Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Why have I posted this in the shaving section?

Because one of the reasons you will be coming to CBR is to see an amazing selection of razors - as shown in these pics.

Why would you want to do that?

Because they will not all be around indefinitely.

What do I mean?

I'm currently discussing with a collector overseas for him and another collector to buy a significant portion of my collection.

Quite simply collecting is becoming far too serious and too expensive and living Down Under makes it even harder. I simply can't go to an antique shop and pick up a Double Ring for $3 or a NOS Toggle from a yard sale for $10. It has been quite a considerable investment of time to get the collection to where it is today. Just maintaining it is not sufficient fun to last and the stuff I cannot use, well I cannot use.

So, very seriously, if you are thinking one day you would like to see all these razors PM me and we can see what is feasible. I don't expect this to happen overnight but it will happen.

I also know I can trust you just to keep a secret - so lets keep this to ourselves at this point OK?

Wow, that's radical Mark. Don't know what to say. What are you going to hold on to?

Last edited:
Have you approached museums and other realistic outlets, that would have the cash flow and real estate to display these ?
Are there exhibits within your collection that would be fit for display in an RSL upon a permanent vacation ?

Conversely, $1 inc post :)

$2!

Mark best of luck with what ever you decide to do. An amazing collection you have put a butt load of work into but if its not giving you the jollys it's probably time for a change.

I'm sure a few choice pieces will hang around to keep the whiskers at bay!

Hi guys - hope I haven't thrown you too much :D

Museums are usually not interested in razors and would certainly not buy them. Most museums have large holdings in storage and don't want anything more unless it has particular significance. Ned Kelly's razor (with appropriate provenance) would be valuable but the same style without that connection not.

Initially the plan is to sell the US made ones and keep all the British made ones - although this may change later. I started out buying stuff to try and use but the vast majority I don't, and if NOS I wouldn't so I'll probably go back to that mantra.

Never know - I might buy some blades with the proceeds ...

Or a new Mercedes.

or pay off some debt :)

The aim is to help fund a final family holiday before my adult kids bail out ...

or pay off some debt :)

The aim is to help fund a final family holiday before my adult kids bail out ...

The key to that Mark is to send them on a holiday and then either change the locks on the doors and windows or even better move to Iceland wth no forwarding address otherwise as PJ so rightly says the little buggers are always on the doorstep - begging bowls in hand. (Alternatively if you get enough money you could always hire a discreet hitman, but Mrs Mark might get a little tetchy if she finds out).

Wouldn't you be better off selling them on ebay? Become Australia's answer to cedarfurnitureman. I realise the shipping costs will knock prices down a bit but given the rarity of most of your collection I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a drawback.

The key to that Mark is to send them on a holiday and then either change the locks on the doors and windows or even better move to Iceland wth no forwarding address

My parents actually did this to my step-brother, makes for a really funny story. They sold the house and moved and didn't tell him, he came home let himself in and then realised the furniture was different. He tracked them down via thier business address.

I think you alluded to this a while ago Mark.
It's got to be difficult working out a price for it all though.
Unless you are a boring _accountant that is.

$2.01 :)

Surely there is a reasonable option for these to end up as a display and not be separated ?
Otherwise, what's the point of all the effort you've gone into building this collection ?

I have an idea how you might have got into debt...

NAH - haven't purchased enough razors for that. ;)

Wouldn't you be better off selling them on ebay? Become Australia's answer to cedarfurnitureman. I realise the shipping costs will knock prices down a bit but given the rarity of most of your collection I'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a drawback.

Yes but that will be a lot more work and I just haven't got the time unfortunately.

My parents actually did this to my step-brother, makes for a really funny story. They sold the house and moved and didn't tell him, he came home let himself in and then realised the furniture was different. He tracked them down via thier business address.

That is so funny!

This nearly happened to me though. When my wife visited her sister and family in the US in January I arranged to buy some stuff and have it delivered. Trouble was they have moved early last year. Never told us even when I was planning to visit when over there for work in September. My trip got cancelled at the last minute but otherwise I would have been knocking on the door of their old place!

I think you alluded to this a while ago Mark.
It's got to be difficult working out a price for it all though.
Unless you are a boring _accountant that is.

Yes I have thought of it before but committed to it now. Even if these negotiations don't produce fruit I will sell the stuff off

$2.01 :)

Surely there is a reasonable option for these to end up as a display and not be separated ?
Otherwise, what's the point of all the effort you've gone into building this collection ?

No, not of interest to anybody except us collectors!

I hope Mrs 1966 is selling 1/2 her shoe collection too?