Buying vintage in Melbourne

leigh44

Was just wondering if any of the markets around Melbourne are a good place to find vintage shaving products. If not, are there any goldmines out there?

I'm not aware of any from my visits but locals may know better. I spent a day doing all the antique shops I could and think I came up empty handed a little while back.

I've never seen anything. You'd think with all the hipsters that the vintage niche gear would have gotten a bit more visible, but no joy so far. Just printed shirts as far as the eye can see...

What sort of places are you looking in? I've never had any luck in an Antique shop, but it's rare that I don't find anything in vintage markets. There are plenty of them in Melbourne, in the four that are in Geelong I routinely find razors, old brushes and mugs. Mostly SE and Valets but there are certainly DE's to be found.

What markets around Melbourne are there? I don't actually know of any, just know that they exist

Mark's been in the game over 5 years. There's nothing left.

Don't speak too soon - I miss stuff too.

Whenever I go places it is common that just last week somebody came a brought all their razors :(

BTW - only been since march 2010 ...

The Junk Company (near Victoria Market) in Elizabeth Street occasionally has some. Mostly SE's but occasionally a DE turns up. A friend picked up a Gillette Twist from a place in Geelong. He reckons the Geelong shops are best for DE's. Chapel Street Bazaar is a good source, according to an Uncle. My strike rate is usually bad.

Really depends in your luck - one day its junk, the next you find cased NOS razors...

.... @Mark1966 might I suggest accountancy is the trade for you mate? And no drama that little career's advice is free.

According to my collection spreadsheet the first purchase was from [the late] Country Joe's Collectibles on 15/03/2010.

According to my collection spreadsheet the first purchase was from [the late] Country Joe's Collectibles on 15/03/2010.
Do you remember what inspired the purchase and what it was ?
Still own it ?