Gillette "Old" Single Ring Safety Razor?

Greenpike

So I thought I picked up a German Single Ring clone today from from a vintage store in Guildford. It was $10 with no obvious markings and still had an old Wilkinson blade loaded. No biggie so no acquisition posting. It was sitting sadly next to a crusty but cased 1960s Ball End Tech for $45 and a Gold Boxed number for $125.

Looking at the razor tonight after getting home from a dinner engagement... it does have markings. It has well rubbed patent numbers in the correct place and a serial number that would make it a proper Gillette model 102 from 1909. I cannot see any handle cracks.

Good buy?
1372643e8784ae1cd8127cc6709ea348.jpg
4a49526839ec259a0665d4c66a45ab4a.jpg

Oh and there were also 13 unopened packets of these NOS blades for $1 each. Not a bad day...
8395c64b4f29f7ac74b025eb46d54098.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pick-up on the Single Ring mate - one interesting razor to use and a cool bit of history.

Aluminium foil and baking soda will resolve any tarnish issues or you can get re-plated. While the teeth look OK from what I can see if they are bent you can bend these back - unlike some of the later cast heads which just snap very easily.

What was the 'Gold Boxed number for $125'? You didn't think to take a pic did you? The $45 Tech is a walk away but the $125 might be worth haggling about. At $10 and $1 per pack of 5 blades you did well IMHO.

Nice pick-up on the Single Ring mate - one interesting razor to use and a cool bit of history.

Aluminium foil and baking soda will resolve any tarnish issues or you can get re-plated. While the teeth look OK from what I can see if they are bent you can bend these back - unlike some of the later cast heads which just snap very easily.

What was the 'Gold Boxed number for $125'? You didn't think to take a pic did you? The $45 Tech is a walk away but the $125 might be worth haggling about. At $10 and $1 per pack of 5 blades you did well IMHO.

Thanks for that, Mark.

I think the gold plated one was a ABC Razor Pocket set for Gillette now I've had a chance to look up what I saw online. Ornate handle. Box interior in poor condition but razor and box seemingy ok. From memory it had some bent teeth. I would have probably purchased it instantly if the interior of the box had been presentable. Is that a good price?