Everything you need to know about shaving angles

Thanks speedy. After all these years this is still helpful to me. Also reassuring to some degree.

I was disappointed that he didn't mention using a different shave angle depending on whether the area you are shaving is WTG, XTG or ATG. Most SR shavers are aware of this. Perhaps it is something that "safety" razor shavers do not need to consider.

v6w85D2.png

Also while I don't follow the 14 stroke straight shaving technique yet, this diagram also captures where the faces angles change and you need to adjust the razor to maintain your angle.
I discovered through painful trial and error when starting wet shaving especially DE and WTG that I was not changing angle from jaw to neck and this was one of the major causes of irritation, razor burn and nicks.
Being cautious and naturally more careful of your blade angle with a straight tends to avoid this problem.

v6w85D2.png

Also while I don't follow the 14 stroke straight shaving technique yet, this diagram also captures where the faces angles change and you need to adjust the razor to maintain your angle.
I discovered through painful trial and error when starting wet shaving especially DE and WTG that I was not changing angle from jaw to neck and this was one of the major causes of irritation, razor burn and nicks.
Being cautious and naturally more careful of your blade angle with a straight tends to avoid this problem.
Great post.(y)