Review Fine Superlite Slant

nsavage

nerroneous at best.
Challenge accepted @stillshunter.....

I have owned the Fine Superlite for some time now and I have given it several solid week long runs in that time. I initially became interested in it due to the wonderful experience I had with the Merkur 45c Bakelite which was included in the last P&C travelling box. I asked @stillshunter if he would share a review of the razor as he also has one and he asked me where my review was so I grabbed the razor for the first time in a while today, loaded it up with a fresh Swedish Supersteel blade and took it for a spin.....

The razor is exceptionally light as it is completely made of ABS plastic save the threads on the handle and top cap. The handle is relatively short with more than ample grip. In the hand the razor is evenly balanced. The razor really does torque and slant the blade a lot. There is a lot of curvature in the top cap. The cap clamps down the blade very securely and there is no chatter of blade flex when shaving. There is also a significant amount of blade exposure and a reasonable blade gap. The razor is modelled after the bakelite slant razor which many were raving about some years back, the same razor that razors such as the Stealth Slant and the PAA bakelite slant were modelled after. In the case of the Fine Superlite the base plate has been slimmed down and refined somewhat from the bakelite version.

The razor is amazingly intuitive in terms of angle. Using very little pressure the razor is extremely comfortable on the face although you can certainly feel the blade somewhat during the shave. For me I find that it is very easy to apply no pressure with the razor but I understand that for some others it is not quite so intuitive and there is a tendency to want to add pressure. From previous use I have found that you definitely want to use a fresh, sharp blade in the razor and I tend to find that I discard the blade 1 or 2 shaves sooner than in a heavier more conventional razor. I believe this is due to the fact that the blade is definitely doing all of the work and is not assisted by the razor's weight in any way. I have also found that a really nice slick lather helps the razor get the job done.

I had forgotten just how well the razor performs. It easily and smoothly provided me with a BBS shave. I did find today that I required 3 passes plus a significant amount of touch up to achieve this but I feel that this is more so because I have not used it for a while. The big kicker though is had I done as much touching up with many of my other razors as I did this morning I would have heard all about it from the alum. This morning though there was no protest to speak of however just a nice smooth irritation free result. Almost 11 hours later and I am fully aware of just how close the shave was. Still smoother than a quick 2 pass shave from most razors and could definitely get away with a night out without any further work needed.

All in all I find the razor to be an excellent choice. Probably not great for a beginner or a relatively new shaver wanting to explore slant razors but definitely no problem for someone with good technique. If you are someone who feels that they have good technique and a light touch this is definitely a razor to consider trying.

@stillshunter you are up mate.....

Ive had my first shave with one of these earlier this week thanks to a trial from @tullfan.

I loaded it up with a polsilver and would have to say that it was the closest shave i have ever had after a 2 pass with no touch up, I was completely bbs without even going against the grain. Was literally running my hand against the grain of my face for the next hour as i could not believe it.
It was a bit scary as you can feel 1 mistake or any added pressure will end in a blood bath. But i managed to get away un injured.
Definitely not a aesthetically pleasing razor but i will have no hesitation from buying one!

I had to wait 2 days after using to test my new ikon out as i didn't have enough growth (and i have a heavy beard). But in comparison the ikon felt like a toy - all be it a bigger heavier sexier toy.
interested to know @stillshunter experience