Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
You may have seen this WSJ article elsewhere but in case you haven't - http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-cut...oser-than-this-elite-shaving-squad-1460323470

In case you cannot see it behind the paywall -

For Cutting-Edge Analysis, Few Come Closer Than This Elite Shaving Squad
Shaving testers stay sharp; rating tugging and ‘blade feel.’
BN-NL833_0408sh_J_20160408143706.jpg

Paris Paquette, left, and Mike Gaudette do a test shave at the Gillette research facility in Andover, Mass. Photo: Damian Strohmeyer for The Wall Street Journal
By
Paul Ziobro
April 10, 2016 5:24 p.m. ET

ANDOVER, Mass.—Paris Paquette enters a brightly lighted room in a suburban industrial park here and gathers a yellow plastic basket with his assigned tools, as he has done most every weekday for the past six years.

He walks up to one of 20 stations and taps a code into a tablet affixed next to his usual spot. Then he begins a precisely choreographed ritual.

He shaves.

Every step—creating the lather, the number of strokes, the amount of pressure applied—is predetermined for Mr. Paquette and the other men in the room. Their task: Assess 45 attributes of the shaving experience, rating some more obvious ones like tugging and redness, to more obscure ones like “blade feel” and noise.

What once seemed like an overwhelming procedure is now a habit. “I’m programmed,” says Mr. Paquette, a 41-year-old who supervises a pharmaceutical lab when he isn’t moonlighting as a lab specimen. The routine “is part of me now.” One thing he has learned: He doesn’t need shaving cream for a close shave.

Mr. Paquette is one of a dozen members of Gillette’s elite squad of shave testers, the Descriptive Analysis Panel. The panelists—at Gillette, they are simply called “The Guys”—have each completed six months of training aimed at transforming them from men who mindlessly complete a mundane task into “analytical instruments” who detect the smallest variations in shaving tools.

Their work is top secret. The input helps Gillette’s scientists hone the razors it sells to three-quarters of a billion men world-wide, helping optimize coatings on blades and lubrication strips on cartridges. It takes years of testing before innovations like Fusion ProShield Chill Razor Blades can appear in stores with proclamations such as “less tug” and “cooling technology.”

HC-GU357_Kelly_G_20160410160520.jpg

Brian Kelly
Rival Schick also has a team of shaving pros. Testers for other companies adjust the sweetness of sodas and intensity of perfumes. Food scientists use them to study whether “juiciness” can enhance the “salty perception of meat products.” There are panels devoted to smelling soiled cat litter, diaper pails and armpits.

Gillette formed its current shaving panel in 2010, though it includes three veterans from a previous group who have been at it for 16 years.

Mike Gaudette, a 43-year-old accounting manager, joined the panel six years ago after his sister-in-law pointed out a job listing for a shave tester. “I shave every day anyways,” he says, noting that his facial hair comes in quickly. “I get a five o’clock shadow at noon.”

What started as a way to make extra cash has changed him for the better, making him more attuned to what is going on when he drags a razor across his face. “Before, I used to be all over the place when shaving,” he says. “I have much more of an awareness now.”

Friends and family have a familiar reaction to his part-time gig. “First, it’s disbelief,” he says. The next question: “Can I get some free razors?”

While money is often an initial draw—they get $50 a shave—some also find the work challenging and interesting, since they are there to sometimes assess microscopic differences in products. “I consider it to be the best job I’ve ever had,” Mr. Paquette says.

Most testers get up before dawn to hit the testing facility for their shave before their day jobs. The toughest part, panelists say, is retraining themselves to be attentive to several dozen attributes they never thought about before. “We basically had to relearn how to shave in a protocol,” says Mr. Gaudette, who started with an electric razor in high school before moving on to blades.

Gillette, a Procter & Gamble Co. division, created the current panel by winnowing a pool of some 200 applicants. A visual screening eliminates guys with slow-growing beards or swirls in their stubble. To make the cut, candidates must pass sensory tests that gauge vision, touch and ability to detect subtle differences. One test involves inserting a hand in a box with three sanding blocks and identifying which is different.

