Fakerubies - Also from China, but only with annoyance.

Monsta_AU

...can I interest you in some vintage blades?
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Grand Society
The genuine blades have arrived! Lets have a closer look.

The verdict: it's official. The idiotdoc-supplied Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades are most assuredly fake, counterfeit and non-genuine.

I would like to thank David Mendoza a.k.a. iamdarkangel2005 from proud shaving vendor Razorbladesandmore.com for stocking genuine product. He has been able to supply me a tuck of 100 Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus blades to compare the blades supplied by idiotdoc. They were paid for by me - not free/PIF of any kind - and arrived today in less than 2 weeks from California to a day west of Sydney.

The packaging is very detailed and an extremely good copy. As a former graphic artist and pre-production print press operator, I have 10 years experience in a number of areas including Imagesetters and platesetters, shooting bromides, production of printing plates from film, plus digital workflows, automated ink trapping. I would rate these 90% correct from a graphic design point of view however it is the small touches and print quality control that let them down. The printing is also very good but does not match the quality of the genuine packaging, and the cardboard that the box is constructed from lets it down.

Fake_Rubie_Barcode.png

The first and easiest way to spot the deficiency in the packaging and thus identify them as counterfeit is in the font of the barcode number. The fakes appear to have used Helvetica Condensed Light for the font, instead of the much more common OCR-B font that you will see on any real barcode numbering. This in fact is more likely to be a system error, with the platesetter/imagesetter that the plates or film was produced on did not have the same font on its systems. This could be a different font version revision, or possibly the artwork was done with a Truetype (TTF) font while the font installed on the production equipment was more likely Type1 or OpenType. This will drop back to a default font, usually Courier New Light, however this can be configured to something less obvious like Arial/Helvetica/Swiss721 style.

As you can see the print copying is very good otherwise, the text is not as crisp though. It appears they have been too heavy on the inking setting on the press. This is especially evident on the address text where the fake looks heavily-inked and kind of smudgy - the edges are not as sharp.

Fake_Rubie_Front.png

The second main deficiency is the real packs have cellophane wrapping of the box, whereas the fakes do not. Because of this, and the lower quality cardboard they are made from, the boxes appear damaged and tend to break along the box edges.

This is exactly how the Fakedidium boxes acted also, the outside surface cracked along the creasewheels on the press, and then when bent into shape then the cardboard surface cracks and peels away a little (for example of the left side of the top edge of the fake).

You can also see the difference in print quality in the above shot.

Fake_Rubie_Star.png

Also on the front, you can see the bad registration between the Red print and the Silver print. You will notice that the edges of the star are soft on the genuine (printing term is 'screened', or where you fade it and the print method is to turn it into ever decreasing in size dots), while the edges are hard on the fakes. The fakes are also missing the small white highlights in the star.

The third easy way to tell if you have fakes is that they are supplied as loose boxes and usually in a plastic zip-loc sandwich bag, while the genuine blades are distributed on a fold-up cardboard tuck, just like the Gillette Dark Platinums, Voskhods, Ladas, Lord Platinums, Mexican Red Personnas, etc etc etc.

I hope this helps the shaving community. A complete comparison and review between these blades will be posted at Paste & Cut in the near future, I am awaiting my microscope to be delivered so we can compare the steel, grind and hone between the fake and the genuine Rubies.

From what I remember of the Fakerubies, they were extremely sharp but very rough. They are certainly not the same blades as packaged in the Fakeidiums at all.

While you can shave with them, they aren't pleasant at all and did rape my face quite a bit. Many stings from the Alum block, however no cuts. Just a very raw sensation.

The fakes weren't too bad. From memory I agree, not too smooth, but didn't give me any problems. Not a blade I'd buy. If the genuwine ones are far superior, they may be very good.

I found the Rapira SS actually worse than the Gillette fakes. Average shave with no ill effects, but AS burn from hell afterwards. The Rapira plats were dull and raspy. I switched that one mid shave as I didn't trust it to do my neck without scraping.

I must say, all this dabbling in blades leads me to experience just a lot of mediocre and homgenised products. Astras, Feathers, Reds and the other well known brands sell big for a reason. Plus you can actually discern real differences between then, instead of different shades of average.

I wouldn't mind trying Iridiums, but if you can't get hold of them easily, or at all, it's hardly worth it.

Last edited:
I found the Rapira SS actually worse than the Gillette fakes. Average shave with no ill effects, but AS burn from hell afterwards. The Rapira plats were dull and raspy. I switched that one mid shave as I didn't trust it to do my neck without scraping.

I must say, all this dabbling in blades leads me to experience just a lot of mediocre and homgenised products. Astras, Feathers, Reds and the other well known brands sell big for a reason.

You know, this is why I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of blades I have - I'm trying all of these blades, and props to you guys for your samplers and words of advice most definitely - but it does lead me to wonder if I am just better off sticking to the one blade I have found works a treat and not trying new ones.

I like the whole bourgeois approach of sampling and discerning between blades but it feels like its becoming a lot of faffing around to discover that with the equipment I am using the blades are average.

Does that make sense?

You know, this is why I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of blades I have - I'm trying all of these blades, and props to you guys for your samplers and words of advice most definitely - but it does lead me to wonder if I am just better off sticking to the one blade I have found works a treat and not trying new ones.

I like the whole bourgeois approach of sampling and discerning between blades but it feels like its becoming a lot of faffing around to discover that with the equipment I am using the blades are average.

Does that make sense?

Absolutely. I'm only dabbling because of monsta's generous freebies. Since I settled early on Astra and Reds, and a couple of workaday brands, I've not come across anything that does the job as well/consistently as my old go to's.

Diminishing returns, Jug. There's always a chance a great blade is out there, if you keep dabbling, but I really think someone would already be selling a shedload of them if there were, and we'd already know about them, or have tried them.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely respect you guys and your advice, and I clearly need little to no encouragement to buy more gear.

I think now I am going to explore more brushes and creams and just chill with my 86 razor, as the Feather knock-off was disappointing. I know, for $15 what could I really have expected, right?

(Plus I am due for a new PC so need to save for that)

Last edited: