From a distant time zone: Pacific Grove CA USA---same ocean, though

Leisureguy

is old and rebellious
Famous Elsewhere
I was recently invited by a commenter on my blog to join this forum, and I'm happy to be here. I started shaving with a DE razor some decades ago---mid-1950s---and, having no idea how to do it, hated it. As soon as I got to college, I quit shaving, grew a beard, and kept it for 30 years or so.

I finally returned to shaving with the "modern" tools---cartridge razors and canned foam---and about a decade ago stumbled into the world of wetshaving. This time I had forums to help me learn, and I discovered that I enjoy shaving a lot.

Happy to be here.

Welcome, hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful.

One thing to note is, being Aussie based, things tend to be more relaxed here than most forums and reflect the general culture :)

I was recently invited by a commenter on my blog to join this forum, and I'm happy to be here. I started shaving with a DE razor some decades ago---mid-1950s---and, having no idea how to do it, hated it. As soon as I got to college, I quit shaving, grew a beard, and kept it for 30 years or so.

I finally returned to shaving with the "modern" tools---cartridge razors and canned foam---and about a decade ago stumbled into the world of wetshaving. This time I had forums to help me learn, and I discovered that I enjoy shaving a lot.

Happy to be here.
Hi and welcome LG. I'm kind of surprised that you decided to take up the offer of dropping by P&C. I hope you enjoy the discussions and light banter...
I'm sure you'll survive more than a week here. ;) @Monsta_AU is the Big Boss and there are a few others (but they don't do too much from what I've observed..JugV2 is clearly the best looking.). I think only one person has been banned but he's back now.

I'm curious to know out of all your "shaving tools", do you prefer modern (made in the last 10 years) or vintage? I also want to know if you've shaved with razor blades more than 10 years old...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not shaved with razor blades older than 10 years... wait, maybe I have: I have some Swedish Gillettes I bought some years back, and those may be old. They're in the metal dispensers and hard to get out because the oil is gummy and dried, but the edges are fine.

I do find I mostly pick up the newer razors, but I have several vintage razors of which I'm very fond: an Apollo Mikron, an Eclipse Red Ring, a fair number of Gillettes. I did get a Wolfman Razors WR1-SB (bar guard) that I like a lot: very comfortable and also very efficient.

I blog my SOTD. Today I used an Above the Tie R1 on the Atlas handle---at 3" it's somewhat shorter than I like (the Kronos at 3.5" is a more comfortable length, but I do like the knurling on the Atlas). I just recently discovered Shaver Heaven soap, which must be old hat to you, and I like it a lot. I'm also a big fan of Otoko Organics.

I'm perfectly happy being laid back. :)

I've not shaved with razor blades older than 10 years... wait, maybe I have: I have some Swedish Gillettes I bought some years back, and those may be old. They're in the metal dispensers and hard to get out because the oil is gummy and dried, but the edges are fine.

I do find I mostly pick up the newer razors, but I have several vintage razors of which I'm very fond: an Apollo Mikron, an Eclipse Red Ring, a fair number of Gillettes. I did get a Wolfman Razors WR1-SB (bar guard) that I like a lot: very comfortable and also very efficient.

I blog my SOTD. Today I used an Above the Tie R1 on the Atlas handle---at 3" it's somewhat shorter than I like (the Kronos at 3.5" is a more comfortable length, but I do like the knurling on the Atlas). I just recently discovered Shaver Heaven soap, which must be old hat to you, and I like it a lot. I'm also a big fan of Otoko Organics.

I'm perfectly happy being laid back. :)
Quite a few of the lads here like shaving with Vintage blades as you can get up to 20 shaves with some of the higher quality ones. They are well worth trying...

There's an Apollo Mikron on eBay currently but the shipping from Europe is a killer. @alfredus recently got a Wolfman razor - it looks absolutely stunning. Do you prefer the Wolfman over the ATT?

@Anthony makes Shaver Heaven and we do enjoy it!

Well, with the ATT you have the find the right baseplate. They seemed to be tuned to a narrow range. The R1 works great for me, but the M1 did not, and the R2 and H1 were both uncomfortable. (2=open comb, 1=bar guard). In the US, it's not a problem with ATT's 30-day guarantee, but shipping to and from Australia or New Zealand makes "trying out" different baseplates not so practical.

The Wolfman was great from the git-go, though I ordered a different knurling: this one.

