Brush-bamboozlement and Badger-ology…

ben74

Grand Society
Brush-bamboozlement and Badger-ology…
An industry wide standardisation of badger brush terminology is most likely counterproductive to any brush seller other than the long established players. Marketing relies on a point of difference (perceived or otherwise) and nonstandard nomenclature can be good for business.

Brush assembler as opposed to brush maker is a term that perhaps needs some recognition among the traditional wet shaving community. A brush assembler generally takes a preformed knot and sets it in a handle. Most brush assemblers are also handle makers. A brush maker creates both the handle and the knot. Both handles and knots were traditionally made by hand. Now most handles are at least in part machine made and so are some knots. I tend to favour the more holistic idea of a brush being made completely in house, but I also applaud collaboration between handle makers and knot makers. CNC machines enable greater production capabilities and more consistency with handle production which makes plausible business sense especially in terms of time management and quality control. Even more importantly it provides the ability to satisfy more customers. The same might be argued for knot making. Personally I put most stock into the business end of a brush, which for me is the knot and for my money I like the idea of hand tied by an expert in the trade.

Considering knots, the glue bump has almost been reinvented as a term. Once considered an element of a sub standard brush, its now considered more favourably and discussed as free loft. The issue here, is that every single knot is formed with glue. The obvious appearance of glue leaking through the fibres of the knot is definitely undesirable and likely an indication of poor craftsmanship. However, traditionally the glued portion of a knot was always contained within the handle - out of sight and out of mind. Its the fact that knots are now regularly being set differently into handles that glue bumps have become more frequently discussed and more interestingly accepted.

The new trend can be hypothesised thusly. Badger hair is getting shorter. Not necessarily on the animal, but definitely in the knot. It might be argued that an increase in badger brush consumerism translates into more juvenile badgers being harvested and the at their pelts have not had sufficient time to grow long fibres, but that sounds silly to me. A better explanation is that the current trend among brush users sees 2 band badger hair as more favourable, both in terms of appearance and function.

The appearance aspect is obvious - to have a 2 band knot any lighter coloured hair at the base needs to be eradicated which stands to reason that most 2 band knots are likely to possess shorter loft capacities compared to 3 band.

As for function, the more traditional mop-like characteristic no longer curries favour with the wet shaving masses. Backbone was until very recently, one of the most discussed and consequently most coveted attributes. Backbone is directly proportional to density, loft and more recently individual hair thickness. Traditionally 3 band knots improved knot integrity with additional hair. A dense knot provides less splay and the sensation of more backbone. Three issues arise here. 1. Density reduces flow through. 2. Density increases the cost of the knot. 3. Individual hair strength is actually a better measure of backbone. Generally speaking, 2 band hair is less fine than 3 band and therefore exhibits more backbone.

However, there is another way to influence knot characteristics and thats through construction. A bulbous knot relies in part on the density principle with hair supporting each other by way of placement rather than simply through bulk. A fan shaped knot requires significantly more hair to display a similar level of knot integrity, thats why they splay more and feel larger on the face. Then there is glue…

As stated earlier this used to all be hidden in the handle. Now the handle itself can be responsible for the presence of a glue bump. The Simpson M6 provides useful example. The shape of the handle limits the width of the knot possible (just like any other handle) but also the depth of the bore. When the knot specs for this brush were announced the masses called for a wider knot. Yours truly argued against it, but in an effort to accomodate the outnumbering requests the knot diameter was increased. The bore was bevelled permitting the actual or apparent larger knot (depending on your level of cynicism and spacial reasoning), but the depth of the bore could not be altered. In short, a wider knot could not truly be installed. The bevelling meant the knot would be less supported by the handle (is this why some manufactures have that classy looking ring?) and NEEDED more glue in the centre of the knot to maintain the same characteristics that that particular grade of hair was known for. Hence a noticeable glue bump or the knot would have exhibited significantly more splay and less overall integrity (or in other words a feeling of reduced backbone).

This example leads me to the firm conclusion that a brush is best conceived in relation to matching a suitable handle to the knot and not the reverse. The depth a knot is set into a handle will greatly effect the characteristics it ultimately displays. The handle can be almost as much of a determining factor as hair grade and knot construction.

I’m just saying that knots are being set differently into handles giving rise to this new phenomenon now known as free loft. The focus on offering a variety of handle shapes coupled with a possibility that preformed knots might not take into account the effect of bore depth on knot appearance and function, gives rise to the need to make explanation in a positive light of what was once considered more of a flaw rather than a deliberate and now necessary design requirement.

