Brush Review: Simpson Shootout – Duke 2 vs. Colonel X2L

Mong.

doesn't care for Euro Palmolive
Group Buy Associate
2015 Sabbatical
Brush Review: Simpson Shootout – Duke 2 vs. Colonel X2L

Two middle of the range brushes from Simpson, both filled with best badger hair. These brushes were purchased directly from Simpson in March. The Colonel was a birthday gift for my father. The Duke was for me, a reward for thinking of such a good present.

4iii.jpg

The Duke 2 has a 21mm knot with a 45mm loft. The knot is densely packed and was initially moderately prickly on the face. The prickliness has diminuished over time, as the knot continues to bloom and relax in density, with improved flow-through and release of lather. Initially, though the density benefited the initial creation of lather, it was a lather-hog and didn't release lather during later passes. More aggressive use of the brush has 'relaxed' or broken-in the knot, leading to an overall soft but firmly resistant scrub on the face.

The Colonel X2L has a 22mm knot with a 47mm loft. The knot is moderately packed with distinctly lighter and softer hair than the Duke. The whiter tips appear to be slightly finer and possess less backbone and resistance against the face. The Colonel feels distinctly more luxurious, but the lesser density and soft tips results in a somewhat floppy knot. Despite the lack of firmness and backbone, the brush does lather exceptionally well. The density excels for face lathering, retaining a good amount of water and releasing lather freely.

Despite arriving at the same time, there are some distinct differences in the hair of each knot that make me fairly convinced that the hair comes from different batches. The Duke is darker in colour and has thicker and slightly prickly tips. The Colonel is softer and lighter around the tips, which are also predominantly finer and less resistant to pressure. This natural variation in batches benefited the eventual owners of each brush in this case. My dad likes a soft, floppy brush and I prefer the soft scrub and backbone of mine. Some people have complained about scratchy Simpson brushes on other forums. I'd suggest those people just need to scrub away a bit more with their brush until it softens up. Many suggest that there is no break-in period for badger, but after using the Duke, I'd disagree. It took about three weeks of heavy use to really soften up. That said, the Colonel hasn't really changed at all since it came out of the box, so I guess it's up to luck as to what you get.

I was going to do a comparison of soaps and creams, but the short answer is that both of these brushes have done well with anything I've thrown at them. Even with it's softer knot, the Colonel has made easy work of Mike's Natural Soap and Honeybee Soap, both of which are hard pucks. It takes a little longer to load compared to the Duke, but the result is equally as good. The density of the Duke has been a benefit as I learn to face-lather with soaps and shave sticks, but once again, the Colonel is more than equal to the task. These days, the quality of lather is more impacted by me than the kit I'm using. Hard soaps, croaps, sticks and creams, both of these brushes have produced lather of a high quality.

As far as value goes, the quality of these two brushes far exceeds my other offerings. People who suggest that Simpson Best Badger hair is equal to the silvertip badger of other brands may be right. In these two instances, the knots are soft, luxurious and dense. When I think about what I paid for my Duke, I don't think I got as much value as my dad does from his Colonel. I would strongly recommend the Colonel as a good example of Simpson for any potential buyer. That said, I got exactly what I was looking for in the Duke 2 and it would be hard to justify another Simpson Best. When I have a little spare coin, I'll see about getting a Colonel in pure badger. That could be a scritchy winner.

fc42.jpg

Duke 2:

The good: Strong backbone, soft scrub, high density
The bad: Prickly at first, lather-hog

The Colonel:

The good: Soft, luxurious, great lather release
The bad: Floppy, no backbone = no scrub​

Great review, thanks Sam.

I agonised over what Simpson to treat myself, and I ended up going with the Colonel X2L (Best). Haven't received it yet but looking forward to it. Already have a "Special" in Pure so I thought it was time to try a Best.

You made a good choice mate, the Colonel is a fantastic brush. I ragged on it a little for being soft, but it really does feel great on the skin. I'll be interested to get your comparison with the pure, I'm feeling the need to acquire another brush...

You made a good choice mate, the Colonel is a fantastic brush. I ragged on it a little for being soft, but it really does feel great on the skin. I'll be interested to get your comparison with the pure, I'm feeling the need to acquire another brush...

