Do you regularly shave with a straight razor (that includes a shavette type)?

Do you regularly shave with a straight razor (this includes a shavette type)?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 67.7%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I have a Feather AC SS, one very nice Ralf Aust 6/8, and 2 other 2nd hand straights (a Gotta wedge and a Wade & Butcher). I dabbled a little with SR shaves 6-7 years ago but didn’t persist long. Struggled s little but didn’t try long enough. Would love to try it again - may do over the holiday period. I found it difficult using my left hand but I’m sure it’s just practice and patience.

I SR shave with only my left hand. It's not a problem in the slightest. You only lose sight of the blade for an instant in the mirror on the opposite ear. If you don't know where your ear is by now, you have bigger problems 😁

Looking to become part of the SR crew in 2022. Just wondering whether it’s good practice to learn to use both hands for each side of the face, or stick to one hand for beginners.

Looking to become part of the SR crew in 2022. Just wondering whether it’s good practice to learn to use both hands for each side of the face, or stick to one hand for beginners.
It's probably worth a try to learn using both hands. Some say that it gives them more angle options when SR shaving.

I shave just with my dominant hand and now have no difficulty with SR shaving.

There really is no right or wrong, the idea with SR shaving is to be totally comfortable and relaxed about what you doing. If only using your dominant hand is what you prefer then that's the right way for you.

I have used my Feather AC DX a lot. Usually just with my dominant hand. It gives an excellent shave, particularly with my favourite pro super blades.

The problem has been when I’m in a rush to get to work and am still a bit groggy etc. It’s a tool that requires concentration if going against the grain, which I feel I have to do on my face to get the best shave. So a full 3 pass shave becomes longer and arguably more stressful on a busy day.

As most of my shaves are time restricted these days, this tool has been left in the cupboard more and more. I may end up selling it.

Having said that, it would be my favourite razor if WTG or XTG shaving would suffice. IMO it is quite safe and easy in those applications (although XTG can get tricky with the angles on my face) and nothing gives a closer / smoother WTG shave in my experience. It’s just that my beard is too thick for me to be satisfied with that.

BTW, if you want to shave a beard off in one quick pass, this thing is simply amazing! Like a razor through melted butter, you can hardly feel it happening, although you can certainly see it…. beards are just too itchy for me.

That's why I've always shaved before bed. Even when I was in the military and not getting to sleep until late at night or early hours of the morning. I always took the time before bed to shave.

I would love to but my 5 o’clock shadow is already bad enough when I shave in the morning!

SR shaving is a whole new rabbit hole that I fell into at the beginning of last year. I haven't used a DE razor for a couple of months now and just exclusively straight razor shave. Not saying I won't use my DE's in the future but happy with my straights.

To those thinking about giving it a go - all I can say is JFDI !! You just need a razor that is sharp enough - it's hard when starting out, to really gauge what that means, but if it's not sharp enough it won't do the job properly. And there is a lot of stuff out there that purports to be "shave ready" but really isn't. Stay clear of the really cheap Asian razors - most of them are just crap or RSO's. Gold Dollars can be made into decent shavers, but they need a bit of work to get to that stage.

I usually get more blood from my DE shaves, than with a straight. A couple of posters mentioned learning with both hands. Yes, definitely, learn with both the left and right hands, it will pay dividends later on. If you watch a few Ewe-Tube videos you will get the idea of how it works.

Then there is the honing side of things, a whole new rabbit hole!

remember, JFDI

cheers
Andrew

SR shaving is a whole new rabbit hole that I fell into at the beginning of last year. I haven't used a DE razor for a couple of months now and just exclusively straight razor shave. Not saying I won't use my DE's in the future but happy with my straights.

To those thinking about giving it a go - all I can say is JFDI !! You just need a razor that is sharp enough - it's hard when starting out, to really gauge what that means, but if it's not sharp enough it won't do the job properly. And there is a lot of stuff out there that purports to be "shave ready" but really isn't. Stay clear of the really cheap Asian razors - most of them are just crap or RSO's. Gold Dollars can be made into decent shavers, but they need a bit of work to get to that stage.
Most of the Gold Dollar SR's can be honed to shave-ready. There are also the Titan SR's from Taiwan (with Japanese steel blades) that are also good. The Titan SR's are not as cheap as the Gold Dollar's but their quality is higher. Both brands are available on AliExpress and other sites for higher prices.

Out of over 60 new SR's, I have found none to be supplied truly shave-ready. That includes new SR's from Europe. Some are supplied sharp and will shave - kind of, but I wouldn't class them as truly shave-ready.