G'day to all the fellow wet shavers

Volare

Hi Gents,

Long time lurker here. Think its about time I sign-up and get involved. Some of you may have seen my occasional posts on the other wet shaving forums.

I have been traditional wet shaving now for about 12 months. I think my 12 month anniversary is sometime between now and Saturday :). Its not a long time by all means and I'm definitely still learning.

My go-to would have to be my Muhle R89. I have a few boar brushes already and my preferred brushes would have to be the Omega 48 & Omega 10077. I'm still going through the process of testing a variety of blades, so I can't say that I have favourite DE blade just yet (even Derby's work great for me and I find it surprising how so many dislike them). Its probably still early days though.

Anyway, I thought this would be as good a time as any to sign-up and get involved with ya all.

Looking forward to it.

Enjoy hump day and have a great week everyone.

Cheers,

Welcome @Volare - I'm sure you will enjoy it here! What about soaps and/or creams - any favourites?

G'day @Volare Welcome to P&C Wet Shaving Australian Fan Club, or shall I say G'day Smoking Dean Martin and see that you have a Muhle R89 which I've already bought this yesterday from Shaver Hut and waiting for the mail to arrived around Monday. I still love my EJ DE89 Extra Grip Knurled and I want to experience the Muhle R89 Classic Close Comb, and it shouldn't be that much difference between Edwin Jagger DE89 vs Muhle R89 any way I can't wait to drive the R89 soon.

Cheers.

Welcome @Volare -What about soaps and/or creams - any favourites?

Thanks Alfredus. ATM, I have 6 different creams/soaps in rotation, which I should probably reduce. Proraso Green Soap, Palmolive Classica (Italian) SC, Super-Max Menthol SC, Arko Soap stick, TOBS Avocado, & Valobra Almond soft soap. The last two I've rarely used during the warmer months. Out of all of the one's mentioned, I'd have to say TOBS Avocado would have to be my favourite. It seems to be the slickest, most protective and moisturising out of the lot. I'm a little underwhelmed with Valobra. I tried Arko for the first time last weekend - I know there are many on here who don't like it, but I had an awesome shave with it and have no issues at all with the scent. Its a classic Turkish lemon/soapy scent and you can't beat it for the price. Personally, I can't understand how people get their knickers in a knot about scents.

BTW - your SOTD photo's rock. Thanks for sharing

I noticed a thread on "Natio" Calming ASB. I have insufficient privileges atm, so I can't provide a heads-up as yet, so maybe someone else can provide a heads-up once they see this post.

Priceline have 40% off skincare until Thursday 28 Jan, which also includes their balms and splashes. Some Priceline stores also stock Natio - which means you'll be able to buy Natio Calming ASB for $7.77. That's a great price for a 200ml bottle and I do rate it highly. Priceline stores that are likely to stock Natio will be the stores that "do not have a Pharmacy" (also known as corporate stores).

Link is available here

BTW - I'm not affiliated with Priceline in any way, but I noticed a few posts where others have mentioned they have purchased it from DJ's & Myer etc. You can also get it from Priceline and thought I'd provide a heads-up on the sale.

Welcome, and just hang on for a couple of clock orbits and you will be sweet to post.

Priceline have 40% off skincare until Thursday 28 Jan, which also includes their balms and splashes. Some Priceline stores also stock Natio - which means you'll be able to buy Natio Calming ASB for $7.77. That's a great price for a 200ml bottle and I do rate it highly. Priceline stores that are likely to stock Natio will be the stores that "do not have a Pharmacy" (also known as corporate stores).

@Volare thanks for the heads up I'm heading to priceline and grab "Natio" Calming ASB 200ml bottle for $7.77 that's 40% off.

Cheers.

@Volare thanks for the heads up I'm heading to priceline and grab "Natio" Calming ASB 200ml bottle for $7.77 that's 40% off.

You're welcome Speedy. Maybe let the others know as well in this thread or in the heads-up section. I can't post atm and probably won't have time in the morning. At least it will give others the opportunity to buy a bottle throughout the day.

Hey there mate - nice to have you join us here.

Thanks for the heads up about the Natio - it's great stuff.

What aftershaves have you used over the past year and what's your current "go to"?

Hey there mate - nice to have you join us here.

Thanks for the heads up about the Natio - it's great stuff.

What aftershaves have you used over the past year and what's your current "go to"?

Thanks @filobiblic

Not a massive range over the last year and my go-to at this current stage would have to be Natio Calming ASB.

Off the top of my head, other aftershaves over the last year would include:

- Alum (Indian or Osma, same same, but different), TN Dickinson's WH, Olay Men Post Shave Toner, Brut Aussie, Brut Euro, Imperial Leather, Adidas Team Five, Nivea Sensitive, L'Oreal Hydra Energetic ASB (which is gel-based), The Body Shop Aftershave Gel (no longer produced), Saint Charles Shave Bay Rum ASM (a little greasy for me), David Jones ASB (too thick and greasy for me). There's a few others I have stashed away which I'll try in the coming weeks.

Belated welcome mate!

Welcome to the insanity.
Hope your stay is long and mutually beneficial.

[QUOTE="Volare, post: even Derby's work great for me and I find it surprising how so many dislike them). Its probably still early days though.
[/QUOTE]
Absolutely agree. Being the Derby exclusive distributors in Australia i was really puzzled about this at first but now i probably have an idea about it. There are many fans of Derby out there among home users such as yourself as well as the ones who dislike it. The same goes with the barbers as well. The ones using Astra seems to be biased against Derby. However, especially the ones who are looking for a good price/performance balance prefer Derby. These two are the ones that are used most among barbers. Some also use Feather but not too many though. Anyway I beleive the reason why there are different opinions on Derby is mainly due to the time spent for skin preparation. Derby is a durable blade and provides a comfortable shave. However it needs some skin preparation time. The ones who does not spend the amount of time required (especially barbers) might find it dull, while the ones spending some time for skin preparation and enjoying the shave find it long lasting and close enough for a nice shave. Thats my humble opinion ofcourse. ;)