Gillette Fat Boy and Slim Razors - Value?

nsavage

nerroneous at best.
Hey guys,

Just curious as to what the general consensus regarding what these are worth is? Particularly in very good to excellent condition. Have noticed that they seem to go for a bit ($65 for good condition up to $120 +) on ebay but most of them (99.9%) are in America which means that shipping is between $30 and $40. I am concerned that either a) they are selling at hugely inflated prices and/or b) the cost of shipping to Australia does not make them worthwhile buying. I have considered buying some of the cheaper ones and hoping that they clean up alright but again I am concerned that this is quite a risk because of the postage costs.

As a caveat I might add that I am a bit of a perfectionist and would probably be disappointed if I did not get one that was in really nice condition LOL.

I managed to snipe a fat boy in great condition for $57 AUD delivered. Advice from @Monsta_AU regarding purchase price in slims from ebay that I received, was anything under $50 USD delivered is reasonable. Fatboys do tend to go for more in the ones that I've been seeing on ebay. Happy to keep an eye out and send through any ebay items that may be worth a look if you want?

That would be awesome! thanks. Guess you just need to wait for the right one to come along!

How long ago did you get yours and can you remember how much the postage was?

eBay is not the only avenue to find these razors. Facebook have dedicated buy/sell groups that cater to shaving enthusiasts. Most are in the U.S. and there is a smaller one for Aussies. I prefer to buy from these Facebook groups because I'm buying a pre-loved item from a fellow enthusiast. These guys take more pride in the items they sell. They all take Paypal and I'm sure that you can negotiate the method of shipping - at most it should cost no more than $15 postage.

There are other means of getting cheaper postage from the U.S. Click here for further details.

Let me know if you are interested and I will PM you the details.

eBay is not the only avenue to find these razors. Facebook have dedicated buy/sell groups that cater to shaving enthusiasts. Most are in the U.S. and there is a smaller one for Aussies. I prefer to buy from these Facebook groups because I'm buying a pre-loved item from a fellow enthusiast. These guys take more pride in the items they sell. They all take Paypal and I'm sure that you can negotiate the method of shipping - at most it should cost no more than $15 postage.

There are other means of getting cheaper postage from the U.S. Click here for further details.

Their is an Australian Facebook buy/sell group and they love fatboys and slims their and regularly sell them in that group.

Their is an Australian Facebook buy/sell group and they love fatboys and slims their and regularly sell them in that group.
We're the link mate ?

Ditto I would be interested in the fb groups too.

On postage I think I looked at forwarding services like shipto but their cost added to US postage and postage to Australia seemed to add up to more than direct postage when I did the sums on individual razors if I recall correctly.

Part of the challenge for the Yanks is that the cheaper postage, first class mail, doesn't meet the PayPal requirements so they are exposed for claims AND requires a trip to the post office and standing in line there - a pain when they can have USPS pick up domestic parcels at no extra cost.

My US purchases most commonly came in the small, flat rate priority box - but I think that this costs $US24.95 now (was $US15 when I started collecting in 2010)

I could be wrong about this, there might be better ways.

@Mark1966 accept my Facebook friend request so that I can send you invites to the groups. Of course there is Shave Nook but you already know about that one (y)

Many, but not all items for sale are inclusive of domestic postage (as the Americans call it, CONUS) so you only have to pay the international leg. Just today I shipped a brush using Shipito (standard airmail) and it set me back $US4.55. I've shipped razors for less. Many sellers will not ship overseas and this is where Shipito comes in handy.

@nsavage has been taken care of.

Others wanting invites to these groups will need to friend me on Facebook so that I can send invites. That's how it works.

@Mark1966 accept my Facebook friend request so that I can send you invites to the groups. Of course there is Shave Nook but you already know about that one (y)

Done - noticed I have 36 friend requests I'd forgotten about on FB - may apologies if anybody else here ...

Many, but not all items for sale are inclusive of domestic postage (as the Americans call it, CONUS) so you only have to pay the international leg. Just today I shipped a brush using Shipito (standard airmail) and it set me back $US4.55. I've shipped razors for less.

Interesting. On eBay of course the final price is usually plus shipping whether domestic or international and free shipping is not a common option. Even on overseas forums sellers have often deducted US shipping and then added the cost to 'Down Under' when they will post here. Can I ask whether the $US4.55 was a box or a padded bag? I've always insisted on a box and I suppose my more recent purchases also had cases usually.

Many sellers will not ship overseas and this is where Shipito comes in handy.

Yep - I've had other US forum members or another forwarding service I've used for that very reason.

By default Shipito will on forward the item in the same box or envelope that the item arrived in. For an additional fee you can request it to be repackaged into a box with additional padding. Upon arrival to your Shipito address you will get a notification and a digital photo of the parcel. You then decided if you want it re-packaged. Better still insist that the seller packages it in a box.

@Mark1966 and @Korbz - got your requests added you to the list. You will be added to the Facebook BST groups pending admin approval. Their formalities but it won't take long.

Last edited:
WOW - Facebook has becoming a dangerous place!!!!

My newsfeed is full of tempting shaving offers - I don't even have to go searching :)

Thanks @Lifes a Peach - I think ...

WOW - Facebook has becoming a dangerous place!!!!

My newsfeed is full of tempting shaving offers - I don't even have to go searching :)

Thanks @Lifes a Peach - I think ...
...has becoming...

That's unlike you mate, please pick which period of time we're discussing mate :p

I think the Fatboy is a good looking razor though wouldn't get much use here. Just think one would look good in my rack (O' my; I'm starting to sound like @Mark1966). Can you get an idea of the sales/prices without being a facebook member. They're very tool/workbench looking bits of gear.

G'day,

I'm thinking about buying a 1966 Gillette Slim Adjustable DE Safety Razor L4, what do you think guys is that a great option.

Cheers ;)(y)
Have you used a vintage razor or an adjustable razor before? The Slim adjustable is a solid razor - it works well for most people.

Depends on the condition will depend on how much you pay for it. Average would be $30-50 I'd say. Of course higher for an excellent condition with case - or the gold plated version.

Post some pictures and we could give some thoughts on condition/value.

Another option is to borrow a razor from someone local to you. Going along to a shaving meet means you can swap razors or soaps just to try.

The one that you linked to above is restored, not new. Certainly clean though. If you want something new then you need a hunt one down in eBay marked as NOS, or New Old Stock. You can always post a wanted ad for a NOS Slim however finding one with a L4 date code stamp is going to quite a challenge.

Alternatively buy a user-grade Slim and clean it up yourself.

@Draco Noir or @Mark1966 - any advice on hunting for NOS Slims on eBay?