The Special in pure can be had for around $35...you know you want to!

Gah, don't encourage me. I've emailed to ask about getting a Colonel in pure and what the damage would be. It's a great pity the exchange rate has fallen.

Great thread Mong.

I like the bit about aggressive use of the brush. A bit of tough love has improved all of my brushes so far.

I like the bit about aggressive use of the brush. A bit of tough love has improved all of my brushes so far.

Yeah, I coddled it at first. Breaking up the knot a little has lost a few hairs, but not enough to worry. Plus, it's nice to actually see that being a bit meaner with it isn't going to wreck an expensive toy.

I've never even thought that u might have needed to be gentle with a brush and add a result all of my brushes are broken in really well. With the exception of one brush I bought from this forum which was already used, all brushes have come along well.
Funny but it never occured to me that I needed to be careful.

I held out on the Simpsons (other than a Wee Scot that I picked up for a song)... Bought a Chubby 2 in Best in yonder London in July (after 3 previous trips where I had it in hand but 'internal customs' (hello dear, if you're reading this it wasn't me) was in attendance so stayed the wallet hand)...

Within a month I'd accidentally ordered a Colonel X2L and a Commodore X3 (had an outrageous bet on the dogs come in £1 on at 120-1)

Executive Shaving might be worth a look for Simmophiles (they should knock off the 20% VAT we get to pay but obviously that gets eaten into by the shipping cost). There's a discount code over at The Shaving Room that gets you another 10% off though :D

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14826 (RM feel free to remove the link if you feel I'm taking the pee)

Last edited:
.........after 3 previous trips where I had it in hand but 'internal customs' (hello dear, if you're reading this it wasn't me) was in attendance so stayed the wallet hand.............

Sorry but that is entirely your own fault. Who on earth goes anywhere near a shop with her indoors of the internal customs. And by the way I don't believe a word of the "I won it on the dogs" story.

You think you blokes have got it tough - try sneaking guitars and gear into the house.

You've got to fall back on the concept of 'easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission'.

You think you blokes have got it tough - try sneaking guitars and gear into the house.

You've got to fall back on the concept of 'easier to seek forgiveness than ask permission'.

I know of your plight Drubbing. I do admit to having a little bit of a chuckle when I occasionally dropped something shaving related in your letter box.

No Marshall stack for you then Drubs?

No Marshall stack for you then Drubs?

Not a chance. Even the kids are going cold on Black Sabbath. I'm failing as a parent.

I've been struggling to justify getting a Tele (again), but I think an acoustic would serve me better at present.

Not a chance. Even the kids are going cold on Black Sabbath. I'm failing as a parent.

I've been struggling to justify getting a Tele (again), but I think an acoustic would serve me better at present.

There's always The Who!

It's nice to have an acoustic to jam on, I have a mid-level Cort from the Korean factory and it's nice for what it is. You can justify your purchases with the kids a little bit though, passing instruments down and whatnot. It's an investment in their sense of culture really, I'm sure your missus doesn't want bogan children. A Tele is very civilised.

There's always The Who!

It's nice to have an acoustic to jam on, I have a mid-level Cort from the Korean factory and it's nice for what it is. You can justify your purchases with the kids a little bit though, passing instruments down and whatnot.

I can't play that card either, they're right handed. But I do argue that having musical instruments around the house conditions the kids you don't need some sort of genetic musical 'talent'. Anyone can do it. How good you get depends on how much ability you have, and how much you work on it.

I tried a few low end acoustics, not a lot to try being left. But preferred a Sigma over the Cort, which was $100 more. Actually preferred the Sigma to the $1600 Martin its based on.

Pardon the thread crap, but you get free bumps.

Luckily I kept the winning slip & receipt to back up my story to internal customs...

I think I would get in more trouble for betting than for buying the brush. Unless it was the lottery cos "that's not betting".

No dear, it isn't... it's an idiot tax.

Jeez. I was out at the dogs with my old man (who's been seriously ill this last year)... 9 races... £1 on each and the cheeky 3 race accumulator (4-1, 6-1 & 5-1) to take me to the round tenner for the evening. That's my wagering over until the Grand National...

Last edited: