Blobbie Too.

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
This is PJs latest restore he did for me. Stripped out a Smog 620. But you knew that, because of the nice handle.
B2.JPGB2 top.JPG

As you can see, PJ puts a lot of effort in. I almost felt like I was stealing it paying him $20. Which was only the price of the knot. A high flying sweatshop career awaits, if he ever decides to move continents.

This was going to be a Blobbie Foo™, but it didn't happen. I'm still fielding abusive phone calls from Dave Grohl. All the 620s black had to come out, but PJ somehow managed to paint it in the Grohlsters fave guitar colour.

foofighters3.jpg21_foofighters_lg.jpg

I don't think that was meant to happen either, but spooky eh? Dave, fuck off, I'm talking here…

This is a TGN 'extra stuffed' knot. 22mm, and PJ managed to get the loft down to 50mm (Smogs don't give you much headroom). Which is still too tall for most badger brushes IMO. As I said to PJ, these TGN do put some perspective on Simpson knots and hair quality ⎯ and price, given their non-sweatshop conditions. This is their "Silvertip" but Simmo's Best is better in every way. The whole hair nomenclature is pretty much a load of bols anyway.

Even so, this is a nice knot. Soft, still a tad scritchy, but that will go away in no time - it's already far less so than TGN Best. It's got little backbone though. I don't think sinking it down 5mm or more would change that. I put a rubber ring around it to see, and it didn't get any firmer. It just got smaller. So they don't stuff them that much, which is the only way to get some muscle in a badger brush. If they did, they might perform more like Simpsons. Anyway, plenty of people like soft in a badger.

What else? It's easy to use – mostly because it's not overly stuffed, despite their claims. Makes a lot of lather from not a lot of cream. Had a shave with Proraso and a Personna this morning and no complaints at all. That's all most people want from a brush. 'Cept us picky ones. The only reason it falls short for me is because it doesn't have any grunt. You can't fault it otherwise. It's a cheap way to get a decent brush, if you feel handy stripping knots and gluing new ones in. Or know a man who can.

No Dave. You don't have a patent on Gibson's Blue. Please. Stop.

This is PJs latest restore he did for me. Stripped out a Smog 620. But you knew that, because of the nice handle.
View attachment 193View attachment 195

As you can see, PJ puts a lot of effort in. I almost felt like I was stealing it paying him $20. Which was only the price of the knot. A high flying sweatshop career awaits, if he ever decides to move continents.

This was going to be a Blobbie Foo™, but it didn't happen. I'm still fielding abusive phone calls from Dave Grohl. All the 620s black had to come out, but PJ somehow managed to paint it in the Grohlsters fave guitar colour.

View attachment 192View attachment 194

I don't think that was meant to happen either, but spooky eh? Dave, fuck off, I'm talking here…

This is a TGN 'extra stuffed' knot. 22mm, and PJ managed to get the loft down to 50mm (Smogs don't give you much headroom). Which is still too tall for most badger brushes IMO. As I said to PJ, these TGN do put some perspective on Simpson knots and hair quality ⎯ and price, given their non-sweatshop conditions. This is their "Silvertip" but Simmo's Best is better in every way. The whole hair nomenclature is pretty much a load of bols anyway.

Even so, this is a nice knot. Soft, still a tad scritchy, but that will go away in no time - it's already far less so than TGN Best. It's got little backbone though. I don't think sinking it down 5mm or more would change that. I put a rubber ring around it to see, and it didn't get any firmer. It just got smaller. So they don't stuff them that much, which is the only way to get some muscle in a badger brush. If they did, they might perform more like Simpsons. Anyway, plenty of people like soft in a badger.

What else? It's easy to use – mostly because it's not overly stuffed, despite their claims. Makes a lot of lather from not a lot of cream. Had a shave with Proraso and a Personna this morning and no complaints at all. That's all most people want from a brush. 'Cept us picky ones. The only reason it falls short for me is because it doesn't have any grunt. You can't fault it otherwise. It's a cheap way to get a decent brush, if you feel handy stripping knots and gluing new ones in. Or know a man who can.

No Dave. You don't have a patent on Gibson's Blue. Please. Stop.

So how long before we see it on sale?

If you check the first picture in enlarged mode you can see the optical prism effect from the reflective paint as light passes through the eight-sided handle. A small consolation for my failed attempt at getting a Foo Fighters logo in there. I think Dave Grohl has about 40 guitars so at least one colour would match.

I think TGN Silvertip, even the extra stuffed knot, needs to be set at a maximum of 45mm I got to full available depth on this one but that still left a loft of 50mm. I did consider actually cutting the knot down but that's pretty risky as you're assuming the glue will soak in to the bottom of the knot. If it doesn't, even to a small degree. it'll be shed central. One day I'll try that trick on a knot for myself.

The great limiting factor with all this restoring is the quality of the knots you can buy. There is only one affordable supplier. Still fun to do. I wouldn't recommend this handle for somebody who hasn't done one before because stripping it and leaving the inside clean enough to look decent when repainted is one seriously time consuming and scary excersize. You only have to slip once with a tool, damage the top on the handle and it's all over.

Last edited:
So how long before we see it on sale?

$70 to you.

I think Dave Grohl has about 40 guitars so at least one colour would match.

I'll bet you showed your kids how magic tricks were done too.

I'll have you know, that guitar was personally designed for the Davester by Gibson. It's a standard ES355, morphed into the DG355 (see what they did there?) The Grohl Dude selected the colour personally. Like, he said "Give me that muthafkin colour, or it's no fkin deal you spazfukkas."

The chances of you selecting that colour without knowing that would spaz out anyone who is into statistics and probabilities. Mostly because such people are easily confused.

......I'll have you know, that guitar was personally designed for the Davester by Gibson. It's a standard ES355, morphed into the DG355 (see what they did there?) The Grohl Dude selected the colour personally. Like, he said "Give me that muthafkin colour, or it's no fkin deal you spazfukkas.".....

And here I was thinking I was the biggest Foo Fighter fan I know.

He probably spent a few minutes looking at the Dulux colour charts and voila (!) 'I'll have that colour there please Mr Gibson'.

......and garethm obviously isn't. The Grohlster doing anything off the cuff like that??

Correct.
And now that you've mentioned the Foo Fighters, I understand the reference to the Blobbie Foo...

Yeah it would have been great if I could have got that damn logo in the base.

@ Drubbing, time for a moderator actioned FF logo avatar for garethm!

Yeah it would have been great if I could have got that damn logo in the base.

@ Drubbing, time for a moderator actioned FF logo avatar for garethm!
I'd stuggle to come up with worse ones than he's chosen so far.