Gillette Red Tip. Quick review

JayDee

I got a Red Tip off Mark1966 in his current garage sale. :) I picked it for two reasons:
1. It was cheap, especially compared to some of the gear that I'd need to take a 2nd mortgage to afford - as if I'd get that past SWMBO !!
2. From what I'd read it would provide a similar aggressiveness to my preferred Slim setting of 5 with a Spoiler.

Loaded up a new Spoiler and gave it a whirl this morning. From what I'd read its blade gap should be similar to a Slim on about 4 or 5 and it certainly looked liked it visually. Couldn't be bothered getting the micrometer out. However, despite the blade gap being like a Slim on maybe 5, it definitely shaved like a Slim on 7 or maybe even 8 which is a tad aggressive for me . Buggered if I know why, but it did... :huh:

However, I found it to be a beautifully balanced razor and got a DFS with no cuts or weepers. I was careful though. Mr Gillette knew his shit in 1956. As they say YMMV but I think it will be a perfect razor (for me) with a more modern blade. Next time I'll load it up with something slightly duller like an Astra SP and I think it may be perfect for me.

Glad you like it, and thanks for the review.

I think the Red Tip is easily one of my favourite DE razors. It just seems to be a very well-rounded packaged: the right weight, the right balance and the right sized blade gap.

Glad you enjoyed it John - Happy Shaving!!!!

Update. Loaded the Red Tip with an Astra this morning. They were made for each other... I'd only tried the Astra in a Weishi previously and it didn't really cut it (pardon the pun) in such a mild razor. The extra bite really allows the blade to work to the best of its ability. Which is cool as I have a heap of modern blades that I can happily use with the Red Tip which would of been wasted in the Slim. I can now save my precious Spoilers and Schicks for the Slim.

Glad that Red Tip is working for you!