Don't Waste Your Time Even Thinking About Getting Into Straight Razor Shaving!

rbscebu

Atherton Tablelands, Queensland, Australia
So, you have been thinking about trying out this SR shaving thing. Let me tell you, you are a fool for doing so. Here is why:
  • It is the most dangerous way to shave. The population was much less when only SRs were available to shave with. The reason should be obvious.
  • It takes what seems like forever to perform just a single pass in SR shaving.
  • Almost no one has been able to fully master SR shaving, so it's a waste of time even trying.
  • SRs can cost more to buy than most other wet-shaving razors. Then there is the added expense of blade maintenance.
  • Edge maintenance adds time and/or cost to your overall shaving routine.
  • SRs are bad for the environment. Think of all the energy wasted in heat treating the steel and the plastic used in a lot of the scales (handles). Then there is the air pollution from the very fine dust generated from honing.
  • It can become an addictive habit, just like illicit drugs.
  • Probably none of your friends SR shave so you will be ostracized from them and most of society.
Hopefully you have now seen the light and the cost of SRs will soon return to normal.

So, you have been thinking about trying out this SR shaving thing. Let me tell you, you are a fool for doing so. Here is why:
  • It is the most dangerous way to shave. The population was much less when only SRs were available to shave with. The reason should be obvious.
  • Almost no one has been able to fully master SR shaving, so it's a waste of time even trying.
  • SRs can cost more to buy than most other wet-shaving razors. Then there is the added expense of blade maintenance.
  • SRs are bad for the environment. Think of all the energy wasted in heat treating the steel and the plastic used in a lot of the scales (handles). Then there is the air pollution from the very fine dust generated from honing.
  • Probably none of your friends SR shave so you will be ostracized from them and most of society.
Hopefully you have now seen the light and the cost of SRs will soon return to normal.

No Thanks

To be honest I wouldn't mind trying out SR shaving just as a side hobby. It won't replace my DE shaving, but seems like it's a passage to mastering the final piece of shaving like men did many many moons ago.

The only thing that has kept me from trying is the price and maintenance.

I have a shavette that I use from time to time and that's hard enough as it is :)

It's also very deflating when, here you are looking at yourself in the mirror, thinking how cool you look using a straight razor. Then your wife/girlfriend walks in and says "My Grandfather used one of those too".

It's also very deflating when, here you are looking at yourself in the mirror, thinking how cool you look using a straight razor. Then your wife/girlfriend walks in and says "My Grandfather used one of those too".

haha, when the mates or others hear that I shave with a DE razor, it almost always piques their interest. "I remember my grandfather shaving with one of them, how do you do it? where do you find the stuff"..

You'd be surprised on how many people have nostalgia tied to shaving with a DE.

As for the Mrs, when I started DE shaving, she laughed at how much I used to slice myself up to now requesting a specific soap or splash for me to use on the nightly shave.

The one thing that always sells it is:

Them: How do you even find the time

Me: Imagine having 15 mins to yourself where you can just zone out and relax.

Me: Imagine having 15 mins to yourself where you can just zone out and relax.

That's what I love about shaving with a straight razor.

I'm ex Navy. At sea, shaving for me was a rush job you did of an evening when you had 5 minutes between jobs or late at night just before you hit the bunk. After I left, I got back into DE shaving which I gave up for the convenience of disposables. Learning to shave with a straight razor was an absolute joy for me because it forced me to slow down and take my time as there is no rush.

learning to shave with a straight razor was an absolute joy for me because it forced me to slow down and take my time as there is no rush.

Spot on, this is why I wouldn't mind tinkering with SR's just not yet.

I'm scared I'm going to eventually blunt the blade and then I'll have no idea on how to sharpen and hone.

I've seen all the tutorials and equipment needed, it's a fair bit of work and patience needed.

I'm 38, they say patience comes with age.. it's been the opposite!

Watch some youtube diy. Its how I learnt and really is not that hard. Some have a little trouble switching hands which I didnt know was a thing. As for sharpening you can get away with a pasted balsa and strop, if it comes ready to use for quite some time while you work your way up to honing and even then you could ask about for a hand until you want to do that yourself. I primarily use a straight because I prefer it and have less nicks than when I use a DE but thats probably down to the fact I default back to a DE when in a real hurry.

For me straight razor shaving is still the ultimate shave but I still enjoy my collection of DE's and SE's. I consistently do less damage to my skin with straights so sometimes if I've been using DE's or SE's I'll use a straight for a day or two to give my skin a rest.
I find the longevity of the shave better with straights.
Yes there is associated inconvenience with straights - the shave may take a little longer but it's more the stropping and honing that it's sometimes difficult to find time for.
It is nice to have something useful that contradicts our throwaway disposable society. Quite a few of my vintage straights are far older than me.

My first passion in wet shaving is the straight razor, for many reasons. I hear you when you talk about pricing. However, with DE and SE razors becoming so popular, and now some of their pricing utterly ridiculous, my hope of straight razors returning to a lower pricing is questionable. I was fortunate to have purchased some excellent custom straight razors when they were still expensive, but rationally priced for the time. Many of the straight razor craftsmen in the US are no longer making razors or are so booked-up with existing orders that they no longer offer any for sale.

I would rather cut off my testicles, because, I don’t have the patience towards straight razor shaving, and maintaining a good edge on the blade when honing and stropping the bloody straight shit.
I can understand your feelings, except for the testicles bit. SR shaving adds about 3 to 5 minutes to my shaving routine when compared to the time required for a good DE shave.

Unfortunately I am now addicted to SR shaving and I know of no rehab for such addiction.

Just don't be like @SpeedyPC. He doesn't have patience. This is probably also his problem with sex.
giphy.gif