G'day Aussie Wet Shavers

SpeedyPC

NEEDS more soaps ...
Grand Society
2017 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
G'day Aussie Wet Shavers,

After 23 years of using the standard cartridge razors, disposable razors and foam creams, I've decided too change over to Safety Razors and I've got myself a EJ DE89 Extra Grip Knurled with a Simpsons Duke 3 Best Badger 2-band along with Tabac Shaving Soap and Derby Extra Blades.

Off I went giving myself a bloody great shave It was the best shave I've ever had in my life and I didn't cut myself thanks goodness, than suddenly when I finish shaving and so on when I looked at my face it turn out to be smooth as a baby bare bum.

I'm glad I've found an Australian website for all the help and information I need on Wet Shaving and looking forward to this, any way Happy Late New Year all.

Cheers.

I thought I did the right thing when buying the things I like, because I had to do a lot of Google research for about a month before buying the things I need for a start.

Any way since I got myself a bloody Duke 3 best which has cost me $200......Ouch! Because I really want that brush so bad cause it reminds me of my grand-dad who had a Duke 2 and it feels like he was still behind me watching while I'm lathering up my face before shaving, really missed him very much,

Question if you could help me is the Simpsons Duke 3 Best Badger 2-band brush belong to bowl lathering or face lathering because I really want to look after this brush and hope it will last a lifetime, also I have a Semogue 830 Boar Brush if I get worried about the Duke 3.

Last edited:
Welcome Speedy. Sounds like you've got a great set up there (except for the Derby blades;))
Your grandfather obviously had great taste. I love my Duke 2.

I wouldn't be to concerned about whether the brush is a face latherer or bowl latherer. It's more about what you prefer. It is a short handled brush so some might think it's better for face lathering, but I'm sure it would be a great bowl lathering brush too. Brushes aren't really strict bowl or face latherers. Most can do both easily.
Try face lathering, try bowl lathering, try palm lathering. See what you prefer.

Hi mate - great kit to start although the Derby blades are a little controversial - lots of haters of them around!

In relation to caring for the Duke 3 don't get too concerned. Unless it is a shedder with hair loss you will notice quickly it will last your lifetime whether you bowl or face lather. Don't grind it into the soap/bowl or you can damage the knot but apart from that - all good!

Thanks Psmith I'll try some combination and see what turns out and I find bowl lathering is much quicker building the lather than face lathering find my understand.

Speaking of derby blades I'm not ready to tryout the feather blades which kinda scary and I've read a lot of reviews about feather DE blades, I just need some time and getting used too safety razors sometimes I have a bloody bad habit and forget not to to apply any pressure lucky me I didn't bash up my chin with a DE razor.

Don't grind it into the soap/bowl or you can damage the knot

Thanks Mark I'll keep that in mind and do you guys have any information on what is the correct way on cleaning the Duke 3, because I'm not sure IF I'm allow to post this clip from geofatboy see link
Please tell me what you think guys and how often do you clean the badger brush??

Last edited:
Hi @SpeedyPC and welcome to Paste & Cut. You will fit in here just nicely.

The Duke 3 in Best is a great brush. I own one too. Although I face lather 95% of the time this brush is just as suited to bowl lathering. Great advice above on how to look after it.

Derby's are only good for 1 or 2 shaves depending on your beard type. PM me your address and I'll send you some samples of other blades that you can try.

It sounds like you're well on the way.

Welcome @SpeedyPC - I absolutely agree: you have a great starting line up here!

The Duke 3 has a fantastic reputation and I really think you made a great choice!

As with every brush though - they will wear out. I read somewhere, that a badger brush lasts ~7 years of daily shave if looked after.

So if you want to keep it as long as possible, I would recommend the following:

1. don't use too much pressure (don't mash the brush into your face/bowl)
2. wash the brush properly with warm (not hot) water and once all the soap residues are out with cold water to close the outer shafts again
3. let the brush dry fully before the next use
4. maybe have more than 1 brush in your rotation

The whole bowl vs. face lather is absolute nonesense - key is the pressure you use.

Hey @SpeedyPC - good questions and some good answers above.

I use this method to clean my brushes and do so once, maybe twice a year. The first lather after cleaning is always a dud, some people also do a final run through with hair conditioner and others swear by combing the brush.

My brushes are all vintage with largely their original knots - I'm not sure whether they were not used much originally but they are certainly more than 7 years old! @alfredus is probably talking about constant use though.

I actually have a seven day rotation of brushes I use so they all have a chance to dry off completely. Everybody NEEDS a seven day set of brushes ;)

Welcome to the insanity, hope your stay is long and mutually fruitful :)

Rotating a few brushes is a good idea.
Resist the urge to try new items until you've been hitting up that same setup for at least a month.

4. maybe have more than 1 brush in your rotation

G'day Alfredus,

I've already bought a Semogue 830 along with the Duke 3 just in case, and I thought a spare backup should save my bare backside IF the $200 D3 might fail me so that why I was planning this very carefully that's I thought I was doing the right thing.

1. don't use too much pressure (don't mash the brush into your face/bowl)

I would never dare kill this D3 bush and thanks for reminding because I got carried away enjoying myself 3hrs ago when I got out of the shower and started lathering my face, cause I was really really enjoying the bloody D3 brush and I'm getting that wonderful feeling of this brush so much and suddenly I said to myself ' Man! this Duke 3 feels like a Godfather King of Australian Wet Shaving'

And IF your saying the D3 might last 7 years than the $200 bloody brush is very well worth spending, while I'm looking after the brush otherwise my mother will KILL me because she ask me how much this stupid little brush.......................Man! women what do they know about Wet Shaving every man should really enjoy this highly hand made badger brush, and not robot machine factory made brush otherwise this could end up breaking my heart so bad that going to make me crying out loud.

Last edited:
There's a downside to fat handmade brushes. Simpson's QA is good, but they're limited by the materials and the human factor. So some brushes do shed. They'll live for years doing so, but it's a major pain in the arse when you think about how much was spent.

I got off that treadmill years ago and barely use my Classic, preferring synthetics. Because they make better lather. It's proven, cos I've provened it.

Thanks @Mark1966 for the link from B&B which I'm no longer going back to that website ever again, since I have been insulting by the moderators via PM twice and not giving myself a chance to try and learn following the B&B forum rule when I was trying to help out and they won't accept a youtube direct link and my post got deleted.......Anyway long story.

Mark the link you've provide and they used 'Vinegar' for cleaning the brush is bloody strange I'm sure I don't want my brush end up smelling like Vinegar, thanks for that and taking some notes down in my pad to remind me next time when my brush need cleaning.

Thanks @Mark1966 for the link from B&B which I'm no longer going back to that website ever again, since I have been insulting by the moderators via PM twice and not giving myself a chance to try and learn following the B&B forum rule when I was trying to help out and they won't accept a youtube direct link and my post got deleted.......Anyway long story.

Getting banned from YKW is automatic life membership here. You don't even have to try hard...