BN-NL831_0408sh_M_20160408143705.jpg

BN-NL832_0408sh_M_20160408143706.jpg

BN-NL834_0408sh_M_20160408143706.jpg

Mike Gaudette, a participant in the Gillette Descriptive Analysis Panel does a test shave at the Gillette research facility in Andover, Massachusetts. Photos: Damian Strohmeyer for the Wall Street Journal
Panelists agree to devote at least an hour each morning to the process, four days a week. They are kept on the panel for years to keep data standardized. They must relearn how to shave in an “unnatural, but clinical” way. Most important, they must have the discipline to repeat the same steps, over and over.

“If you’re OCD, you’ll love this job,” says Beth Goodwin, who oversees the panel for Gillette. After being trained, she says, “there is no more normal.” She should know: She spent nine years as a tester for Gillette, coming in four days a week to shave her legs and underarms.

Brian Kelly, a 31-year-old credit analyst at a telecommunications firm who is on the panel, says it is hard to kick parts of the shaving routine he has been taught. “From a protocol standpoint, I catch myself doing it at home.”

Panelists rate each attribute on a scale of 1 to 15. Gillette wouldn’t disclose all the attributes tested, for proprietary reasons. Nicks aren’t penalized.

Inside the testing room, where observers watch the men shave, every aspect is controlled. The only variable from day to day should be two razors, identified by three-digit codes.

There is usually no shaving cream. Bar soap is preferred, as it helps isolate the performance of the razors. Gillette makes the guys use shaving creams or gels if they are testing a shaving “regimen.”

After a pre-wash, they hold the soap beneath a stream of water set between 95 and 105 degrees. After 10 seconds, they roll the bar 10 times between both palms. Then they gently rub their hands together in 10 circles forming a lather, applied in a sweeping swirl.

An average male takes about 170 strokes to shave, Gillette says. These human instruments get 17 strokes a side. A timer gives them a 10-minute pause to assess their work. They repeat the process on the other half of their faces using the second razor.

To stay sharp, most of the guys keep up the routine over weekends and occasional hiatuses around holidays. Dan Gordon, 41, a biopharmaceutical-firm technician, uses those breaks to try something new.

“I grow a goatee twice a year,” he says. “To change things up.”

SPREADSHEETS!
Someone post this over YKW ;)

Looks like a wet shaver hell; Shave every single day with a cart with untested new technologies! I'll be they have to use a particular can of goo too to keep that side of things constant.

They only get hand soap, unless the company is trailing a "procedure"

Awe gawd...

I'd love to know if Gillette honestly believe they have improved shaving with the multi-blade cart or know they are taking most of the population for a ride?

Awe gawd...

I'd love to know if Gillette honestly believe they have improved shaving with the multi-blade cart or know they are taking most of the population for a ride?
Define "improved"?

Whilst I agree with you totally, the population are ultimately the ones to blame. Consumers spend their money where they see fit. All business is able to do, is to provide products and services they think fill a need or want gap. I don't know what was seen in carts (maybe it's indoctrinated now), maybe it's their speed/ease or something else, however if the population shifted back to safety razors, Gillette would have to change their products. You either change with the times or get left behind (Kodak?).

Define "improved"?

Whilst I agree with you totally, the population are ultimately the ones to blame. Consumers spend their money where they see fit. All business is able to do, is to provide products and services they think fill a need or want gap. I don't know what was seen in carts (maybe it's indoctrinated now), maybe it's their speed/ease or something else, however if the population shifted back to safety razors, Gillette would have to change their products. You either change with the times or get left behind (Kodak?).

Sure. Marketing will tell you any product must be constantly re-invented or else it is forgotten and passed over for the new thing. This is why we see Coke variations on a regular basis. So Gillette have to push for something new to pedal to stay on top of the pile and consumers want something "new and improved" so Gillette is happy to provide. I get all that. I just wonder if the board at Gillette are blinded by their own BS and actually believe shaving is better than last year, last decade, or even 50 years ago with each new cart, or they know they are just pandering to a market. It would be interesting to know what the board of Gillette use to shave with every day....