Brushes are not necessarily better or worse for it. The entire premise is a marketable product and a rational to justify change. If anyone is to blame its consumers!

The lack of standardisation in knots is just the tip of the badger.

Buying badger was once a bit of crap shoot. Batch variation not unlike wine vintages meant there were stellar years as well as less favourable ones. Now more brushes are being offered, but with much greater consistency. The only explanation is that the Chinese are producing badger pelt in sophisticated and controlled environments such as state of the art laboratories rather than being the byproduct of an inexpensive protein source… Or, tip treatment has become much more prevalent.

To my limited google investigation there is no authenticated sub-species of gel tipped hair badger, blonde badger, finest badger or super badger. I’m not even convinced of the existence (dare I say it) of an elusive Manchurian or even High Mountain White genus of badger. What I do prescribe to is environmental factors. Primarily geographical location, but also season when harvested and maybe even age of the individual badger, logically must have some impact on the hair. Location on the body definitely does and is where most traditionally and accepted hair grade terminology stems from. However, much must surely be attributed to how the hair is treated (and of course as previously touched on, how the knot is constructed and set).

Is treated hair better than natural hair? I’m not sure. Super soft tips logically don’t seem to be conducive to coarser, thicker or more robust individual shafts of hair. Strong banding with bright white tips again seems more consumer driven as opposed to Darwinism. If treated hair possesses the characteristics shavers want it must be good then? A search of the bathroom that I sometimes share with my wife (I shave in the kid’s bathroom - which seems fraught with hazard given sharp things just out of reach of small hands, but its better than sharp things within reach of my wife’s lovely hands when she realises how much I’ve spent on brushes)…Where was I going with this? Well, my wife’s shampoo and conditioner are much more expensive than soap from MdC or any other high end brand (and they don’t last nearly as long either), but I’m reminded that coloured and treated hair is damaged and requires expensive products to repair and maintain. I considered trying some on my more obviously treated brushes, but SWMBO would not be amused.

Unnatural badger hair does seem to be a natural development and does seem to go hand in hand with preformed knots. I don’t know if some of todays almost McDonald’s style badger hair will last as long as grandpa’s old brush (sadly I never inherited one), but I do know that I have far too many brushes and by virtue of that fact it’s unlikely I’ll ever risk wearing one out. Besides, I’ve also been informed that the majority of badger hair I’ve invested in is in fact UN-treated (yes, some people do provide direct answers to direct questions devoid of smoke and mirrors!) and that goes a long way to justifying price in my mind at least.

The good news for all of us is that there is such a variety of badger brushes being produced that ensures all tastes and budgets are well catered for. The bad news is when we champion a brand or worse attack another which seems to happen regularly now, particularly in relation to handle design. Not too dissimilar to a razor, which essentially is just 2 or 3 pieces of metal holding a blade; holding a clump of badger hair is also going to have its design limitations. Long established brands will provide the inspiration for every brush handle I’ve seen, its folly to argue complete originality. Even Italian master craftsman Marco Finardi who’s brushes must be some of the most unique being offered today surely must take some inspiration from exisiting designs as a starting point for his wonderful creations. Rather than debating the virtues of one producer over another or further muddying the descriptive waters of badger brush terminology, I propose we should all simply celebrate a shared passion and limit justification and qualitative measures to “Gee, that’s a nice brush mate!” Just like we used to…

A nearly 2,000 word essay on shaving brushes - impressive!

Wow! what a long read @ben74 and I almost fell
DSnntWt.gif

Here is my take at TL-DR

Stop hyper analysing brushes. They are more similar that you think, and dare I say the average brush is better/ more consistent quality than they used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my take at TL-DR

Stop hyper analysing brushes. They are more similar that you think, and dare I say the average brush is better/ more consistent quality than they used to be.

@Rami that's why I stop spending money on very high quality badger brushes over $80 because I'm happy using the SOC 2 Band Badger and a Whipped Dog ;)

@Rami that's why I stop spending money on very high quality badger brushes over $80 because I'm happy using the SOC 2 Band Badger and a Whipped Dog ;)

Well not sure I agree. There is the law of diminishing returns. But I still think there are a few that are on the top of the pyramid. The quality of 80$ brushes are comparable across the board. But is it really good the same and a 200$ shavemac?

Good read mate. I hadn't realised the skill in setting a knot till I started working with Tony on a couple of brushes. It's not even just socket depth, but width that needs to suit individual knots and their hair. A 26mm knot set at 15mm socket depth in a 28mm wide socket, will give completely different properties to a 29mm width (though some 26mm knots will challenge you to get into a 28mm socket at 15mm depth). Then the less the socket depth, the smaller you can make the width. Taking into account flow, scrub, splay etc you then have to work out what will suit the hair in your hands. This is before sorting through the oodles of suppliers in China for a great quality consistent knot.

Since starting down the path of learning about brushes in more detail, I've lost some respect for some big brush companies that push out CNC turned, mass produced blanks stuffed with supplier produced Chinese knots. I'm not saying they're not great brushes, but I don't value that work now as much as a hand produced knot from someone like Sabini or Bernd, especially when combined with a great handle. I'd love to see how one of them go about making a knot and selecting the hair to do what they want (and even where they get the hair from).

At the end of the day, if it works and you love it, it shouldn't matter where it came from or what you call it [emoji1]

Wow. Big post but glad you did, presumedly for another forum. Interesting read.

Couple of comments;
You mention a couple of things that are behaviour on forums en mass. I'm oblivious to these because I frequent only this forum. I continue to be very glad this place is free of that trollop!

Secondly;
When it comes to brushes, I am first and always about the knot. I do love a classy handle but I buy knots and the add a handle not the other way around. I feel I am in the minority in this regard.

Finally;
I'm after performance first and fore most and if it's from a machine made knot so be it. Sure, it still has to be high quality, longevity etc. I do prefer hand made and by an artisan because I believe they would have a higher standard, completing the work out of passion, love even, rather than employment. Indeed their continued financial success is depended on a continued high level of customer satisfaction.

I would say (purely my opinion) $80 is just breaking out of the "cheap, made to a price" bracket for a badger and is well short of "very high end". When you have lathered with a $250+ brush I would agree you have sampled the range. NOT that price alone is a reliable indicator of high quality/performance.

That said, what works for you works for you and I'm envious if you have found your happy place amongst sub $80 brushes.

I would say (purely my opinion) $80 is just breaking out of the "cheap, made to a price" bracket for a badger and is well short of "very high end". When you have lathered with a $250+ brush I would agree you have sampled the range. NOT that price alone is a reliable indicator of high quality/performance.

That said, what works for you works for you and I'm envious if you have found your happy place amongst sub $80 brushes.
I agree with this @Sxot, that being said however IMO the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band represents great value for money in that price bracket and punches above it's price point in many ways. For me it lacks a small amount of backbone but I still can't bring myself to move mine on.

Excellent reading @ben74 and well thought out. I fully agree with what you have to say although I have a long way to go before I am even close to having the same amount of experience as you.

Unnatural badger hair does seem to be a natural development and does seem to go hand in hand with preformed knots. I don’t know if some of todays almost McDonald’s style badger hair will last as long as grandpa’s old brush (sadly I never inherited one), but I do know that I have far too many brushes and by virtue of that fact it’s unlikely I’ll ever risk wearing one out.

As a lapsed brush and badger sadomatic, this comment makes me laugh. The subtext is yet again, 'well... these synthetics look ok but will they last?'

I may be jumping the gun, but I say - Fuck Yeah. You should have seen my dad's old Vulfix super badger I rescued after he died. It was fucked and he didn't use it a great deal - the hair just fell out of the knot in clumps. Long story short, a member here put in a TGN knot so I could rescue the handle.

Simpson high end/super stuffed stuff, Rooneys and others are fraught with QC issues. No matter how well they make them, the hair is very fine and failure rates are higher than I deem acceptable. My classic 1, less dense than the two chubbys I gave up on, still sheds every shave, and that one has been replaced once already at simpsons cost, but the postage is killer.

Badger Brushes hand knotted or not, cannot reliably have a long life. A synthetic knot made in a machine is going to be more consistent. The material and process is more reliable and issues can be weeded out before they leave the factory.

In contrast, my Jagger synth objectively outperforms (amount, quality and speed of lather making) any badger I've owned, even though I still use a couple of sentimental faves. The Jagger's never shed a strand, doesn't smell doggy, and still looks as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago, and has pretty much daily use since then.

The piece began as a tongue and cheek response to a similarly verbose article that elevated a new player in the brush game to overnight expert. I was surprised when seasoned consumers didn't challenge any of the asserted truths as they normally would. Some questions were raised by an industry expert and it was then that I understood fanboyism and its power. The exercise was not meant to be a serious argument or an attack on the source of inspiration. I just hoped to illustrate that this hobby can be taken far too seriously regardless whether the subject is brushes or soap...

