets it apart from others to provide a very smooth, close and safe shave. I can do two ATG passes without any consequence, and reckon this is what gives the impression of its inflated efficiency.

Efficiency Scale: R41 > WR2 1.25 > BB > JAWS > Lupo 95 > Rocca > Lupo 72