Fresh Face From Coogee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noppy

Morning all

I am looking to venture into the world of wet shaving. Just starting out at the moment looking at the forums here for advice on what kit I should purchase as a beginner, so I thought I need to sign up and start asking some questions.

I was looking at the standard wet shaving kit on Menz Biz yesterday. Would I be better off picking up second hand pieces in the trading forum?

Got that itch to get started though :)

Buying second hand is the way to go I reckon. I don't think you can go too far wrong by picking up a vintage Gillette New or Gillette Tech. The problem is finding them though.

If you prefer a modern razor, I can sell you a flawless and essentially unused Mühle r89 for a great price and I'd chuck in some great blades too.

I highly recommend beginning with a synthetic brush. In my opinion, they out perform badgers, boar and horse brushes in every important metric.

HI @Noppy, Welcome to the forum. I purchased a Mensbiz starter kit when I started and was definitely happy. If you are keen to jump right in, I don't think you would be disappointed by going that route. If you are happy to wait a while spend some time here on the forums you will definitely pick up some bargains and I am sure some people would be more then willing to part ways with some of their older goods. Either way enjoy, take your time and you will be fine!

Welcome. Yes you will get some bargains on here, especially anyone wanting to offload the odd razor and brush.

We will be having a Sydney meet in the next few weeks, so make sure you keep an eye out for the thread.

Going to try and pick bits and pieces up off fellow forum members.

Got my eyes on some P&C Latha now :sneaky: just got to get my privileges.

I will try and check out the meet too Monsta if its on a suitable weekend.

Noppy, if you just want a basic setup I'm sure I or many others could find something for you.
Razors I have but don't use and would be willing to part with:
Black Handled Superspeed from around 1969-1971 (can't remember exact year, but think it is Q)
Flare tip superspeed
Edwin Jagger EJ89 Barley Chrome

I have around 100 modern blades too - many different types so you can work out what suits you

I also have a variety of soaps/creams that I'd be happy to throw in for you to get a taste with before you go buying expensive stuff.

That would only leave a brush, and aftershave to buy. I don't have many brushes, so the only one I could send your way (pif not charges) would be a cheapy horse hair brush - but you are more than welcome to turn your nose up at that for something others may have available. Aftershaves would probably be easier to buy online. I don't use balms, and Auspost don't like sending alcohol for some reason.

If you are interested in anything there let me know, and I'm sure we can work out a good price.

Got my eyes on some P&C Latha now :sneaky: just got to get my privileges.

Sorry, the last one is spoken for.... and it's B&M (aka @Barrister & Mann) who make it, we are just selling the remainder of a group buy.

We are looking at getting some Fine Synthetic brushes, and since you are in Sydney it's an easy pickup.

I will keep my eye on the brushes then.

Are there other online retailers here in Aus other than Menz Biz that I can look up and peruse their offerings?

Not really, most have been going out of business. We do have @Anthony from Shaver Heaven who makes soaps locally and is definitely worth ordering from.

There is another retailer coming soon, based in NSW with the probability of a walk-in store. Soon as it is completely public then you will know about it, or you can come to the meetups and possibly meet the man himself.

Thanks to Khun_diddy who has a razor and some sample blades in the post for me today. Thanks to all who offered razor as well.

I am just on the look out for a brush now. Not too fussed what it is just something to get me started and practicing asap.

I can PIF you a brush and other goodies. It'll get you up and running.

Welcome to P&C by the way. Great to have you poke your head in for a chat. Do stick around...

Welcome to the CARING club :D

Sorry, but I just got rid of all my extra brushes this weekend...

I would recommend a Plisson from L'Occitane, which is still on sale for 50AU$ - maybe there is a shop close to you or just order online.
http://au.loccitane.com/plisson-shaving-brush,23,1,39509,439432.htm

If your budget is tight, order an Omega S series synthetic brush (not the Syntex, just S) like this one from a member here @Gifts&Care.com in Spain:
http://www.giftsandcare.com/en/broc...1406-brocha-de-afeitar-sintex-omega-roja.html

shipping should be 5-6 EUR so the total for you would be well under 20AU$ - and you could sneak some blades, soaps, etc. into the order :D

Although I personally am (for aesthetic reasons) not a big fan of synthetic brushes - they are by far the easiest to handle brush type for beginners.

I have some cheeeeap synths on the way. No idea how good they are.

I have some cheeeeap synths on the way. No idea how good they are.

You should definitely test them before passing them on as somebody's first brush. Getting decent lather at the beginning can be hard enough as is...

I've a few brushes on offer.
Am awaiting another members decision upon them though, yet either way, there are some nice brushes to get you started.
Also Sydney located, so you're able to come and grab it off me if you like :)

Welcome to the club, @Noppy . Looks like things are getting off to a good start (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.