Cast Iron fry pans

Drubbing

110% Smiley-Free
Anyone with experience? I've had enough of my Celeb Chef non stick that lasts two years before getting crappy and want to try something different.

Been through SS, no good for frying, steaks eggs etc. Picked up a cheap bare cast iron pan from a camping store. Straight away I know it'll be a pain because the handle is cast too, and will get hot. I'm only out a few $ if it doesn't work well, but if it seasons well and is decent non stick (I always use some oil anyway) I'll look for something a bit more up market

Anyone know of some nicely made stuff with cook friendly handles? I can't find anything. Only the enamelled stuff from France, which is pricey for to take a punt on.

I know what you mean. Non stick sucks big time. One twit with a fork making scrambled eggs and there goes the Jamie Oliver special. Had exactly the same quandary and left it to my wife to buy one and we ended up (of course, expensive shoes, expensive cookware) with a hideously expensive SS pan with a heat spreading copper bottom. Very good pan but serious bucks. I'm sure you can get them with wooden handles and I'd suggest hunting one down in camping shops or online. Let us know how you get on. Would still like a smaller cast iron pan. The non stick layer on our current Royal Doulton Gorgon Ramsey edition frying pan (did I mention expensive tastes?) is of course peeling off but the pan is also seriously unstable as the handle actually weighs as much as the pan with a couple of eggs cooking. Have narrowly missed splashing red hot oil down my legs on numerous occasions.

Yep, copper bottoms - Essteele. I got a big arse sauté pan that weighs a ton. All steel & copper bottom. Top quality, but I'm not buying a set of that stuff. I don't actually like cooking with it. It takes a loooooong time to heat up.

I've got a $15 cast frypan from a Ray's Outdoors. Will see how it goes. If good I'll try and find one with a silicon handle of something. The only other cast option is the enamelled French stuff, and that makes Jamie's stuff look cheap. No one really make good looking, kitchen-practical cast iron, it's too cheap to bother with it seems.

Le Creuset, the best known make of French enamel, is really good stuff (I'm sure I've mentioned my wife's expensive tastes) but yeah, it's mortgage collateral.
It wouldn't be surprising if in twenty years time there'll be a specific bowl cancer named after the generation of people using non stick frying pans.

I think I have the small Rays cast iron pan too. I liked it so much I went and got a big one. Season them properly and they're as non-stick as anything else. The main challenge is educating the house not to stick it in the sink with everything else. Also worth considering are the deBuyer steel pans. Similar benefits to cast iron, but they're a bit lighter and more responsive to heat. More expensive too though. I have one, and I like it more than my cast iron. Great for searing steak, tuna, etc.

As far as Le Creuset goes, I have a hard time believing that it's justifiably better than the way cheaper enameled CI stuff from Harris Scarfe.

Hmm, this Ray's cheapie is a little rough, that might prevent it becoming much good, stuff could be easier to stick, harder to season. I've found somewhere in Sydney that has Lodge, and these seem well regarded and look pretty smooth on vids I've seen

The deBuyer carbon steel are worth a look too, like Iron they need seasoning to work non stick. They can be had locally online for good prices. Might be an option if the Iron is too hot to handle.

It'll smooth out over time, the main thing is to make sure you spend enough time seasoning it before use to make it usable until then. I did mine six times in the oven for three hours. Excessive? Yes, but it came out well enough to cook eggs in straight away. Lot of bother though. Worth it for me because they can go in the oven, and because I like cooking creole/Cajun.

I think there are a number of benefits to the deBuyer. They season more easily, are way lighter, heat fast and also distribute heat more evenly. Cast iron is hotter, better for finishing in the oven, and gives that great smoky crust. Either way, you get a way better option than any non-stick.

............As far as Le Creuset goes, I have a hard time believing that it's justifiably better than the way cheaper enameled CI stuff from Harris Scarfe.

It's justifiably better because it's called Le Creuset. You can pronounce that with a sexy French accent. Try doing that with Harris Scarfe. You clearly haven't got a wife with expensive tastes in shoes.

Seems to be many ways to season. What has worked for people here?

Pj, if you want to cheap out with pro gear, you need deBuyer. You can make it sound sexier. I did get a $14 carbon steel wok from an asain shop years ago. It was crap. Seasoned the hell out of it and it was a still a bugger to use and clean. Mind you, might be harder to season a big wok than a small pan. If I try a deBuyer, I want it to be a lot better.

