Great Scott!! It is 'wee' - but butterscotch as well!

Mark1966

Canberra dwelling Happy Clapping Bean Counter
Staff member
Site Moderator
Grand Society
2016 Sabbatical Fail
2018 Charity Auction Winner
2019 Charity Auction Winner
2020 Charity Auction Winner
Apologies for the 'Dad' joke in the title.

A great week with the mail person.

A cute but nondescript little box

... that was worth 17 shillings and six-pence

Oh look, how cute!

It is a little toy shaving brush! It was clearly what was worth 17/6

But it really is 'wee' (small, tiny) with dimensions of:

Handle diameter 22mm
Knot diameter 13mm
Handle height 26mm
Loft 35mm
Overall height 61mm

I knew that the 'Wee Scot' was 'wee' but I wasn't expecting THIS small.

To give some idea of comparative size here are some of my other butterscotch Simpsons

All lined up they are (L - R): No. 10, No. 41, M1, B2, The Duke, Wee Scot

Same again but without The Duke

Not sure what to do with this one. I wanted to try one and knew they were small - but this is smaller than I expected!

Last edited:
So, you've finally got a real "no sticker required" Simpson. You have to admit, it looks a lot better than all those stickers. If the knot's OK, it'll work just fine. The knot looks a bit scraggy but that could be the pictures. Looks like a different knot to the Best they use nowadays. Nice score. How'd ya do that, right from under the noses of all the brush tragics out there? When you see the Nano Wee Scot which is even smaller (and older and extremely hard to find), then you really have to start thinking about getting a Ken doll before it makes any sense.

I've used mine all week and nowadays rarely get soap on my hand. The trick is to use just enough soap to create enough lather for the number of passes you're planning on. That's generally the secret of face lathering but is critical with the Wee if you don't want to get your hand covered in soap. I've also loaded it from a bowl. I've never done it but I can't imagine lathering from a bowl with a Wee would be particularly handy. Of course you have to forego all attempts at using your namesakes famous (dumbarsed) method 'cause you'll be up to your elbow in the stuff.

Last edited:
The M1 is no sticker required - it has lampe black!

How did I get it? Bid more! The simplest way I find.

There is not much not there but it looks pretty much unused to my eye. The pics are pretty ordinary I admit BTW - sorry about that.

Aside from the knot material it looks pretty much identical to the contemporary Wee. I've put a few o-rings round mine. It gives a lot more grip for my sausage fingers but looks pretty cool too. I was going to put it away and dig out another brush but I'll keep going with it for a while longer now. I'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it. I think it's the best looking and, aside from what some might have against it's size, the best proportioned brush they make.

I've seen pics of the nano - really tiny!!!

Not sure whether I will keep this or not. I know I'm not a fan of BIG brushes but am curious about this little one ...

I've seen pics of the nano - really tiny!!!

Not sure whether I will keep this or not. I know I'm not a fan of BIG brushes but am curious about this little one ...

You'll be fine. At the very least it'll make it's way to your travel set up.

You'll be fine. At the very least it'll make it's way to your travel set up.

Worlds most expensive travel brush?

I already have a nice travel brush I'm used to :D

"Not sure what to do with this one..."

"I already have a nice travel brush...."

"I wasn't expecting this small...."

"Worlds most expensive travel brush..."

You're basically not Wee-Worthy.

I admit, I can't stop thinking "what's the bloody point of that?" when I look at the pictures. :laugh:

I like that B2 though. Does it have a different grade of hair to the rest of them? It looks dark in comparison, not unlike the pure badger I've been looking at lately.

I admit, I can't stop thinking "what's the bloody point of that?" when I look at the pictures. :laugh:

I like that B2 though. Does it have a different grade of hair to the rest of them? It looks dark in comparison, not unlike the pure badger I've been looking at lately.

The B2 I'd used that morning and was still wet - this is why I NEED a seven day rotation of brushes!

The hair, from memory is:

No. 10 - Best
No. 41 - Pure
M1 - Best
B2 - Pure
The Duke - Best

But I've heard that the grades have changed over the years. Many manufacturers used the term 'pure' in the sense of all so pure badged was all badger rather than a grade

Unfortunately there is no unified standard. Whatever a manufacturer decides is pure/silvertop/two band/three band/best/Manchurian/high mountain/European/Chinese/virgin is entirely discretionary. And I'm sure that whole scenario would have been completely different over the years too.

Last edited:
I admit, I can't stop thinking "what's the bloody point of that?" when I look at the pictures............

Maybe, but it's one of the best selling brushes they produce. Wees generally never lasted more than a few minutes on the buy and sell forum over at YKW. On the other hand I look at most of the other brushes in that picture and think what's the point of them! I admit that every time a dig it out I think this thing is really small even compared to all my other really small brushes but when you use it you forget all that.

The B2 I'd used that morning and was still wet - this is why I NEED a seven day rotation of brushes!

Don't they dry overnight? I don't know if the comparison is fair, but my Duke and the Blobby Foo both dry out by the next morning. Do you brush them gently on a towel before standing them to dry? It seems to make quite a bit of difference to me.

Unfortunately there is no unified standard. Whatever a manufacturer decides is pure/silvertop/two band/three band/best/Manchurian/high mountain/European/Chinese/virgin is entirely discretionary. And I'm sure that whole scenario would have been completely different over the years too.

What the heck is virgin badger? One that had a bad time in high school?

Maybe, but it's one of the best selling brushes they produce. Wees generally never lasted more than a few minutes on the buy and sell forum over at YKW. On the other hand I look at most of the other brushes in that picture and think what's the point of them! I admit that every time a dig it out I think this thing is really small even compared to all my other really small brushes but when you use it you forget all that.

They do seem plenty popular amongst face latherers. I can understand that it's a functional little brush and obviously a quality little product, but as a bowl latherer, I can only wonder where the other half is. A case of YMMV, I suppose. These days, I keep wishing that there was a Video Ezy for shaving gear. Overnight or weekly rentals. New releases. Mark could run it from his garage.

Don't they dry overnight? I don't know if the comparison is fair, but my Duke and the Blobby Foo both dry out by the next morning. Do you brush them gently on a towel before standing them to dry? It seems to make quite a bit of difference to me.

Shut Up You!

They take a week to dry properly, right down to the base, darling. If I didn't have seven on the vanity darling, and only used each one of them once a week they would rot sweetheart and I would get some horrible facial infection and die. You wouldn't want that to happen dear so I know you will understand why I need these seven brushes, it is because I love you and don't want to see your widowed. Now I have seen new research that suggests it might actually take up to fourteen days for a brush to dry properly but I've not confirmed that yet ...

These days, I keep wishing that there was a Video Ezy for shaving gear. Overnight or weekly rentals. New releases. Mark could run it from his garage.

That is the thinking behind the traveling box. I've also done one with razors before and sent out some loaner razors to people to try - couldn't convince Drubs to change though! While I'm not going to share this around if there is stuff you are after PM me and we can see what can be worked out.

.........What the heck is virgin badger?..........

There is no such thing as far as I know. But we've got every other form of badger bristle so why not virgin! Manchurian virgin would be the most enticing and exotioc. Or how about high mountain virgin? Pure virgin? Silvertop virgin (that would be a very old scrubber)?

Oh dear, another thread off the rails.

Where are the mods around here!