First post

possumbelly

[No giant lemons here]
Hey guys. Been lurking for some time. Usually at Shave Nook and other forums but have now made my debut here. Cheers
John (possumbelly)

Welcome mate

So what gear do you have? How long into this thing?

Hi Mark - thanks for the welcome. In the short space of about 18 months I've accumulated several DEs and SEs (25 in total), brushes (15), soaps, creams, balms and ASs (more than I can use in a decade), and a few scuttles, bowls and Old Spice mugs. The shaving bug hits hard. Recently even bought a couple of old straights and a strop that I'm dabbling with now. It's been a great journey of discovery.

I've seen some of your collection on other forums and it's very impressive. Mine pales in comparison. I suppose I'm a user rather than a collector. I do however, hope to hand down some nice things to my 3 sons when they get a little older (if they're interested).

I'm definitely partial to aggressive razors - R41, OCMM, Gillette Old, Fatip, Slant - but find my Merkur 34c HD my most trusted. Also prefer boars to badgers. Several Omegas are my favourites.

Great to see an Australia forum. I see the traffic has been gradually increasing in recent months. I'll keep dropping in now that I've taken the plunge.

Cheers

Still can't seem to post to the other thread : "insufficient privileges" it says. I'm sure it will sort itself out in time.

Hi mate

Should be fixed. But use of smileys and the G word does tend to make the privileges get used up quickly.

For a moment there I thought you had something against Gillette's. Have never used those in a post ever. Should be easy.

Hello and welcome possumbelly (that's way too long so it's PB from now on!). Which SEs aside from the OCMM do you use? Traffic has picked up here a lot recently. Good stuff. Do not pay any attention to @Drubbing , I know him, he's an absolute, truly gentlemanly, gentleman of a gent. Also, I suspect he has this secret little room in his house where he furiously draws smileys on the walls. You can decry his famed fickleness for razors and brushes, pour shit on his favorite soap, call the Foo Fighters a glorified boys band or Dave Grohl a tosser and you get no or little response, but post a smiley and he crawls out of the woodwork foaming at the mouth.

Last edited:
I concur, he is quite genteel in nautre hey :)

AHHHH, PB you clearly have some AD tendencies - my kinda person.

The rest of the blokes here don't buy half enough stuff IMHO

Pjotr, re SEs:
OCMM - my favourite by far. GEM 1912s - also good.
Schicks - too mild. I have an E and a G type.
Valet's - interesting. VC2 gives a good shave. VC3 too mild.

Re posting for the MODs. Still having trouble. On computer or through Tapatalk I get a "post error" on other threads including the valet one. See attached photo. Also can't seem to upload an avatar picture.
mamuvyqu.jpg

AHHHH, PB you clearly have some AD tendencies - my kinda person.

The rest of the blokes here don't buy half enough of my stuff IMHO
FTFY :)

Pjotr, re SEs:
OCMM - my favourite by far. GEM 1912s - also good.
Schicks - too mild. I have an E and a G type.
Valet's - interesting. VC2 gives a good shave. VC3 too mild.......

I tend to favour the milder SEs such as the Featherweight and Bullet Tip. Although I do also use a Streamline (after taking the edge off a new blade with a Featherweight. I'm not that brave) which is considered a bit more aggressive. The OCMM scared me stupid. I gave it to @Mark1966 in the vain hope of putting him off wet shaving and his then rampant razor collecting spree. It was an altruistic gesture really but failed miserably as he quite liked it and subsequently spent the equivalent of the annual budget of a fair sized third world country on razors.

.....Re posting for the MODs. Still having trouble. On computer or through Tapatalk I get a "post error" on other threads including the valet one. See attached photo. Also can't seem to upload an avatar picture.

As I am a moderator for this section I should know about why you're having probs with this but I don't. @Monsta_AU , is it a post count thing to deter potential shilling?

It's the built in moderation for anything SE….

Something like that :sneaky:

It is automated based on various metrics. There is not just one 'post count' number that you have to reach before things get a bit easier. Obviously I am not going to tell the world what it all is, but generally it works well.

There has been a couple of changes since we swapped from vBulletin to XenForo as our back-end software, and things could be adjusted for sure. I would try not to load images from Tapatalk if at all possible, low post counts and links/images means it goes to the moderation queue.

Another issue I've discovered, is when typing upon an android phone in ff (not tapatalk) you get about a sentence into a post, then it starts writing gibberish, irrelevant what you do.
It appears that it repeats the last character from a point, yet in reverse. gnitartsurf
An example is as follows " iti.itisiti.fsitirfsitiurfsitisurfsititsurfsitirtsirfsitisrtsurfsititartsurfsiti... "
I usually get a full stop when hitting the space bar.
Only appears to happen upon this site by memory.

I've been watching since my mod failure and haven't noticed anything in the queue