Gaming - PC or Console...it goes here

JugV2

Simply boring.
I figured it's time for me to start a gaming thread. I know RM games when he isn't dashing to server halls at midnight because GT crashed P&C again...

So who else games, what type, console or PC?

I've been a gamer for many years and it's one of my favourite pursuits.

You name it and I have probably played it.

I figured it's time for me to start a gaming thread. I know RM games when he isn't dashing to server halls at midnight because GT crashed P&C again...

So who else games, what type, console or PC?

I've been a gamer for many years and it's one of my favourite pursuits.

You name it and I have probably played it.

I used to play an MMORPG (Ultima Online) many years ago, but that was devouring way too many hours of my life, so when I quit it, I pretty much stopped playing any games for almost 10 years.
In that period I did buy a Nintendo Wi, but never played it that much, and it has ended up living at my parents house where they occassionally play Wi Sports.

In the last year or so I reactivated my Steam account (I say reactivated, I just signed back in), and have been slowly amassing a collection through Humble Bundle and the like deals, and Steam sales.

I am currently up to 128 games, of which I think I have played 10 for more than a few minutes. I've never really been much into the FPS type games, and when I have tried, I have been useless at them as everyone else seems to have had 10 years of using the wasd button setup and I just get confused.

One of the benefits of being so far behind in computer hardware and gaming time is that I can now buy some of the classics and experience them for a fraction of the new cost.

Recently I have been playing FTL, Limbo, Pinball FX2, The Binding of Isaac, and Half-Life 2 (with an xbox 360 controller). As you can see my choices are leaning heavily on the indie games.

I remember Ultima. I never got into the MMORPG's, despite having a background in D&D in high school in the 80's and 90's.

First Person Shooters have always been my favourite. I started off with Doom, then Descent, COD and Far Cry.

I do like games like Warzone 2000 (on PS) and the Civilisation series has always fascinated me.

I've given up buying hard media games i.e on disc - I love the freedom of digital delivery and I think it's a fantastic model for selling games.

Steam, Origin and even the Ubisoft one...which escapes me momentarily. So much better with decent bandwidth.

Excellent thread :)

I have been gaming since C64 and Apple II days. Have owned a few consoles over the years but PC gaming has always been my main platform.

I do play some FPS games, but I'm not exactly competitive. I enjoy the single player of some of the older ones like MOHAA and COD.

These days, its mostly RPGs like Skyrim and Fallout

My first PC was a Tandy Color Computer 128K.

I had a game called Dungeons of Daggorath which was the first ever FPS dungeon crawler I ever saw. This was back in the 80's in Sydney.

Since then, Amstrad, Amiga, C64, then a 166Mhz PC.

I like consoles for racing games such as Gran Turismo but I prefer PC's for everything else.

At the moment I am playing BL2, Fallout New Vegas, BF:Bad Company 2, Skyrim and BF3.

You old fart!

I like consoles for racing games such as Gran Turismo but I prefer PC's for everything else.

This describes me also. I only purchase playstations when a) they are as cheap as they will ever get and b) all the Gran Turismo games that are going to be released for them have been released. In other words, I'll be buying a PS3 fairly soon!

You old fart!

This describes me also. I only purchase playstations when a) they are as cheap as they will ever get and b) all the Gran Turismo games that are going to be released for them have been released. In other words, I'll be buying a PS3 fairly soon!

I was 11 or 12 when I got this computer so no, not too old. I'm 39 in case you are curious.

So you guys can play your sort of games and RM and I will play ours :)

Glenn mate, you can't tell me you never picked up a game controller and played some Mario Kart or Sonic.

I was 11 or 12 when I got this computer so no, not too old. I'm 39 in case you are curious.

Glenn mate, you can't tell me you never picked up a game controller and played some Mario Kart or Sonic.

Fraid so Jug (and one "n" only thanks) - the only games have ever played on a computer system were Lemmings and the original Doom - no good at either so gave up. I presume Mario Kart is some sort of car racing game and I would have no idea what a game called Sonic would be about. You must remember my peak game playing years were when Pacman and Space Invaders were all the rage :)

Fraid so Jug (and one "n" only thanks) - the only games have ever played on a computer system were Lemmings and the original Doom - no good at either so gave up. I presume Mario Kart is some sort of car racing game and I would have no idea what a game called Sonic would be about. You must remember my peak game playing years were when Pacman and Space Invaders were all the rage :)

Fairy nuff.

Ahh PacMan. Well there's no harm in that...and it's never too late to learn!

Gaming superstardom began and ended for me the 36 hours I held the high score at Asteroids.

Had to wag school to get to your hours and chops up, and play against real people, with real sledging and real crowds. Kids of today, have it cushy, sitting a at home, with headphones on...

Fairy nuff.

Ahh PacMan. Well there's no harm in that...and it's never too late to learn!

Of course I forgot the greatest game ever Frogger on the C64 - bought a machine for my lad and this was the game we all played. Nobody died - you weren't trying to kill anyone - just hop from lily pad to lily pad and avoid the crocs.

I am currently up to 128 games, of which I think I have played 10 for more than a few minutes. I've never really been much into the FPS type games, and when I have tried, I have been useless at them as everyone else seems to have had 10 years of using the wasd button setup and I just get confused.

90 games on steam for me. Another six on Origin.

You young flash bastard... I dreamed of a colour computer. I *built* a Sinclair ZX-80 (buying the solder it yourself kit saved £20 on an £80 buy and I was into electronic construction at the time). 1 whole kilobyte of RAM (count it all...), No sound, monochrome, text and block graphics only and when it was processing the screen went blank... So shoot em ups were out of the question.

Since then I have never been without some sort of hone computer (first PC was built out of parts I begged, borrowed or failed to return... Ran MS-DOS 2.0 until acquisition of old 10 megabyte SASI HD in a 19" rack forced me to upgrade to 2.11 to get subdirectory support... Now that was flash....)

43 btw

My brother made one of the first calculators from a kit a couple of years before the speccy. Next was the zx, and after that a dragon 32.

Heads up PC gamers, Good Old Games is offering Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics for free:

http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series_giveaway_winter_promo_2013

(website is being hammered at the moment, might have to try a few times to get through).

If you don't have a GoG account I'd recommend getting one. All their games are DRM free and pre-packaged to work on modern operating systems. Not to mention that have free game offers fairly often (I've got 15 free games in my library now)

nice one mate. The site looks ok...geez we are going to end up with a bunch of memberships now to online distro sites I reckon.

That all sounds fantastic -

But I think I'll stick with my World of Tanks and the very occasional MOHAA or Battlefield 2 :cool:

For those looking to find some cheap games if the Steam sales didn't appeal (and they didn't to me at all);

BUNDLESTARS!

Looking at great packs of 6-10 games in a theme for in most cases around $4-$8. Virtually all of them are Steam Keys.

I just spent a few dollars on the following:

• Planes, Trains & Automobiles Bundle
  • Cities in Motion Bundle
  • Outer Limits Bundle
  • The Superpower Sims Bundle
  • Tropico Pack
  • GTR Evolution

Well worth it guys. I registered a second Steam Account to use with a Steambox attached to my TV, so I can play whatever on my PC and the kids can play on the TV at the same time when they visit.