alfredus

Auctioneer-in-Chief + organises many group buys
Staff member
Site Moderator
State Convenor - SA
Grand Society
Group Buy Caporegime
Charity Auction Team
First I want to thank and congratulate Tom White on a fantastic razor – in case you don't know the story of the Bunny – Tom developed it on his own in a couple of months from scratch! You can read all about it here, but basically the Bunny V3 is a prototype injector blade razor and Tom is currently evaluating feedback from users, before going to the production stage.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/home-made-injector.48902/

And of course my deepest gratitude goes to @bald as – he had the decency to lent me the razor, and then wait for me to leave before he had his heart attack – I am really glad you are well again and back home my friend!

While I would consider myself relatively experienced with DE razors (my current line up includes a Wolfman, Above The Tie R1, Weber PH, Ikon DLC Slant and RazoRock Stealth Slant V1) I am certainly no expert when it comes to SE razors and especially injector blade razors. I have tried a Mongoose (and not liked it very much), a GEM G-bar (very inefficient for me), a GEM 1912 and a GEM Clog Pruf (both very efficient, yet aggressive) and a Schick L-Type (absolutely LOVE the shave, but the razor itself is unfortunately not a piece of art). As such I would say, that I prefer medium to mild razors, that are very efficient.

I also want to mention, that I deliberately have tried not to read reviews about this razor in order to keep an open mind.

The razor is simply stunning and comes in a beautiful metal box:
BunnyV3S_zpsriludldq.jpg

I believe the the top plate is made of brass? but in any case it is already developing a beautiful patina, while the rest of the razor is machined aluminium. It is perfectly manufactured, has lovely clean lines and comes
with a stand and 3 different base plates – all in open comb. The are called Mild, NotSo and Wild – in increasing level of aggressiveness.

For this review, I had the razor for 1 week, which is 4 shaves for me and I used exclusively the mild plate. I shave every second day and do 4 passes (WTG, XTG XTG/ATG, ATG). And I used a fresh current model Schick Injector blade.

The handle of the razor looks beautiful, but at first I was afraid it might be very slippery. During the first shaves I had a towel next to the basin and tried to keep my hands dry at all times. Of course I got more and more careless and I noticed at the end of the last shave, that I haven't dried my hands even once during the shave. Yet I never had the feeling, that I would loose the grip on the razor.

What also threw me a bit off at the beginning, was that the razor seemed to be very unbalanced and top-heavy. Again this was unfounded – the razor is very agile and easy to handle and yet it does the work for you – so another great design feature.

The only negative point about this razor – and I know this is purely my personal preference – is, that even the mildest plate is very aggressive for me. It took me 4 shaves, to get a bloodless result and even then I had a big sting from the alum. I don't even contemplated, trying out the other heads. Yes it is a very efficient and smooth shave – I think this is the benefit of all injector razors - but still very aggressive.

So if I had one design change, that I would recommend for the production model, it would be to model the mild baseplate maybe around the Schick L-Type and then go from there. But again I know, this is purely my personal preference, and that there are many wet shavers out there, who can't have it aggressive enough.

Here some more pictures form my SOTD's:

20160312_SOTDSSepia_zpsvijnycv2.jpg

20160315_SOTDSbw_zpsnlu5awym.jpg

20160317_SOTDS_zpsena16bfz.jpg

20160319_SOTDSSepia_zpslsrjj0c2.jpg

So all in all, I think this is a fantastic razor and I am sure it will be very successful, when the production model hits the market! Again congratulations to Tom – I think this is a stellar effort!

Great summary and review @alfredus

I'd never heard of it until your first SOTD/mention of it.

Can you please give an indication of potential cost and a likely date when it would be available? Thanks.

Sorry @filobiblic - I myself never heard of bit either, before @bald as mentioned it. I guess you can as Tom directly? I am about to send him a Pm and invite him over...

Great review @alfredus - I will forever call the Bunny my heart attack razor :) . I think as Tom gets the feedback from those who have used the razor he may make some changes. For me I could happily have it as my single razor. It is aggressive but as I learned, apply less and less pressure and the razor performed so much better. It is an injector razor purely by design but because of the open comb arrangement it is so much like for example the GEM MMOC or the GEM Jewel. When the razor is returned to me I will write up my review as well, not as good as @alfredus though. ;)

That would be @twhite ?

Welcome mate - the anti-spammer processes may hold you back for 24 hours into this thread but please hang around.

This looks like an amazing bit of kit - a 'new' razor that is actually new!

Great review @alfredus and well done loaning it @bald as (y)

As yet no but I would think it will happen sooner rather than later as Tom doesn't let grass grow under his feet. No idea of cost but it is a very high end piece of kit.

Steve
Sounds fantastic. I'll be keen for considering one.

I hope that @twhite will keep us posted in this little 'ole corner of the world...

Hi guys
Its me Tom builder of the Bunny

I will definitely be posting to your forum. I will try to answer all of your questions. For now I have some tips for all those testing the Bunny for me.
Most important is a feather touch with it. The razor will do ALL the work for you.
The second thing is getting the correct angle. Here is how I do it. Start with the spring only touching your face. Then slowly lower it until you feel the blade cutting. This angle is very different from most razors. If you happen to ever shaved with an old Schick repeating razor that is very close.

I will post more info later and answer a few of your questions that have ben posted

Tom

Hi Tom ( @twhite ).
Very interesting razor you have there. If I may make a suggestion, not on the razor, but on the video;
Try rotating your camera (I'm assuming it's a "device" such as a phone given the aspect ratio) 90deg. It will be much more pleasing to the viewer as the 'landscape' orientation mirrors the way we see the world (wide and short). When done in 'portrait' orientation it always feels squashed and limited because it effectively cuts off the peripheral vision. Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.

Hi Tom ( @twhite ).
Very interesting razor you have there. If I may make a suggestion, not on the razor, but on the video;
Try rotating your camera (I'm assuming it's a "device" such as a phone given the aspect ratio) 90deg. It will be much more pleasing to the viewer as the 'landscape' orientation mirrors the way we see the world (wide and short). When done in 'portrait' orientation it always feels squashed and limited because it effectively cuts off the peripheral vision. Anyway, just my thoughts on the subject.
@Sxot
That was the very first video I ever made. In the future I will do that. I had my not too happy wife use my iphone to make it.

Next one I will get my son to do it.

Tom

@Sxot
That was the very first video I ever made. In the future I will do that. I had my not too happy wife use my iphone to make it.

Next one I will get my son to do it.

Tom

Haha... I can see the expression on your wife's face, scowling at you from behind the camera! On the surface it seems a good idea to go portrait. You are recording a tall skinny person after all. It's just when viewing it the problem arises.

Haha... I can see the expression on your wife's face, scowling at you from behind the camera! On the surface it seems a good idea to go portrait. You are recording a tall skinny person after all. It's just when viewing it the problem arises.
Yes. She does not understand our obsessions. At least she did it. My other choice would have been my dog[emoji3]