I once got 15 shaves from a Treet carbon-steel blade. Now I don't/can't track how many shaves per blade since I have so many razors in rotation. I just use a blade until I don't like the shave, and then change it.

The knurling on that Wolfman handle looks similar to the Weber Wave and iKon bamboo. Although the extra "spikiness" and symmetry makes it look more distinct.

Wow, 15 shaves from a Treet. That's great considering the carbon blade would be more prone to corrosion. Did you clean it with alcohol or "strop" it (to clean it)?

Yeah, shipping down to us on this side of the planet is where we spend about 20% (at least!) of our purchase.

The handle I have doesn't have the same sort of curved indentations of the Weber Wave and iKon Bamboo: the indented parts are cut straight down. The pattern is very interesting: grippy and comfortable. Another interesting handle of a different style is the Stealth and Baby Smooth handles of the RazoRock razors from ItalianBarber.com. Initially they looked odd to me---indeed, I suggested he use fluted handles---but now that I've been using them, I really like them.

I rinse carbon-steel blades in 99% rubbing alcohol at the end of the shave, so they're stored dry.

The handle I have doesn't have the same sort of curved indentations of the Weber Wave and iKon Bamboo: the indented parts are cut straight down. The pattern is very interesting: grippy and comfortable. Another interesting handle of a different style is the Stealth and Baby Smooth handles of the RazoRock razors from ItalianBarber.com. Initially they looked odd to me---indeed, I suggested he use fluted handles---but now that I've been using them, I really like them.
It seems like the RRSS and RRBS use the same handles. I found that they are grippy, but not pleasant to the "feel" on my fingers. They seemed to cut into the fingertips. I'm sure that's just personal as I prefer the simple styles whilst others like grip.

I rinse carbon-steel blades in 99% rubbing alcohol at the end of the shave, so they're stored dry.
That's probably why they lasted so long. I've seen that Nick Shaves does that with his razor head after every shave (use rubbing alcohol). I imagine it would improve a stainless steel blade for another shave only. But would be a necessity for a carbon blade.

Welcome LG - great to have you here. Seems like we prefer very similar razors: I also have the ATT R1 with Kronos handle, I have never tried other base plates, but wouldn't mind trying out the H1 one day. But you are right - the Wolf (as I call it) was fantastic from the get go. I also have the SB, but with the WRH2 handle - both James and my wife decided, it goes perfectly with the razor - and I agree.

I also kept a RRSS V1, had a V2 and a DLC but let them go...the V1 is the smoothest IMO and the perfect razor when you are in a hurry. I was thinking a lot about buying RRBS as well, even had it in my cart (twice!) - but as it was released the same time I got my WR I really didn't have the urge to get it...

Do you also have the BBS-1? How does that compare to the Wolfman for you?

Welcome mate. Lovely to have you here.

I once got 15 shaves from a Treet carbon-steel blade.

Welcome @Leisureguy . It's good to meet another person who doesn't need platinum/titanium/unobtanium coated stainless blades to get a good shave. I stumbled upon the Treet Carbons recently and have been quite impressed with them. I even wrote a review here .

I must try the dipping in alcohol trick as I've tossed the blades after 3 shaves due to them looking rusty.

I'd be interested to see how long those treets last up here before they start oxidising naturally.
Are they at least wrapped when new?

Hello and welcome Leisureguy. It might be the same ocean for those poor sads on the East Coast but it's the mighty Indian Ocean here in Perth. I've heard your name mentioned but I can't recall in what context. It's no doubt shaving related.

Welcome @Leisureguy . It's good to meet another person who doesn't need platinum/titanium/unobtanium coated stainless blades to get a good shave. I stumbled upon the Treet Carbons recently and have been quite impressed with them. I even wrote a review here .

I must try the dipping in alcohol trick as I've tossed the blades after 3 shaves due to them looking rusty.

I doubt that does much at all, if anything. I also question whether they're actually carbon. Such blades were thicker and could be resharpened, and made way back when, before SS. Most blades will get rust staining on other parts, but some blades will shave for 5 or more days with no problems. It's only a dull edge that tells you when to toss them.

@Drubbing I agree they are not 100% old school carbon. They are the same thickness as modern SS blades and apparently have a PTFE coating. But they are not SS blades. The easiest way to settle the argument is to PM me your address and I'll send you a few. Sorry for dragging the thread off topic..