Bottom of the earth.

Johnus

Just ended a vacation in Orlando Florida today. One of the major attraction that opened there this weekend was the New Antarctic Penguin exhibit. One of the comments the staff at the site continuously made was : the Land at the "Bottom of the World" . Now do you guys refer to it as the Bottom of the World"? Do you refer to the Artic as the Top of the World??
? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369774481.559377.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1369774529.759385.jpg

It is quite comon in the Antarctic Science community to refer to Antarctica as "down South" and Macquarrie Island is referred to as "Macca".

I have never heard anyone refer to the arctic as "up North" or the top of the owrld, actually it is pretty rare to hear anyone talk about the Arctic.

Just ended a vacation in Orlando Florida today. One of the major attraction that opened there this weekend was the New Antarctic Penguin exhibit. One of the comments the staff at the site continuously made was : the Land at the "Bottom of the World" . Now do you guys refer to it as the Bottom of the World"? Do you refer to the Artic as the Top of the World??.........

The antarctic is top of the world.
Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IBVPgalgRAk/S89zGrafJAI/AAAAAAAABFE/Dsj8ag-lCHw/s1600/Upsidedown+Map+Of+The+World--Optimized.JPG

The glass in the penguin exhibit was clear to look through but the photo came out like this; sadly all the water photos there came out the same, may be I should have taken it upside down?:)-). Added the sharks because the photo came out clearer, all the photos there came out clear.
Might be the lighting. The sharks were in the Shark Experience restaurant. The lighting in the penguin exhibit was some kind of controlled lights to reflect season and time of day.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369785908.796153.jpg
Sea World entrance ( my daughter).

Living in New York State we use up and down quite a bit. New York City is Down State and the other 99%(land mass wise) is Up State!
Interesting the terms we use.

Last edited:
I've heard Tassie referred to as the arse of the world; not heard of the antarctic referred to as the bottom of the world though.

Mt Everest usually is referred to as "the rooftop of the world".

I think that may be wrong. I live in the arse of the world. They just had a statistic on the radio that over the last 10 years we had more people Die here than Born! And even better: The population has decreased by over 50% since the 1950's. In short, people are leaving the city to try their chances elsewhere. Wouldn't be here if I wasn't born here!
Illegal immigration might be a positive here.

Last edited: