G'day Aussie Wet Shavers

Mark the link you've provide and they used 'Vinegar' for cleaning the brush is bloody strange I'm sure I don't want my brush end up smelling like Vinegar, thanks for that and taking some notes down in my pad to remind me next time when my brush need cleaning.

Vinegar is an optional step but is a well known natural disinfectant - a mild acetic acid made even milder with the dilution. You are ONLY soaking the knot in the solution, not the handle and the aim, after the initial cleaning step, is to disinfect and also remove any deep set soap scum.

Rinsing well afterwards and leaving to dry my brushes don't smell of vinegar. If that was a worry use a conditioner afterwards on the brush or just lather it again and you will be fine with no smell.

As always some great advice here!

I can totally relate - if you enjoy a brush, you sometimes don't want to stop lathering :D

Marks method of cleaning brushes is common knowledge and well regarded. It might seem counter intuitive to you, but if so many people do it like that, you might want to at least give it a try.

You also avoided one of the most common (for me anyway) mistakes: having only a new boar brush to start with.

I would recommend breaking in you 830 while using the D3. Palm lather it every 2nd day (just wash the lather down the sink). It will take at least 1 month before the lather is really up to scratch and another 1 or 2 before the softness of the brush gets there. Just don't forget to let it fully dry before using it again.

In the meantime why not get a synthetic as your 2nd/3rd brush and see if you like it better than the D3? I doubt it, but you never know until you try.

That way you have in no time a rotation of 3 and the D3 can get some rest from time to time ;)

Thanks for the feedback alfredus and I'll start breaking in the 830 today for while until the brush has soften up a bit so I can give my D3 a darn good rest, also I've order a 3rd brush is a Semogue 1800 is coming in mail soon and when that one arrived and I'll start breaking the 3rd brush as well and I believe 3 brushes is enough during my shaving rotation.

Cheers

Hey Speedy and welcome. Plenty of brush affecionardos here (as you can see!). You have probably come across this in your research but there are 4 main fibres in shaving brushes: badger, boar, horse and synthetic. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and all make great lather (if you have some great soap [emoji6]).

Speaking of soap, do you have anything in addition to the Tabac?

Yes I have another soap which I haven't used it just yet and it call Maca Root Shave Cream from Body Shop got this from my brother on Christmas Day.
It's a good solid cream. [emoji106]

Hey Speedy and welcome. Plenty of brush affecionardos here (as you can see!). You have probably come across this in your research but there are 4 main fibres in shaving brushes: badger, boar, horse and synthetic. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, and all make great lather (if you have some great soap [emoji6]).

Speaking of soap, do you have anything in addition to the Tabac?

Sorry @filobiblic, but could you please summarise the main weaknesses of each hair-type - especially the badger ones :D :D :D

Sorry @filobiblic, but could you please summarise the main weaknesses of each hair-type - especially the badger ones :D :D :D
Badger, too rough for cheap, too expensive for quality.
Synthetic, doesn't hold moisture.
Boar, takes too long to break in and rough.
Horse, only one manufacturer and quality is abysmal (also not densely packed, so you end up with a floppy mop)!