Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Thanks for @stillshunter for the (generous) sample of this to try (y)

The company's website here - http://www.fineaccoutrements.com/Fine-Classic-Shaving-Soap-p/css.htm

Available locally from The Stray Whisker:
Soap - http://thestraywhisker.com.au/fine-accoutrements-classic-shaving-soap-platinum/
Aftershave - http://thestraywhisker.com.au/fine-classic-after-shave-platinum/

Ingredients:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Water, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Fragrance, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerine, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide.

The scent is taken from the matching aftershave, described as -

"Platinum" is perhaps best described simply as the smell of success, and there’s nothing better on the day of the big meeting.

Inspired by Creed Aventus (2010), the scent complements a spicy pineapple top note with a smokey oakmoss basenote, to create a fragrance that has quickly become a modern classic.

The review will follow my standard format borrowed from @silver :)

CSS-6T.jpg

Packaging
The soap comes as a puck. Nothing more, nothing less. So you will need a container for it. No problem for me, I have a few good containers I've kept just in case, not sure how the puck will fit though as I don't have a full one. TSW also sells containers separately. Not sure whether I will mark down for the 'lack' of packaging though - you should know what you will be getting.

The labelling and styling of their products is very 'classic' and retro inspired to my eye. A consistent style across their range gives a strong sense of branding.

Scent
Yeah, not a strong scent to me, in fact I could barely notice it. Lathering brought it out more but it remained fairly innocuous. I've not smelt Creed Aventus to compare. Not offensive like some scents but not gripping either, 'mostly harmless' one could say.

Latherability
Easy enough to lather once you get loaded it produces an ample supply for a three pass shave. Lather is rich but not generous (could be by product of being a sample).

Shave Performance
This is a good soap with ample slickness and glide and a reasonable level of protection. Certainly a good formula with that tallow base. The soap is made in the Netherlands and reflects the soap making heritage of that country.

Post shave feel
My face feels fine post shave, clean and nourished with a fresh feel.

Conclusion
The last soap I reviewed I think was the Klars. This is not Klars. It is a good soap for sure, but for me not a great soap.

In my thinking this soap rates alongside the Reef Point. There is the problem though. I rated the Reef Point as top shelf - but not one I would buy necessarily. Maybe I need to create a second shelf before I get to 'the rest'. Alternatively I might need to scale down the RP!

My shaving soap hypothesis. It is that there will be some soaps that are 'top shelf' and some that are 'second tier'. I would on the use to date rank this is a 'second tier' soap. My guess is that between the top shelf soaps differences are likely to be impacted by other factors, including user error. So I would happily recommend all my 'top shelf' soaps to others on the basis that personal 'rankings' might vary a little.

'Second tier' soaps are good and I would not avoid them or recommend against buying them. Scents and other personal factors may make them more desirable for you and indeed your experience in use may be different as well.

Fine Accoutrements Classic Shaving Soap has a very similar performance as Tabac, however Tabac perform much higher than Fine Accoutrements Classic Shaving Soap there has been heaps of topic about Fine Accoutrements Classic Shaving Soap vs Tabac outside of P&C.

Nice review Mark!

So Fine soaps are essentially tallow/stearic base with fragrance?...no skin loving goodies at all?

Im a sucker for Creed Aventus, although I haven't had a chance to save up enough to buy myself one yet (I keep buying soap!) its definitely on the horizon. Also really really love the scent of Silver Mountain Water by Creed too.

Anyone know of any shave soaps that try to emulate these scents?

Im a sucker for Creed Aventus, although I haven't had a chance to save up enough to buy myself one yet (I keep buying soap!) its definitely on the horizon. Also really really love the scent of Silver Mountain Water by Creed too.

Anyone know of any shave soaps that try to emulate these scents?

Creed Aventus scent-inspired soaps
Stirling Soap Company "Executive Man"
Shaving Shop "Success" (Shavingshoponline.com)
RazoRock "The Freedberg"
KnockOut Shave "Silver" [Discontinued]

Creed Silver Mountain Water scent-inspired soaps
Wet Shaving Products "Matterhorn"
Country Club "Aspen"
KnockOut Shave "Smoky" [Discontinued]

RazoRock "The Freedberg"

Country Club "Aspen"
Executive man smells amazing.

RazoRock "The Freedberg"

Country Club "Aspen"
Should we add Creed Green Irish Tweed scent-inspired soaps as well?
Stirling Soap Company "Sharp Dressed Man"
Mystic Water "Irish Traveller"
anything else?

Should we add Creed Green Irish Tweed scent-inspired soaps as well?
Stirling Soap Company "Sharp Dressed Man"
Mystic Water "Irish Traveller"
anything else?

Catie's Bubbles "Celtic Knot"
Wet Shaving Products "Gaelic Tweed"
RazoRock "Tight Buns"