Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
If I recall correctly, somebody here collects war memorabilia, including WWII German items.

Under the Counter-Terrorism Legislation Amendment (Prohibited Hate Symbols and Other Measures) Bill 2023, according to the summary on the Parliament House website, criminal penalties may apply to "trading of goods that bear a prohibited Nazi or Islamic State symbol".

I don't know the details and this is NOT an invitation to discuss the pros or cons of collecting such items - just a heads up to those who *may* be impacted.

"trading of goods that bear a prohibited Nazi
I wonder if this extends to plastic model kits? It would depend on what symbols have or will be banned. The explanatory memo says, "
These prohibited symbols – the
Nazi hakenkreuz (or hooked cross), the Nazi double sig rune (the Schutzstaffel insignia or "SS bolts").

If it does seems like a sledgehammer being used to crack a walnut. Standard "some nutjob was a tool so let's make reasonable people's lives harder."

If I recall correctly, somebody here collects war memorabilia, including WWII German items.

Under the Counter-Terrorism Legislation Amendment (Prohibited Hate Symbols and Other Measures) Bill 2023, according to the summary on the Parliament House website, criminal penalties may apply to "trading of goods that bear a prohibited Nazi or Islamic State symbol".

I don't know the details and this is NOT an invitation to discuss the pros or cons of collecting such items - just a heads up to those who *may* be impacted.
That's me.

The legislation covers selling items of this type, however you can still have them in a private collection, you just can't advertise them for sale or display them in a public place.

It won't stop sales though as serious collectors know each other and keep in contact via email or forums anyway. This is just a way for the government making the public feel like they are doing something about neo nazi morons in Melbourne.