Seems to be many ways to season. What has worked for people here?
Oil,light coat - heat the crapout of it - wipe oil out - repeat.
Have had my el cheapo pan the my Dad bought about 18 years ago - use it for steak fried eggs omeltes scrambled eggs etc - wipe it down after use - occasional wipe with a little oil. The bottom surface is like a black mirror. They really are not complicated to look after - if you need to wash them dont let them stay wet - wash then dry right away (even put on low heat for a few minutes to drive off any moisture. They will outlast any copper bottomed or any other type of frying pan for many years. Remember when it comes to cast iron heavy is good.

cheers. I saw a chef on a vid do a deBuyer that way. Said he did it 11 times. It was black when he'd finished. Any particular oil? Some reckon one works better than another, but that could be cook nerd territory...

Not sure it you can get it optimal trying to do it like that, it probably gets better naturally with lots of use. Pretty much the opposite of Teflon...

cheers. I saw a chef on a vid do a deBuyer that way. Said he did it 11 times. It was black when he'd finished. Any particular oil? Some reckon one works better than another, but that could be cook nerd territory...

Not sure it you can get it optimal trying to do it like that, it probably gets better naturally with lots of use. Pretty much the opposite of Teflon...

No prefernce on oils - one with a higher smoking point would probably be better - 11 times is just stupid. One hundred percent agree it gets better with cooking - heat it up - melt a bit of butter or oil if you prefer through in your favourite type of egges (boiled or poached wont work real well) and away you go - when finished wipe it out with any cloth with a little oil. The only time I wash mine is when I do steaks where I like to get the pan searing hot through in some salt and drop the steaks in turn them over when they no longer stick and take the pan off the heat - residual heat will take care of final cooking. This tends to leave a little bit of crust on the pan - quick rinse and back to the mirror black finish. Dont know whether it would affect anything, but I cook with gas so I can get the pan very hot indeed.

Just did some seasoning last night. Didn't heat the crap out of it, used veg oil, (olive would be crap I think, to low a smoke point). Today had another go and heated the crap out of it. Going golden brown and black. If the deBuyer vid is anything to go by, I'm on the right track.

Lodge have a silicon sleeve to fit over the handle, I might see if that'll fit Ray's cheapy. It's the only big downside for me so far.

I do like the fact Iron gets real hot real quick - but I'll have to get used to the heat retention. That's what I don't like about non stick, you'e supposed to cook on med heat so you don't compromise the coating. Which means they'll be crap for steaks and any other high heat frying. I did heat the crap out of my small Jamie O and now it's trash and I'm not keen on using it. The 28cm is fine though, I think the bigger pan disperses more of the heat, it never gets as hot, as I've found when cooking salmon in both pans side by side.

Last edited:
If you're seasoning something like the deBuyer, GT's method is good. If you're doing it to cast iron, I would recommend a slightly different approach. Firstly, the type of oil you choose does matter. There's a bit of science here, and not just in regards to smoke point. Seasoning is caused by fat polymerization, and some oils lend themselves to this process better than others. Canola/grapeseed oil, avocado oil and flaxseed oil in ascending order of quality and price. You want a polyunsaturated drying oil high in fatty acids called ALAs. It's the release of the 'free radicals' that everyone whinges about when you heat an oil to smoke point that actually creates the hard, black and glossy surface. Simply put, the oil is heated, radicals are released and they bond to form the coating. Extremely bad for you when you're eating, but this is chemistry, not cooking. The most readily available and suitable oil is canola or grapeseed. It's cheap, and it's what I used. Avocado and flaxseed oil just have a higher percentage of ALA, so they make for a slightly harder polymer.

Stick your pan in the oven at 200 degrees. Let it heat for a while so the pores open. Take it out, and crank the oven to 350. While it heats, take your choice of oil and evenly distribute it across every surface of the pan. Then, take a paper towel and wipe it out. You want an extremely thin film of oil, it should be shiny but not visibly 'wet'. Your oven temperature must be above the smoke point of whatever oil you choose, but it doesn't have to be ridiculously so. Stick your pan in the oven, and come back in an hour. After an hour, turn off the heat, and leave the pan in the oven until it cools. When it comes out, it won't be glossy and black. It will be darker and increasingly matte in finish. Let it cool properly, and then repeat the process until you're satisfied with the outcome. Fair warning; the oil will stink out the house a bit, so open a window. After six bakes, my pans were both reasonably smooth and shiny black. Over time and repeated use, they've developed more of a shine and darkened in colour.

This is a fool-proof method for maximising the seasoning process. You don't need to go overboard like this, but I chose to do it to get the best possible result and it pays off. The more times you season, the harder your seasoning and the less likely it is to be stripped if you want to fry a tomato straight away. You could season it just once and away you go, but the more you do, the less it will stick. Might as well do it right the first time and never worry about it again.

..........Pj, if you want to cheap out with pro gear, you need deBuyer. You can make it sound sexier.

Where'd ya get it?

They're also as French as they come. They even have a collectible range with the an Eiffel tower design handle.

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes. I still like the look of Lodge, even though I haven't used this cheapy yet. The Lodge is better finished, looks nicer