It would be interesting to know what the board of Gillette use to shave with every day

I'll bet you some of the board of management are still shaving with their grandfathers old style Gillette safety razor, and that doesn't mean they won't go back to the old way because they don't bloody care because their only thinking about the most important thing in this world today is
b0207.gif
and nothing else matter.

why we see Coke variations on a regular basis

Make sure you try Coke with Ginger!

board at Gillette are blinded by their own BS and actually believe shaving is better than last year, last decade, or even 50 years ago with each new cart

They would measure better based on profits :) Obviously they still manufacture safety razor gear and sell product in that category. So think it may be pandering to the market, as they certainly give European countries their safety razor gear.

How many people have you converted to shaving with a safety razor (not trying to be a smart arse, but seriously)? I've only been able to convert one so far, and that has been a work in progress for a while. If they did release safety razor gear to Australia, how do you think it would be received? They would need to rationalise their range in the major chains to make space for new sku's, then spend money on marketing to change they way the general population view shaving (as a chore) and give them a reason to change, then produce a profitable model where cost per shave (for razors) drops from (I dunno, what $20/4 carts now lasting a week each?) $0.57/shave down to $0.06

None. But then I don't have a very large sphere of influence. Besides that, most people are sheep, stuck in their ways and just do what they always have done. Change is hard, and sheeple do not like it for better or for worse. New ideas, even if they are actually very old ideas, are hard to sell.

You make good point. I am being too harsh on the ol Gillette. The cart came out and folks took it on. It sold better than the DE (in western markets at least) and so on it went and continues to go today. Consumers don't want anything different. They are happy where they are so why try and change them. Just given them what they want. Maybe there is no way back.

That shaving lab looks like a hell for wet shavers!
I think the only reason people would drops carts is for environmental reasons (so much plastic and cans of shaving goo) or objection to all the chemicals in the "lubricating chill strips" and canned goo.
Gillette never talks about making shaving "fun", interesting and enjoyable which is the main reason I love traditional wet shaving.

That shaving lab looks like a hell for wet shavers!
I think the only reason people would drops carts is for environmental reasons (so much plastic and cans of shaving goo) or objection to all the chemicals in the "lubricating chill strips" and canned goo.
Gillette never talks about making shaving "fun", interesting and enjoyable which is the main reason I love traditional wet shaving.

While on the subject of "lubricating strips", I believe them to be incorrectly situated. On either a downward or upward stroke it follows AFTER after the blades have performed their first cut. Should it not rightfully PRECEDE the blades (n)(n) ? Or is my logic "base over apex" ;) ?

While on the subject of "lubricating strips", I believe them to be incorrectly situated. On either a downward or upward stroke it follows AFTER after the blades have performed their first cut. Should it not rightfully PRECEDE the blades (n)(n) ? Or is my logic "base over apex" ;) ?
Never made any sense to me either...

If you put it before the blades, you are wiping off the shave cream (or handsoap!). Since you have "soap" there on the first pass you don't require the strip. The strip moisturises/lubricates after the blades ready for the next pass. Don't think of a pass as in WTG/ATG etc, but rather repeated up and down passes on a section until the area is void of beard. It is my experience that modern day cart users only apply shave soap once, but repeatedly pass the razor over their face regardless of the fact there is no soap and they have likely used a soap with no residual glide..

Just a thought exercise as to what their reasoning might be...

Thanks Sxot, I can see a logic in their thinking. Previously when I used carts and cream, I had to water the cream right down to about a 70/30% mix (water/cream) so the blade gaps would not become clogged. A subsequent rinse with cold water cleared the spaces.

I "saw the light" and now shave with either my EJ DE89 "Barley", Gillette flare-tip, Semogue brush and rotate every 3rd day between Arko, Palmolive (European) Boots shave sticks (y) .