GST on imported goods from 1 July 2018

@todras has posted about ShipTo's policy - The new drops, LE drops and product updates thread

eBay has indicated that they will collect GST at checkout for low-value items (so no avoiding this by sellers making false declarations and marking items as 'gifts')

It will be interesting to see if Facebook Marketplace booms now as FB doesn't actually have a 'checkout' where tax can be collected!

Folk have been ordering stuff from overseas sellers for years that get marked as “gifts” to avoid taxation, You can make it extra fun by dressing up as Robin Hood while you do it.

It's even more fun and like Robin hood when you don't specifically state that is what you are going to do, and it's better if you keep it a secret and don't encourage others to do it - it's much cooler that way :)

It's even more fun and like Robin hood when you don't specifically state that is what you are going to do, and it's better if you keep it a secret and don't encourage others to do it - it's much cooler that way :)
I’m not encouraging anything and as I’m not an international store selling to Australians I’m not doing it either-
I’m just speculating on the future behaviour on the inhabitants of Sherwood Forest.

TBH I would expect customs to pull folk up- I had a small parcel detained a little over a month back where they insisted I produce an invoice for it or it wouldn’t be released-
I suspect they believed it to be over the then 1k threshold but I may be wrong, they never replied to my inquiry.

What about stuff I currently have in transit?
How are they going to charge it going forward?

Giddy up! It's getting racy in here.

Also let's lay off the tax evasion stuff mmmmmmkay.

It goes without saying that Paste & Cut, its owner, moderators, staff (?) and participants do NOT encourage any unlawful activity!

What about stuff I currently have in transit?
How are they going to charge it going forward?

Yeah I am wondering this as well. I made an order from TotC on Saturday. It will be 3 months getting here, I hope it don't get held up for an extra month, packaging get all stuffed up while they stuff about getting an invoice from me and then charge me 20 bucks gst

Yeah I am wondering this as well. I made an order from TotC on Saturday. It will be 3 months getting here, I hope it don't get held up for an extra month, packaging get all stuffed up while they stuff about getting an invoice from me and then charge me 20 bucks gst

The goods were ordered prior to 1 July, no GST is payable.

I ordered $3,500.00 worth of compounds on the weekend for this very reason, avoid the 10% on the already substantial shipping costs :)

The goods were ordered prior to 1 July, no GST is payable.

I ordered $3,500.00 worth of compounds on the weekend for this very reason, avoid the 10% on the already substantial shipping costs :)
If you have an ABN and quoted it, you wouldn't have had to pay GST post 1 July anyway.

When there is mass discussion or practice of civil disobedience towards a law, said law generally is considered unreasonable and nullified.
All this will take is a brave citizen to fight this, being judged by his peers, who are also brave enough to disobey to inevitable court instruction to not entertain nullification and nullify it anyhow, to really make this interesting.

What happens if an overseas seller doesn't volunteer to be a govnuts tax collector?

Will the packages be chased up by customs even if they're obviously less than $1000 in value (for example, say you're receiving a few items from a small boutique business?)

I was of the understanding customs would only continue to check items at/near/over the $1000 threshold for high value items....

Just put this to the test on eBay. Ouch! Triple whammy! USD to AU Exchange rate + GST + GST on freight = Ouch.:cry: On the bright side, this could help to cure RAD......:cautious:....or not.....I'll just have to save longer.:)
I would've thought this will hurt eBay Australia. Like @Mark1966 said, people will naturally gravitate to other options. GST has certainly pumped life into the cash economy.