Here is my take at TL-DR

@Rami In a round about way your sentiment is exactly the premise of my essay.

Good read mate. I hadn't realised the skill in setting a knot till I started working with Tony on a couple of brushes. It's not even just socket depth, but width that needs to suit individual knots and their hair. A 26mm knot set at 15mm socket depth in a 28mm wide socket, will give completely different properties to a 29mm width (though some 26mm knots will challenge you to get into a 28mm socket at 15mm depth). Then the less the socket depth, the smaller you can make the width. Taking into account flow, scrub, splay etc you then have to work out what will suit the hair in your hands. This is before sorting through the oodles of suppliers in China for a great quality consistent knot.

Since starting down the path of learning about brushes in more detail, I've lost some respect for some big brush companies that push out CNC turned, mass produced blanks stuffed with supplier produced Chinese knots. I'm not saying they're not great brushes, but I don't value that work now as much as a hand produced knot from someone like Sabini or Bernd, especially when combined with a great handle. I'd love to see how one of them go about making a knot and selecting the hair to do what they want (and even where they get the hair from).

At the end of the day, if it works and you love it, it shouldn't matter where it came from or what you call it [emoji1]

Thank-you @Korbz, I share your admiration for handmade and its not just the big boys that use CNC and pre-made knots.

Wow. Big post but glad you did, presumedly for another forum. Interesting read.

Couple of comments;
You mention a couple of things that are behaviour on forums en mass. I'm oblivious to these because I frequent only this forum. I continue to be very glad this place is free of that trollop!

Secondly;
When it comes to brushes, I am first and always about the knot. I do love a classy handle but I buy knots and the add a handle not the other way around. I feel I am in the minority in this regard.

Finally;
I'm after performance first and fore most and if it's from a machine made knot so be it. Sure, it still has to be high quality, longevity etc. I do prefer hand made and by an artisan because I believe they would have a higher standard, completing the work out of passion, love even, rather than employment. Indeed their continued financial success is depended on a continued high level of customer satisfaction.

@Soxt I tend to be loyal to one forum and post very little elsewhere. I do browse a number of forums for a variety of information and opinions. As I'm quite established at TSN, I continue to utilise their BST, but I have not posted outside of that section since I started posting here. I've relocated because of that behaviour you refer to.

I agree with this @Sxot, that being said however IMO the Semogue Owners Club 2 Band represents great value for money in that price bracket and punches above it's price point in many ways. For me it lacks a small amount of backbone but I still can't bring myself to move mine on.

Excellent reading @ben74 and well thought out. I fully agree with what you have to say although I have a long way to go before I am even close to having the same amount of experience as you.

@nsavage thank-you and I agree Semogue represent a very sound investment.

As a lapsed brush and badger sadomatic, this comment makes me laugh. The subtext is yet again, 'well... these synthetics look ok but will they last?'

I may be jumping the gun, but I say - Fuck Yeah. You should have seen my dad's old Vulfix super badger I rescued after he died. It was fucked and he didn't use it a great deal - the hair just fell out of the knot in clumps. Long story short, a member here put in a TGN knot so I could rescue the handle.

Simpson high end/super stuffed stuff, Rooneys and others are fraught with QC issues. No matter how well they make them, the hair is very fine and failure rates are higher than I deem acceptable. My classic 1, less dense than the two chubbys I gave up on, still sheds every shave, and that one has been replaced once already at simpsons cost, but the postage is killer.

Badger Brushes hand knotted or not, cannot reliably have a long life. A synthetic knot made in a machine is going to be more consistent. The material and process is more reliable and issues can be weeded out before they leave the factory.

In contrast, my Jagger synth objectively outperforms (amount, quality and speed of lather making) any badger I've owned, even though I still use a couple of sentimental faves. The Jagger's never shed a strand, doesn't smell doggy, and still looks as good as the day I bought it 4 years ago, and has pretty much daily use since then.

@Drubbing synthetic is without doubt the way forward. I agree they are more consistent, faster at making lather, quicker at drying and are likely to outlast natural fibre, but presently I still prefer badger.

As it has been said "it's just shaving!" A brush (and razors!) are tools, not jewellery. They will wear out with use.... fact of life - physics I believe. If you want it to stay pristine, put it into a glass cabinet and don't touch it again.

So use them, and when they are done in many years from now, buy a new one. Synthetic or otherwise. In the meantime, enjoy the shave, whatever brush you use.