Budget Honing - Lapping Films Rev A

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
It took a while but I have at last put together detailed instructions on honing with lapping films.

Honing with lapping films is probably the most economical way to hone a SR. It's not rocket science and even a slow learner like myself can do it. These instructions take you from bevel correction > bevel stetting > edge refinement > edge finishing to shave ready. If you can follow instructions, you should be producing shave-ready edges with your first or second attempt.

To help improve these instructions, please post any questions or suggestions in this thread.

Last edited:
Some feedback:

On page 7 the Titan photos, the permanent marker is the same color as the background - black. It makes it hard to see the results of the rubbing, especially on the bevel.

If the photos could be redone with a red sharpie or against a different colour background, it would be very helpful.

On page 7, it would be helpful to include another photo of the razor after the compound bevel has been removed. I actually just worked through this with a Titan and I only found this document only afterwards. I wasn't sure how much metal removal was appropriate, but in the end it was just A LOT, especially at the heel, very similar to the Titan razor shown in the pictorial.

I am managing to shave every 2-3 days after my skin recovers 😬. My biggest problem, I do not believe is edge quality, but my own skill level with SR shaving.

I am managing to shave every 2-3 days after my skin recovers 😬. My biggest problem, I do not believe is edge quality, but my own skill level with SR shaving.
It is often the case that it is SR shaving technique that is lacking. I trust that you have read the instructions. Here they are again. You may wish to refresh your memory.

Page 8 - 8.3(b), I think should be 25 laps not 250.

Between 8.2 and 8.3 should the edge be jointed? Otherwise is the burr detected in 8.3 from 13 micron or 9 micron?